IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

1999 S70 Head swap

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

farzadm
Year and Model: 1999 s70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
farzadm

1999 S70 Head swap

Post by farzadm » Fri May 17, 2019 5:54 am

First post here as I need some help and direction.

1999 S70
B5452S engine, distributorless (ignition coil)

Timing belt slipped and bent valves so needed to swap the head, looked online and found a supplier. Provided my details 99 S70, B5452s and purchased the head.
After installing the head I realized the camshafts from my original head did not sit. Concerned I double checked ( hind sight should have done this prior to installing the head) the head and it did not match my original head at the top end, needed new cams, engine mounts even the intake holes were squarish and cam cover.
I was ready to remove the head, but the supplier said it’s ok and will work with compatible cams and sent me the cams, I got the camcover and different engine mount (metal bracket).

The cams I received came with 2 end caps one a half circle and another a metal disc ( I now know that these are for a distributor system, the disc for the distributor and the half round on the exhaust for the cam sensor)

I installed cams and timing, cover mounts etc and now am stuck with the can sensor piece. The head supplier told me to install the half round piece on the intake cam, and source a sensor similar to what I originally had (cast housing) but with a plastic housing and the sensor with a connector, and to cut the old Sensor wire and attach them to the plastic sensor connector and install that sensor.

I did that but I have a no start condition, grounds are solid, ocassionly I will get a backfire.

I like to understand what is wrong ? I suspect the cam sensor is not correct for this set up. Because the half round metal ring does not come close to the pick up on the sensor also, I can not put the original end cap as that needs another slot on the cam to sit right.

Question is the camshaft sensor right ? What else should I be checking ? Do I need to change the camshafts ? Have I got the timing wrong (cam back has the slots aligned, but the crank mark is ahead 4 teeth below)

farzadm
Year and Model: 1999 s70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
farzadm

Re: 1999 S70 Head swap

Post by farzadm » Fri May 17, 2019 6:03 am

farzadm wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:54 am
First post here as I need some help and direction.

1999 S70
B5452S engine, distributorless (ignition coil)

Timing belt slipped and bent valves so needed to swap the head, looked online and found a supplier. Provided my details 99 S70, B5452s and purchased the head.
After installing the head I realized the camshafts from my original head did not sit. Concerned I double checked ( hind sight should have done this prior to installing the head) the head and it did not match my original head at the top end, needed new cams, engine mounts even the intake holes were squarish and cam cover.
I was ready to remove the head, but the supplier said it’s ok and will work with compatible cams and sent me the cams, I got the camcover and different engine mount (metal bracket).

The cams I received came with 2 end caps one a half circle and another a metal disc ( I now know that these are for a distributor system, the disc for the distributor and the half round on the exhaust for the cam sensor)

I installed cams and timing, cover mounts etc and now am stuck with the can sensor piece. The head supplier told me to install the half round piece on the intake cam, and source a sensor similar to what I originally had (cast housing) but with a plastic housing and the sensor with a connector, and to cut the old Sensor wire and attach them to the plastic sensor connector and install that sensor.

I did that but I have a no start condition, grounds are solid, ocassionly I will get a backfire.

I like to understand what is wrong ? I suspect the cam sensor is not correct for this set up. Because the half round metal ring does not come close to the pick up on the sensor also, I can not put the original end cap as that needs another slot on the cam to sit right.

Question is the camshaft sensor right ? What else should I be checking ? Do I need to change the camshafts ? Have I got the timing wrong (cam back has the slots aligned, but the crank mark is ahead 4 teeth below)