IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Software update $1,350 - what?!

How to buy, install and use VIDA, VADIS, DiCE, VMWare and all the questions and answers that come with these tools.
URDRWHO
Year and Model: Volvo V60 2016
United States of America
URDRWHO

Software update $1,350 - what?!

Post by URDRWHO » Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 am

I received an e-mail from my local dealer announcing a software update, they;ve named it the Polestar Optimization and it is available for most all vehicles.

They say it takes and hour and --- hold your hats -- it will cost ---

"Average Cost for the Polestar Optimization Software is only $1,350* (based on a new 2019 model)."

What the %#%#%#%! They disconnect the battery, attach a charger to the system and hook up other wires for the update. And then they sit there.

They expect me to pay $1,350 for the above? I don't think so and one more way to pick our pockets in the digital age.

"The Polestar optimization software is offered on every current Volvo model, in addition to many older Volvo models. Call the Service or Sales department to learn which model years and models qualify to receive this exciting upgrade! "

If I really wanted to get this update for my 2016 V60, I would probably pay for the VIDA/DICE software and do it myself. I can't believe a price of $1,350 for a software update that can be done by almost any school aged child.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: Software update $1,350 - what?!?!?!?!

Post by Rattnalle » Tue May 14, 2019 7:25 am

Even through they probably do have a huge profit margin I think you're slightly underestimating the difficulty level of developing a tuning package and then actually getting it approved officially with regards to emissions standards and insurance companies. A school aged child wouldn't have the patience ;-)

Polestar tuning packages have been around a good while over here and it's not too uncommon to find dealers offering deals on the tunes.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:41 am

You have been ripped off on purchases of many things. Jewelry is probably the largest one. If you buy a car and opt for the higher output/larger engine you have been ripped off. The actual cost of some optional engines is less than $20 but can cost $1400 or more. There may be a warranty risk that is greater so they put some money in a "kitty" for those expenses. If you go to get that performance improvement for a Porsche it will be over $2000. If you go aftermarket it will be $800. You can also see if they will negotiate on that price. I had polestar upload on my 2010 XC60 T6 R Design and I am happy with it and feel it was a good value.

xanthefin
Year and Model: 1997 850
Finland
xanthefin

Post by xanthefin » Tue May 14, 2019 2:24 pm

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4syeWeS5hMM

Car world prices.. licenses and yeah if they develop themselfs all stuff they can honestly ask what they want. The question is who is willing to pay is that what they aim for or limit they customers to rich ones just.

As Rattnalle told..
To hack or make good ECU calibration ('chip') can take much efforts and hours. I have busted open only 92-98 years ECUs and those are so last season what today car's contains inside.

Polestar i believe they get some inside info and tools from Volvo or ECU makers like BOSCH so they develop much easier those packages than aftermarket third parties but can most likely make them more fine tuned than others... others need do honest good disassembly of code first to get same level as ECU can contain a lot of variables and not just maps which everyone goes forward to look out first. So yeah in case of Polestar i think they don't need put so much effort in those than many other firms needs put to get same results so its more or less rip off from them and paying from brand. But in the end what they (or resellers) asks.. isn't their fault.

For that yours idea of getting VIDA/DICE is that you have honestly just open risk you corrupt your car memory so best to do always good backups (i mean GOOD as many fails even this one. People read memory with WRONG chip selected or bad contacts so they get like 1/4 of memory.. tries out with memory contents and overrides then original memory chip with their corrupted blob of data and car is dead and see on internet how they crying why nothing works). And plus the main thing is that you get somewhere that software to fit yours Volvo ECU correctly because i believe there is has been already example from 1999 S80 froward some ECU to CEM synchronisation problem so can't just put other ECU memory to other exact same looking ECU without fixing these little things.

But there is almost always some hero(s) working on cars.

To other point of view of this issue of cost of things.. in tech world example i have heard people paid in thousands just for IBM guy to come visit them to "upgrade" their server system and all what he did was turn some switch inside it. :mrgreen:

URDRWHO
United States of America
URDRWHO

Post by URDRWHO » Wed May 15, 2019 5:24 pm

I understand writing code is time intensive but not that intensive. My son does coding for a living and I can tell you it isn't that difficult.

