IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2005 V70R second owner

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

movan11
Year and Model: 2005 V70 R
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
movan11

2005 V70R second owner

Post by movan11 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:25 pm

Seeking wisdom here, and sorry for the long post but I want to give as much relevant information as possible. Basically, I'm hoping to prolong engine life without being so overeager to "fix" my V70R that I make a mistake which brings about the demise I'd hoped to avoid.

2005 V70R. I bought it from a dealer last year. It had 138,000 miles on it from 1 previous owner. After changing the oil, I immediately embarked on a long road trip across the U.S.A. It ran well, and I loved driving it especially since I hadn't driven a car for about 10 years while I was living/working in Asia. However, after putting on about 3000 miles, I got a yellow ! warning Low Oil Level. No big deal: I read on Matthew's posts on this site that the V70R go through some oil. But a bit later the low coolant warning appeared. The only solution at hand was to buy some random 50/50 coolant and after the car cooled, fill the reservoir. That seemed to work.

At one point (sorry if I can't recall the order in which these things happened), I pushed the vehicle too hard going uphill on an interstate highway in Colorado. Stupid, foolish move, I know. And the temperature gauge spiked, with a red warning flashing that the engine was overheating. I immediately eased up and coasted downhill and let the engine cool. That problem did not resurface and we made it back to California without a high temperature warning.

A few months later, after a red warning message CHECK ENGINE came on, I brought the car into the Volvo dealership/service place and they told me that diagnostics showed I needed to replace the Mass Airflow Sensor. That fixed the problem: $900 parts/labor.

No big issues after that. The car has been running great except for the fact that it runs hot. I need to put in the 50/50 coolant to fill the reservoir between the Min/Max lines every month or so. I decided to keep the car and added 4 Pirelli tires. I also added front brakes.

When trying to figure out if the car running hot (but never showing a high temp reading on the dial on the dashboard) would be foolish to ignore, I brought it into Volvo service again and they did a multi-point inspection. The technician came back saying the car indeed runs hot and had news that at higher RPMs (over 3000), a tube near the engine swells up because the engine is not being cooled properly. He said it had a cracked head gasket and the repairs would be expensive due to the many hours labor cost: $5500.

I decided to wait on that and get a second opinion. That was about 10,000 miles ago and I still just occasionally refill the coolant reservoir. I drove to New Mexico and back, 1600 miles, and then Arizona and back, and all around town here and the problem doesn't seem to get worse.

My question: I'm thinking of taking the car into a Jiffy Lube for their coolant flush service (drain and replace coolant), should I do it? I've read that people warn against it. The Volvo Manual says (p. 148): "Normally, the coolant does not need to be replaced. If the system must be drained, consult your Volvo dealer."

I worry that I've now added a couple different kinds of coolant to the system over the past 15,000 miles. (Odometer now reads 157,500). I want to have it drained and replaced but can't/won't do it myself. And I'm not really in a trusting mood with the Volvo dealer in town. Would you trust Jiffy Lube with the job?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Mo.

93SCMax
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5
United States of America
93SCMax

Re: 2005 V70R second owner

Post by 93SCMax » Sat May 04, 2019 1:38 pm

movan11 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:25 pm
Would you trust Jiffy Lube with the job?
No.
You really want the Volvo coolant designed for these engines. If you can't/won't do it yourself (this is a pretty much DIY forum), find a good Indie or possibly find a car cheaper to maintain than a V70R.

Fun to drive but not cheap to maintain unless you are handy and willing with a wrench.

movan11
United States of America
movan11

Post by movan11 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:47 pm

The issue is, should the coolant be drained and replaced? Not who does it. Read the V70R post by Matthew: he had all filters and fluids replaced by other technicians when he bought his 04. I’m not concerned with cost. I want what is best for the vehicle. Thanks!

erikv11
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
United States of America
erikv11

Post by erikv11 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:55 pm

I would say that flushing the coolant is a good idea. Not necessary but if it was my car I'd do it.

JuffyLube will NOT use the best coolant for the vehicle. You are better off getting some of the Volvo coolant and topping it off yourself, than having JiffyLube do it.

