IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Hot amrrest, transmission issue ?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Dynamic D
Year and Model: v70 2006
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
Dynamic D

Hot amrrest, transmission issue ?

Post by Dynamic D » Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Hello,

I have a Volvo 2006 with 200 000 km on it. Yesterday, I noticed that my arm rest (where I put the CD) was hot. I let the car cool down all night and today I looked if the transmission fluid was ok. The level is ok, and the color is kind of red/brownish. I took the car again and when I got home, again, the armrest was hot again. What could be the cause of that ? I thought about the transmission because that is what goes underneath the armrest, but it could be something else...

Thanks for your help

Dynamic D

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Hot amrrest, transmission issue ?

Post by oragex » Sat May 04, 2019 5:47 pm

The transmission doesn't go there, below that area is the catalytic converter. May put the car on a a lift (don't go underneath only with the spare jack), and look first if the car still has the aluminum heat shield at the top of the exhaust tunnel (above the exhaust pipe). If this heat shield appears to be in good condition, run the car at night and see if the catalytic converter glows red even only slightly. You can see in this video how these heat shields look like, those U shaped pieces of aluminum like sheets with a 'dot' pattern on them, mine were a little bent www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXHAH3vAVM

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

Dynamic D
Canada
Dynamic D

Post by Dynamic D » Sun May 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Ok thanks oragex.
So that seems to be good news. I will look tonight if the heat shield is there.. if it is not, is it something that could be dangerous for other parts of the car ? Because if it is just a bit of heat on the arm rest, I think I could live with that...

Dynamic D

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sun May 05, 2019 2:24 pm

I don't think that would be a problem, I think the fuel lines are not close, the handbrake lines are in the area, don't think it would be too hot to damage them. However a glowing catalytic converter usually means either running rich - you may get a check engine at some point , or worse, a clogged converter honeycomb. Not ideal for the engine condition, so it's something to look after. If a new converter is needed, genuine ones are not affordable, aftermarket ones come with the flexible downpipe and the quality varies

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Sun May 05, 2019 3:20 pm

SRS module is somewhere down there under the armrest. Any warning lights on the dash display?

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2001 V70 T5, 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

MDK
Year and Model: 1998 xc 70
United States of America
MDK

Post by MDK » Sun May 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Clogged cat? Well, the test is to remove the front/ upstream O2 sensor and screw in a pressure gauge.start the car and If it reads 5-6 psi your catalytic converter is clogged. Normal it will read between 1-2 psi. I have heard of a few hillbillies around here soaking there cats in laqeur thinner. Not for the average DIY person though I know. MDK

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sun May 05, 2019 6:02 pm

I'm really not sure about the following, but I've heard once that it may not be a good idea to drive through deep puddles of water - like when there is some flooding or alike. The catalytic converter works at very high temperatures, and the ceramic elements inside may not take well a sudden temperature change as the water cools down the unit. If the ceramic honeycomb inside cracks and breaks in small pieces, it can clog it. Again, not sure about this, but worth remembering.

Dynamic D
Canada
Dynamic D

Post by Dynamic D » Wed May 08, 2019 5:39 pm

Here is an update:
I've changed the cat 6 weeks ago or so.Therefore I doubt that it is a problem with the cat (Bosal), but who knows... I've verified and the heat shield is no longer there. I also have an engine code P1137.
I think I would start by trying to find a new heat shield and O2 sensor and in the meantime, I will try not to go for too long rides. What do you think ?

The O2 sensor is easy to find, but any ideas where to find the heat shield ? I even looked at the volvo web parts and I don't see it there.
Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Dynamic D

tardcart
Year and Model: 96 850t. 93 940t
United States of America
tardcart

Post by tardcart » Wed May 08, 2019 6:01 pm

as stated above, you have two problems, rich mix causing hot burn off in the cat and no shield. replace the ox sensors and maby skip the shield. Has you milage been lower?

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed May 08, 2019 7:41 pm

Heat shield is tricky, there get loose where it's attached to the chassis (aluminum foil just rips off). Junkyards usually remove the front pipe so not sure if they leave the front heat shield, but you may use a piece from the rear ones. Try perhaps at Kennyupull nearby. Is that a non turbo? I got a front O2 NGK (same as NTK) from Ebay, just careful not to trust ebay sellers with the compatibility (year/engine), rather use Fcpeuro to check the fitting. Eeuroparts.com can ship with UPS World Ease which has all import fees paid upfront