IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2002 S40 Dwonpipe...not cat

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

S40Luckey
Year and Model: 2002 Volvo S40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
S40Luckey

2002 S40 Dwonpipe...not cat

Post by S40Luckey » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:41 am

OK, so the rebuilt engine, new transmission, exhaust, 14t hybrid turbo and Upsolute tune is ready to go in this weekend...and I snapped off two studs in the turbo exhaust housing angle flange.

"Not a problem!" I say to myself, then proceed to go through 8 drill bits without being able to extract. I go to Ebay and found dozens of 7cm angle-flange housings and ZERO 6cm housings. So I looked so more to no avail. I did find a ton of downpipes that look like they'd work if I had no upstream catalytic converter (no emissions testing here).

The question to everyone is...would a downpipe like the OBX (or similar) work in a 2002 S40 1.9 turbo with a 14t conversion, angle-flange and 7cm housing (without a catalytic converter upstream)? I know it may not be plug-and-play, but I'm looking for something close enough for the local shop to be able to weld to the rest of the exhaust.

What say you all?

Mark

S40Luckey
Year and Model: 2002 Volvo S40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
S40Luckey

Re: 2002 S40 Dwonpipe...not cat

Post by S40Luckey » Sat May 11, 2019 5:04 pm

Answering my own question.

It would work, but the wife wanted to be as close to stock (for emissions testing reasons) as possible. I re-used the 6cm angle-flange and an aftermarket catalytic converter. Works fine, but not as sexy or future-proof I'd say