'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 140k
'98 S70 NA, 205k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 275k
'06 S60 R, 155k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

93SCMax
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5
United States of America
93SCMax

Post by 93SCMax » Sat May 04, 2019 2:05 pm

movan11 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:47 pm
The issue is, should the coolant be drained and replaced? Not who does it.
I'm sorry. You asked who should do it (Jiffy Lube). I replied "no". I think you should flush the coolant if you have never done it. I also think you should stick with Volvo fluid. If you don't trust your local Volvo dealer, then find someone who can do it for you, or do it yourself. I know it's not difficult, but I understand if you don't want to do it yourself. Please don't expect an answer to a question you didn't ask.

movan11
United States of America
movan11

Post by movan11 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:09 pm

Thanks for your response again 93SCMax. You don't need to apologize. Some people have the time, skill, and knowledge to work on their own Volvos. I don't. I will take your advice and stick with Volvo Genuine coolant. Thanks again.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:45 pm

movan11 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:47 pm
The issue is, should the coolant be drained and replaced? Not who does it. Read the V70R post by Matthew: he had all filters and fluids replaced by other technicians when he bought his 04. I’m not concerned with cost. I want what is best for the vehicle. Thanks!
-> V70 R 90k miles service and V70 R 90k miles service forum discussion.

You're not price sensitive, awesome. Do those items and you'll be doing it 99% the correct way. Leave out Seafoam and you're at 100%.

Welcome to MVS, Mo.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

XC70Rider
Year and Model: 2007 XC70
United States of America
XC70Rider

Post by XC70Rider » Sat May 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Before even doing the flush I would take it to another shop and have them find the actual coolant leak.

With money not an issue and you're not a DIY then take the advice previously mentioned. After you get the leak fixed have a Volvo dealership or Indy shop do a complete flush to remove all the previously mixed coolants and have them add only Genuine Volvo Coolant.

jjc1987
Year and Model: 87 760T
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
jjc1987

Post by jjc1987 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:43 pm

I've owned many 700 and 850 series Volvos and have performed many minor and major engine/turbo/suspension/electrical repairs... I don't like to use chemical flushes on an older vehicle and don't recommend you do so; it could send rust and scale around and clog some of the coolant ports in the radiator, heater core and engine. I suggest you drain the antifreeze, pull the thermostat out (car off), disconnect the lower radiator hose and run clean water through the thermostat opening into the engine it until it clears. It will not completely come out clean but will get to a slight antifreeze-colored tint after a while. I think this is good enough. IMO, the dealers diagnosis of a leaking head gasket is probably correct if you're loosing coolant without seeing it leak. There's a clear difference of opinion on my following advice as some mechanics don't like this additive but I've had success with it in cases like yours. After the flush, put the thermostat back in,reconnect the lower hose, fill with a proper antifreeze and water mix (volvo brand coolant or IPD equivalent.. no cheap stuff). Before the radiator is completely full, crush three A/C Delco coolant seal tabs and put it in the radiator. Continue to fill coolant to proper level. Monitor the coolant level every day for a week or so... keep it up to the proper level. If the leak is very small, this should seal the leak and get you several more years out that head gasket. Do not run any chemical flush after doing this. The Delco coolant tabs were used by GM dealers for a number of cars that had head casting defects and minor coolant leaks. I've used this on a couple of my 7xx and 850T series Volvos as well as GM and Ford vehicles with success for minor leaks. If you want to further diagnose the leak, pull the spark plugs and you should find one or two adjacent plugs that are extra clean... evidence of the coolant running into that cylinder. For curiosity's sake, I'd do that if I were you before trying the above, so that you'll know where the problem's at! I tried to post the URL to a link to the Delco tabs ( Genuine GM (12378255) Fluid 3634621 Cooling System Seal Tablet - 4 Grams, (Pack of 5) ) but it doesn't display correctly. Search Amazon and you should find it.

pf_rd_r=05A5SD8SAW25JK83WVZE&psc=1&refRID=05A5SD8SAW25JK83WVZE

Available on Amazon for about six bucks.

Best wishes and good luck!

movan11
United States of America
movan11

Post by movan11 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Many thanks! I’ll report back on the results of my decision. I just might get 2-3 more years out of this car by doing nothing but changing the oil, topping off the coolant reservoir, etc. if I go with the plan you sketched, I’ll also let you know the results. I had an 850 Turbo (94) for 11 years and it made me a Volvo fan for life. Never had a car with a cracked head gasket so I’m in new territory.