IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

troubleshoot help and parts question

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
BoydCrowder
Year and Model: 2004
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
BoydCrowder

troubleshoot help and parts question

Post by BoydCrowder » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 pm

04 XC90 with t6. Thing would cut off occasionally when slowing down. Had a cracked vacuum hose. Replaced it and car idles much smoother, but then would abruptly cut off when taking foot off gas (like coasting or hitting brakes). Did it many times in short distance after replacing hose - sometimes coasting down hill at 40 miles per hour!

Was getting code for too lean bank one, bank two. Light went off after fixing vacuum hose by the way

So I unplugged the battery to reset and drove with no problem. Now it cut off again once since then just once while braking.

Any experience on this sort of thing? Fuel pump relay, Fuel pressure sensor, camshaft position sensor?

Someone said this one doesn't have a fuel pressure sensor, but Auto Zone and Rock Auto sure sell one.

Any advice greatly appreciated

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2003 XC90 T6
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: troubleshoot help and parts question

Post by wanderdüne » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:57 am

No, there is no fuel pressure sensor, rather a fuel pump control module #30742823. I cannot speak to the symptoms on the module, but there are plenty of threads on the forums about issues with that. I suggest that you change out the fuel filter first thing. Because why not, it's inexpensive, and good to rule out as a baseline.
In terms of sourcing parts, I suggest you go with OEM parts from sources like FCPeuro, iPD, RMeuropean, or Tasca and LIsle Volvo for dealer parts. These are all trusted and knowledgeable sources with good pricing.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: troubleshoot help and parts question

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:17 pm

Have you looked at the MAF? Also there is another valve - don't recall what it is called - by the Driver side strut tower (not the turbo valve). I had a similar problem and it was one of those two - but it was throwing a code.