IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

AC problem

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Peljoppi
Year and Model: 2005
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Finland
Peljoppi

AC problem

Post by Peljoppi » Sat May 18, 2019 6:56 am

Hi guys I have xc90 m/y 2005 2.5T. AC seems to be ok, but no cooling in cabin. Yes, it 's recharged and compressor is engaging. Vida show no fault codes and low pressure is 92 high pressure is 520 psi? which should be on scale. Garage Guy sais that recharging system discovered no leaks, but added 500 gr new stuff. I have no idea when it was previously recharged because I bought the car in last winter. What NeXT? Bad compressor or maybe expandion valve ? Any new tests ? BR Jussi

Peljoppi
Finland
Peljoppi

Re: AC problem

Post by Peljoppi » Sat May 18, 2019 8:25 am

Forgot to mention that both AC pipes in engine bay are warm so ......

Jussi

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2003 XC90 T6
United States of America
wanderdüne

Post by wanderdüne » Sat May 18, 2019 10:27 am

As far as I know, the pressures (92psi/520psi) you give are roughly double what the system is supposed to run. The capacity for refrigerant is 2.2lbs (1000g) and it uses PAG oil, or 2.9lbs (1315g) if you have rear a/c option, which you likely do not. It seems like the garage guy added a lot of refrigerant (500g is half the system total capacity). I believe that when the system is serviced, the refrigerant is vacuumed out, measured, and then the correct measured amount is added back. Is this procedure what the garage guy did?

Here is my thread from the last year: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forum ... 0&start=10
My issue was not the same as yours, and some of my diagnostics are inaccurate or irrelevant, but a couple of the replies may be helpful, especially #6 (jimmy57), and posts #11,#15,#16 (June).

Easy to start with cleaning the condenser, check out this video to help with that and some good info here too:

I don't know why your system pressure is so high, and am surprised it has not blown a seal or hose yet. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the compressor should not run at these pressures? Can you hear the compressor clicking on and off?

Peljoppi
Finland
Peljoppi

Post by Peljoppi » Sat May 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Thanks for help. I got pressure reading with Vida. I have no other measure equipment. And yes, I have rear AC. Compressor is clicking and I see the center part of compressor running when activating is on. IF off then it's not rotating. Maybe I'll take my car to local Volvo dealer and ask them to find out which part is faulty. BR Jussi

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2003 XC90 T6
United States of America
wanderdüne

Post by wanderdüne » Sat May 18, 2019 8:09 pm

It's probably a good idea to take it in to the dealer for a diagnostic on this. Where I live in the US, there are a lot of shops with good computerized equipment to do diagnosis on the A/C due to the hot climate where I live. I imagine that the options are much less in Finland. I hope that is successful for you.