I doubt if any of these have to be met in the USA for a software update. "insurance companies". I can tell you for a fact, with 34 years of experience in the industry, insurance companies don't give a darn about software updates to a car.

So my choice is to tell them to go away, I am happy with the way my car currently works.

The digital era has brought some wonderful things but it also has us by the short hairs. Microsoft had us for a long time but then came Linux. My son does a lot of work with Linux and has moved municipalities from MS seats.

A sampling of responses on other forums:

1. "Volvo has to recoup the money they spent buying out Polestar. When the $1350 becomes $135 let me know."
Well, you could drop off the car along with your debit card & PIN, then tell the dealer to do what ever they pleased.

2. "BTW, the battery does not have to be disconnected, nor a charger used. The update changes the ECU and TCU for more boost and faster shift points. Understated "wow"..."

3. "This is a trend with corporations, and in the medical profession called a Cashechtomy. You should email the dealer for a $1300 discount code, or just vote them #1 with the usual digital signal and forget it."

In my area of 20 houses, there are 6 Volvo's and not one of the owners ever, ever takes their car to a dealer. From experience I have found that the local Volvo dealer is more expensive than the Jaguar dealer (previous XJ6 and SIII owner).

I choose #3 and give them the vote. :)
Rattnalle wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:25 am
Even through they probably do have a huge profit margin I think you're slightly underestimating the difficulty level of developing a tuning package and then actually getting it approved officially with regards to emissions standards and insurance companies. A school aged child wouldn't have the patience ;-)

Polestar tuning packages have been around a good while over here and it's not too uncommon to find dealers offering deals on the tunes.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: Software update $1,350 - what?!

Post by Rattnalle » Wed May 15, 2019 11:35 pm

In Europe att least insurance companies may consider the car not covered if you've tuned it using a non regulatory approved tuning kit. Also the car is technically illegal to drive at all though chances of anyone checking are low. Polestar is approved as original equipment and that and testing to make sure they're still good for warranty is the cost to Volvo not the software development. If that's not of value then any $350 off the shelf software from a third party company will do mostly the same thing. Consumer's choice.

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Thu May 16, 2019 12:42 am

When you buy the latest stuff you're not paying the value of the stuff. You're paying for the privilege of saying your stuff is better the the other guy's stuff. Perhaps that is what you missed.
These users thanked the author RickHaleParker for the post:
URDRWHO

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

URDRWHO
United States of America
URDRWHO

Post by URDRWHO » Thu May 16, 2019 5:08 am

Ha ha! I did miss that part!

I guess I'm just not the kind of guy who cares if I could say my "stuff" is better than another person's "stuff". Although I have known people who always have to have the NEW stuff and they have no problem telling you they bought the newest stuff. :)
RickHaleParker wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:42 am
When you buy the latest stuff you're not paying the value of the stuff. You're paying for the privilege of saying your stuff is better the the other guy's stuff. Perhaps that is what you missed.

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Post by RickHaleParker » Thu May 16, 2019 5:38 am

URDRWHO wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:08 am
I guess I'm just not the kind of guy who cares if I could say my "stuff" is better than another person's "stuff".
Your psychology normal. You don't feel you need to compensate for a perceived deficiency. Don't let anybody convince you otherwise.

While you at it don't let Listerine convince you, nobody likes you because your breath stinks and you need to wash your mouth out with floor antiseptic. It is true, Listerine was originally marketed as a floor cleaner and as a treatment for Gonorrhea.

Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.

Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.

Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0,
Plant Torslanda Sweden.
----------------------------------------------------------------
1997 S90, B6304S, AW30-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4 - Sold

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Thu May 16, 2019 6:30 am

The Polstar tune is available as a option on the build sheet. So the 1,300 price tag is likely the price when ordered on a new Volvo. It would not make sense to sell the same upgrade for a cheaper price than the factory option would it? June

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned