IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Brake Noise - EBC S4KF1169 Stage-4 Signature Brake Kit

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
MoVolvos

Brake Noise - EBC S4KF1169 Stage-4 Signature Brake Kit

Post by MoVolvos » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:28 am

Install the set on the 08 C30 T5M last weekend. I paid $111 in Oct 2018. Was going to get another set after I realize how cheap they were but the price was up immediately after the initial purchase.

Delivered Nov 3, 2018
EBC S4KF1169 Stage-4 Signature Brake Kit
Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc
Return window closed on Jan 31, 2019
$110.81
Condition: New

Had the car for about half a year and after warm up the front brakes that came with the car would shimmy. The back brakes were metal to metal so was replaced right away from FCP. Although the pads were not worn you always feel like the brake would not stop the car in time. Thought the electric booster was going out. This set grabs very, very well with light peddle pressure although they are not broken in. Son read the instructions and I think it is like 500 to 1000 miles for the break in period. I've tried the Power Stops in recent years and they want you to burnish it right after installation with quite a few hard deceleration from various speeds but not full stops.

The instruction did say they will make noise during this time and I've experience this already. Not metal to metal but like those in the first minutes of the video link. If you are looking for a set that grabs very, very well with light pedal pressure this is it. Hopefully the noise will go away after they are fully seated. Has anyone used EPC or other similar brakes geared towards spirited driving and experience the noise (EDIT: Noise At Parking Lot Speeds Not AT SPEED)? Thanks.

-

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2008 C30 T5

pgill
Year and Model: 2010 S80, 2008 LR2
United States of America
pgill

Re: Brake Noise - EBC S4KF1169 Stage-4 Signature Brake Kit

Post by pgill » Wed May 01, 2019 4:16 pm

Mo,

I Run EBC brakes on my

2008 Land Rover LR2 - EBC Green Stuff

2009 Audi A4 Cabriolet with S4 brake upgrade - EBC Red Stuff

2010 Volvo S80 - EBC Ultimax 2 (My older Son drives the S80)

And I just purchase EBC Ultimax 2 Pads for my younger son's 2015 VW Jetta

The Red Stuff, which is what you have are not as quiet as the Green Stuff or the Ultimax but they are still quiet.

When I am driving the audi top down with the radio at a reasonable level I can't hear the brakes, if I am having a conversation with my passenger I can't hear the brakes.

The exception to this is if the Slide Pins are not properly greased.

If the brakes get too hot then the grease evaporates and the pins don't slide well in the bushings.

To fix the problem I remove the pins and clean them and I use a high temperature Silicone grease.

Don't use a normal petroleum based grease (like wheel bearing grease) it will swell the bushings and then the brakes will drag and really make noise.

Personally I like Silaramic by CRC

Steps to clean and grease the slide pins
1. Remove the dust cap covering the slide pin
2. Remove the pin 7 mm Hex
3. Clean the steel pin using Carburator cleaner or similar (Don't spray the rubber bushing)
4. Add new grease to the bushing
5. Reinstall the pin
6. Reinstall the dust cap
IMG_5107.JPG
good luck

Paul
These users thanked the author pgill for the post:
MoVolvos

DeadEric
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo
United States of America
DeadEric

Post by DeadEric » Wed May 01, 2019 6:57 pm

Well put... you can also put silicone grease on the calipers where they touch the brake pad backs. Don't use too much and never on braking surfaces.

The squeeks are almost always metal to metal contact points that are vibrating against each other. Lube will dampen the noise.

MoVolvos
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Wed May 01, 2019 11:43 pm

Hi Paul, thank you for the replied and great to know you've had positive experience with EBC to put them on all your cars. In terms of grease I am currently using the CRC Synthetic. Not sure how that compares or what is the difference between what you are using? Applied a liberal but even amount to all the correct surfaces including contact points mentioned by DEric. Been working on brakes since the late 70's and this is the first set of what I would consider weekend/canyon run brakes.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/crc ... ake+grease

After doing a little more driving I think the noise is from the pads and rotor gap during the break in period. With the C30 T5 being a manual and with mostly city traffic besides the brakes being so effective, it almost feel like I am always just lightly pressing the brake pedal during stops. I also put on the parking brake so the front brakes are not used to hold the car at a stop so not to cause any hot spots (doubtful but doing it anyways). The noise has gotten much less, rarely hearing the squealing. Time will tell. Going forward I will likely go with EBC Pads and/or Rotors seeing how effective this set is. This test shows a dramatic decrease in stopping distance.

Did you install the brakes yourself? I accidentally used Carburetor cleaner to clean the rotors and all the black paint came off the disc surface. On the second rotor I found the brake cleaner in moderation will not do this. If you did the installation did you leave the paint (material) on both the rotor and pads? I think you are suppose to but didn't find anything that said you must. Thanks again for the reply.

-

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2008 C30 T5

pgill
Year and Model: 2010 S80, 2008 LR2
United States of America
pgill

Post by pgill » Thu May 02, 2019 8:13 am

Mo,

Here is the link to the Grease that I think you are using

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/ ... L3301.html

And here is the link to the Silaramic

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/ ... 05361.html

They are both good products.

From the data sheet the Silaramic is rated for higher temperatures and its a Silicone based Grease and it is filled with ceramic particles to keep things quiet.

It may be worth trying.

To answer your question about the Brake Rotor I haven't tried the EBC rotors yet only the Pads.

Thanks

Paul

MoVolvos
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Thu May 02, 2019 4:02 pm

pgill wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:13 am
Mo,

Here is the link to the Grease that I think you are using

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/ ... L3301.html

And here is the link to the Silaramic

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/ ... 05361.html

They are both good products.

From the data sheet the Silaramic is rated for higher temperatures and its a Silicone based Grease and it is filled with ceramic particles to keep things quiet.

It may be worth trying.

To answer your question about the Brake Rotor I haven't tried the EBC rotors yet only the Pads.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks Paul for the links. I will try the other product next time as it seems to be pastier so easier to apply. With the cost of the EBC rotors I may try the pads only next time around mated to a name brand rotor such as Bosch, Zimmermann, Brembo... Would be interesting to see how much the EBC rotor metallurgy contributes to the overall braking experience.

-

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2008 C30 T5