IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

ECM-912A CODE after new ETM install

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
jjnuttall
Year and Model: V70 T5 '99
Been thanked: 0
jjnuttall

ECM-912A CODE after new ETM install

Post by jjnuttall » Tue May 07, 2019 7:08 am

'99 V70 T5, 200k miles. Car is clean and pretty much corrosion free.

So I'm doing a XeMoDex ETM swap and running into difficulties. In addition to the new ETM I've installed a new Bosch MAF (German made) and Volvo ECM relay. The car won't run much longer than 10 minutes, then struggles to idle and dies. Hoping to get some good tips on how to best proceed.

First let me state I've read every post in "The ETM Room". I'm also working with XeMoDex tech support, they've been super great, very accommodating. After I performed all their required troubleshooting, they sent a DiCE unit to me and performed remote diagnostics finding this code. ECM-912A Communication with the Engine Control Module.

The feedback on the diagnostic session was that the ETM tested fine, the ECM-912A code persisted almost the entire time. There were a few instances where it cleared, so the thinking is that its not a permanent issue. An accelerator pedal code came up once then went away.

So their conclusion is that everything is pointing to the power supply to the ECM, but I posted here because this all started as an ETM issue, and there is communication between the modules.

So right now I've had the battery tested, and re-cleaned the terminals so that's good to go. I started checking all the ground connections I could find. I understand bad grounds can cause many electrical issues so I started there. I found the ground strap from the top of the head to the firewall was disconnected, so I cleaned that up and it's reconnected. I metered it for resistance, its good.

The ETM ground, on the block just above the starter motor, I had already cleaned up and re-fastened, I'd ohm'd it before thru the engine harness ETM connector.I also probed the ETM harness ground wire and tested resistance through the connection and it's good. There's a ground near the main fuse box bolted to the fender well that I've also cleaned and metered.

My goal is to systematically work through all the grounding points, then to work on the power side of the circuits. I'm having difficulty locating online wiring diagrams for the 1999 cars. The link from this MVS website is dead and volvowiringdiagrams.com doesn't have the needed diagrams.

So I'm asking for any tips, suggestions, pointers that would be helpful in running down this problem.

Thanks in advance

John
Raleigh, NC

other current Volvos:
'73 1800ES 98K miles
'89 245 M47 400+K miles

past Volvos:
'93 245 resurrected from dead to great DD
'89 244 as above
'98 V70 T5
'68 145

other current toys:
'99 BMW Z3 coupe
'74 BMW R75/6
'72 MGB Roadster another resurrection

xHeart
Year and Model: 1997 854 NA
United States of America
xHeart

Re: ECM-912A CODE after new ETM install

Post by xHeart » Tue May 07, 2019 8:11 am

Unless member percopster says otherwise, ECM-912A is a CAN bus code indicating ECM and ETM have missed communicating with each other.

Unless there is a CEL, I'd continue with normal drive cycle -- work the battery to full charge.

--
Golden Retriever | 2014D VIDA DiCE | 2013A XC90 +140mi/225km | 2001 V70XC 1st Owner +190mi/ +305km | 1997 Volvo 850 NA 1st Owner +180mi/ +289km
Past: German Shepherd | 1989 Volvo 740 GL | 1979 Volvo 240

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: ECM-912A CODE after new ETM install

Post by RickHaleParker » Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 pm

ECM-912A is a report from the ETM to the ECM that it is having trouble hearing the ECM.
It is like when you got a bad phone connection, "I'm having trouble understanding you, bad connection"

Possible source
The power supply to the engine control module (ECM) ( Noise, interrupts, low voltage .. ect)
Loose connections or contact resistance in the terminals for the CAN signal cables.
Open-circuit in one or both CAN signal cables.
Short-circuit to ground in one or both of the CAN signal cables.
Short-circuit to voltage in one or both of the CAN signal cables.
Short-circuit between the two CAN signal cables.
Interference on the CAN signal cables.
Defective node in the Control area network (CAN).

At the ETM, the White and Green twisted pair are the CAN signal cables.
(Twisted around each other like telephone wire)
These users thanked the author RickHaleParker for the post:
jjnuttall

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold