IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

small evap leak

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Randall0208
Year and Model: 2000 volvo s70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Randall0208

small evap leak

Post by Randall0208 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Hey there, I got a check engine light code p0456 for a small evap leak. I read about it and some common things were the fuel cap and the canister purge valve. I bought a new canister purge valve and the problem persisted so I bought a new seal for my gas cap, not a new cap just a new seal. The new seal went on fine and was the exact same thing as what I took off so I don't think that's an issue... After replacing those 2 things I cleared the code and it took a couple days before it came back. I'm already out $50, does anyone know what may be causing the problem and where I should go from here? Thanks.

DeadEric
Year and Model: 1996 850 Turbo
United States of America
DeadEric

Re: small evap leak

Post by DeadEric » Thu May 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Find a shop that will do a smoke test on the evap system. Shouldn't be more that $70 to $100. Sounds like a lot but it's better than guessing at replacing the rest of the parts.