IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Looking for quality part supplier

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

aefriot
Year and Model: 2007 XC70 2.5t AWD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
aefriot

Looking for quality part supplier

Post by aefriot » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:56 am

Hello, we recently purchased a '07 XC70. The engine had a scary strong knock. The connecting rod cap on cylinder 4 had come loose and the piston broke after hitting the head...spewing bits of metal all throughout the engine. The engine must have recently have been rebuilt since all of the valves look new and the hatching in the cylinders is quite pronounced. Well, it needs to be rebuilt once again! I need to find a supplier for quality parts. We plan on keeping this car into our retirement. We will replace engine, turbo and transmission components while the vehicle is being worked on. If it makes a difference, the engine is the B5254T2. We want to see this vehicle put another 200k at 10k miles/year on the odometer while it's in our possession.

veektor
Year and Model: 2008 S60
United States of America
veektor

Re: Looking for quality part supplier

Post by veektor » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:11 am

Not sure what the forum looks like on your computer, but I have at least two "proud sponsors" ads at the top. My personal favorite for parts is FCPEuro, but that's because I also have two BMW vehicles, and love their "lifetime warranty" promise.

Are you going to attempt rebuilding the engine yourself? I bought my project Astrid with a blown engine a little over a year ago. Once I realized there was a spun rod bearing, my first thought was to rebuild the engine myself. I've done that with a Subaru Forester before, and felt confident about doing the job. But the more I read about color codes for rod and main bearings, the more expensive it became because that would require OE Volvo parts, or getting a machine shop involved. Getting a used engine from Pick-n-Pull junkyard cost me about $150, which was slightly cheaper than a new PCV breather system kit. So far I'm very pleased with Astrid's performance.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:50 am

aefriot wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:56 am
Well, it needs to be rebuilt once again! I need to find a supplier for quality parts.
Welcome to MVS. IPD, eEuro and https://www.volvowholesaleparts.com/?pa ... P_MVSforum have what you need. The first two are longtime indie parts houses, and the third is a Volvo dealer parts department. All three are MVS sponsors and have very good reputations. Tell them I sent you, and let us know your progress.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
United States of America
cn90

Post by cn90 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Mahle is a major supplier for MB, BMW, Volvo engines for years.

A better approach is a used engine with a low mileage such as 100K miles.

2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

MDK
Year and Model: 1998 xc 70
United States of America
MDK

Post by MDK » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:28 pm

Well aefriot...MDK here. If that was my wagon... I would call Erie Volvo in whitesboro New York and see if they have a good engine. The 2.5 turbo you have is pretty common. One from a sedan can be used in a wagon.. might be an alternative to having to re-building yours. Just my opinion and we all know how that goes.... also look at car-part.com for engines. You will need your vehicle indentification number ( VIN) handy. The theory is that the engine will have to come out to be rebuilt anyway and then re installed. So, less down time. MDK rolling on.

chrislankford
Year and Model: 2010 Volvo XC60 T6
United States of America
chrislankford

Post by chrislankford » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:37 am

matthew1 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:50 am
aefriot wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:56 am
Well, it needs to be rebuilt once again! I need to find a supplier for quality parts.
Welcome to MVS. IPD, eEuro and https://www.volvowholesaleparts.com/?pa ... P_MVSforum have what you need. The first two are longtime indie parts houses, and the third is a Volvo dealer parts department. All three are MVS sponsors and have very good reputations. Tell them I sent you, and let us know your progress.
Thanks for these suggestions. I have been using different part suppliers for some time, but I'm always looking for the new one. Need to buy some parts for my car.

erikv11
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
United States of America
erikv11

Post by erikv11 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:31 am

As stated by others: get a used engine and reseal it while it's on the stand. Will be faster, cheaper and easier than rebuilding the old one.

Apparently the previous rebuild job went bad quickly, why not avoid repeating that misadventure?

'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 140k
'98 S70 NA, 205k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 275k
'06 S60 R, 155k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

aefriot
Year and Model: 2007 XC70 2.5t AWD
United States of America
aefriot

Post by aefriot » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:10 pm

Thank you all. We have thought about getting an engine from salvage/donor vehicle. So far I have not found one at the $150 mark suggested by veektor. Best price I have heard of is $650 for 120k plus engines. This is a car we will keep and put another 200k miles on. I'm not sure an unfamiliar engine will allow us that many more miles. Turbos are rebuilt every 200k from what I understand. That is much better than the 100k I hear from fords. I am not unfamiliar with rebuilding engines. I'm even contemplating rebuilding the transmission myself. As I said, I want a vehicle that will allow another 200k. I am friends with a machinist who is very capable. Not fast, but very capable. I need this to be the only time we do anything major on the car as it will be ours for the long-term. Volvos have a great reputation for longevity and safety. I want my wife to be happy and safe as she travels to and from work through rain, snow, sleet or hail. No, she's not a postal worker, but very important to me. We are frugal, not cheap. We know where we need to spend the money we have. Buy quality once, not junk twice, thrice, ...

It would be nice to hear from others who have done similar to know what to look for before we get too far into this. As I said, my machinist is not fast, so I do have time to prepare a great experience for us to rebuild this car.

I will also check out the sponsors. Sorry, I have trained myself to not look at advertisements as they are typically annoying, not informative enough for me and detract from my purpose of the moment.

Thank you