IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Starting XC60 after airbag deployment

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 2015+ XC60 2010-2018.
lemmy999
Year and Model: 2016 XC60 T5
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
lemmy999

Starting XC60 after airbag deployment

Post by lemmy999 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:05 pm

We had a collision in our 2016 XC60 the other day. It was stop and go on the interstate and a guy swerved over in front of me then the person directly in front of him had to slam on their brakes so I ended up hitting the guy in the rear. The damage was all around the right front headlight and really isn't that much damage. The bumper is cracked, the headlight is cracked, and the hood is crinkled a bit. However the driver air bag deployed (nobody was in the passenger seat) and the Volvo equivalent of On Star came on and called the police to the scene. I couldn't start the car to get it off of the interstate. The Volvo emergency agent said that it wouldn't start after an accident. However after looking at the owner's manual it looks like if you remove the key, open the door, then try to start it, then it should start. The only thing I remember seeing in the instrument cluster was the check engine light, but lots of stuff was going on and I may have missed other messages. The problem is that the car is now 1.5 hours away from home and I wonder if I will be able to start it if I go try to pick it up. I don't want to go all the way over there and not be able to start it. Has anyone else had experience with this? I plan to take my fairly high end code reader that can hopefully reset any codes if that is keeping it from starting.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: Starting XC60 after airbag deployment

Post by jimmy57 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:53 pm

The crash sensor usually gets in crash mode and may not reset when it goes to sleep (key turned off, doors left closed for 20 or so minutes). A battery reset might do it but VIDA is the sure way. In other words it is iffy that it will go when you get there.

lemmy999
Year and Model: 2016 XC60 T5
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
lemmy999

Post by lemmy999 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:35 pm

What do you mean by a "battery reset"? Is that just removing the battery and then connecting it again after a few minutes?

The 2016 owners manual says:

"Crash mode is a feature that is triggered if one or more of the safety systems (e.g. front or side airbags, an inflatable curtain, or one or more of the seat belt pretensioners) has deployed."

"If Crash mode has been set Crash mode and damage to the vehicle is minor and there is no fuel leakage, you may attempt to start the engine. To do so: Remove the remote key from the ignition slot and open the driver's door. If a message is displayed that the ignition is on, press the start button. Close the driver's door and reinsert the remote key in the ignition slot. Try to star the vehicle"

So this makes it seem like it could be started, but like you said, I think it is iffy.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:53 am

Battery reset would disconnecting the ground lead and touching it to the pos post of battery (but not on a hybrid without first doing some other checks) to drain the capacitors so the control modules do go to complete inactivity. If the crash sensor module is still supplied some current by the capacitors on board to assure voltage stability during cranking, cooling fan shutoff, etc., then you may not get a reset.
The crash sensor module memory can be at capacity based on unpredictable events of the collision and prior faults in system and may not reset as designed and introduces that uncertainty of resetting without VIDA. Sometimes the crash sensor module can't be reset.
You will have at the least the driver's airbag, contact reel, driver's seatbelt, and steering column to replace. Volvo recommends steering wheel replacement due to stresses on wheel from collision. Collisions often damage the impact sensors on front structure (below head lights on that vehicle). I am painting a bad picture here but I'm just listing the possibilities.
The steering column has the pyrotechnic charge that can determine the role of steering column in collision. If you are not belted the steering column will be in higher force mode by not deploying the anchor pin and allowing the airbag to have a "stiffer" foundation to catch you but then the anchor pin is deployed so no pyrotechnic device is left live on discarded part. If you are belted and airbag deployed then the anchor pin is deployed in milliseconds so the steering column is easier to deform and does not interrupt the seatbelt yield that slows your body's forward motion.
If you look around on youtube you will find a lot of insurance auction buys being rebuilt and the vehicle looks like it has little damage. The safety stuff totals vehicles that have lesser hidden damage and no serious displacement and can be driveable. The guys fixing these cars have some of the restraint/safety pieces "rebuilt". I have no idea if the rebuilt items perform as intended. Car manufacturer will err on the side of safety (and maybe more parts or new car sales) when they believe a component can't be assured of being reuseable once it is in a collision.
If you were belted and the airbag deployed then the car was in a crash of at least the second range of crash energy. The rear belts should also all three be deployed.
These users thanked the author jimmy57 for the post:
lemmy999