IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2001 volvo v70 XC Turbo Spacer TPS/THrottle body [install orientation important] Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

CanadianSteel
Year and Model: 2001 V70XC
Has thanked: 0
Canada
CanadianSteel

2001 volvo v70 XC Turbo Spacer TPS/THrottle body [install orientation important]

Post by CanadianSteel » Mon May 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Hey Everyone,

Fairly new to the forum but I have an issue that has me at my wits end.

I had the dreaded throttle position sensor code with a rough idle, hunting accelerator and so on.

Did a ton of research found out about the spacer contactless TPS ordered it in and went about installing it. It all seemed straight forward with a ton of information everywhere.

All that being said I am about to put it back in the car for the 5th time...

Here is where I sit. The last 4 times I have gotten no signal from ETM installed runs like absolute garbage on start up revs to 2000 rpm than drops down to around 500-750 rpm and bounces back and forth sounding like its going to die. Pressing accelerator has delayed reaction and if let idle for 2-5 minutes car will eventually die.

I have looked and looked and this is what I have done on this last chance on my build. Read that a guy had similar issue and his issue was that his shaft wasn't cut down enough and was touching sensor. I pulled apart cut down to right about the threads now the nut is slightly taller than the shaft so should be no issue.

Re soldered all 4 solder points required. Tested with voltmeter for resistance all connections coming back good.

Cleaned out throttle body with carb cleaner thoroughly.

Ran test on Vida Dice 2014D for the sensors. They have a difference of 0.15 which is well within allowable tolerances.

Key on voltage test of the nodes came back with 0V, 5V, 1.5V on the contactless and 1.5V on the wire solder on the other side.

I used to get a code on the "delivered" section of vida as soon as the key was on with no signal to throttle body and faulty signal from accelerator pedal and returned right after clearing.

Now after doing all the test nothing appears in "delivered" but i noticed that in "initial state" there is 2 codes:

ECM-902A Throttle unit communication. Signal too low
RCM-917F Accelerator pedal position - Faulty signal

Now I have no idea if those codes in initial are there from before and just need me to run it and run through a run cycle or what. But they have me worried.

I am waiting for the sealant to set on the cover before I install again in about an hour.

Any suggestions or ideas or am I on the right path slapping it back together?

CanadianSteel
Canada
CanadianSteel

Re: 2001 volvo v70 XC Turbo Spacer TPS/THrottle body

Post by CanadianSteel » Mon May 20, 2019 3:19 pm

Well put her all back together and still runs like a bag of garbage....

Has awesome throttle response except for sometimes when light throttle induces lots of a throttle.

Still have both codes in the "initial state" section but now after letting run with some encouragement from the gas pedal i now have codes for random multiple misfires and misfire in cylinder 1,2,5.

Ya I'm at a loss... any help would be greatly appreciated.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: 2001 volvo v70 XC Turbo Spacer TPS/THrottle body

Post by abscate » Mon May 20, 2019 7:03 pm

Check all the induction tubes for leaks and splits

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary

CanadianSteel
Canada
CanadianSteel

Re: 2001 volvo v70 XC Turbo Spacer TPS/THrottle body  Topic is solved

Post by CanadianSteel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:58 am

Well I figured I will let everyone know what happened so that if anyone comes onto the forum they may get an idea.

So I ended up sending my personally rebuilt throttle body in XemodeX and they sent me a fully rebuilt Throttle body (FYI do this and dont buy the Sacer. Less headache and the whole thing is upgraded for a small increase in price)

Xemodex let me know that I had correctly rebuilt it so it was not me playing with that. However, when you buy from them they send you a PDF containing a ton of troubleshooting. Low and behold the throttle body can go on 2 ways. So when you are installing it make sure the flat side with the sticker on it goes towards to front of the car! Ya that simple, I had to flip it 180 and she ran like a top. I had watched videos, I looked through the forums. I read instructions. And because I didn't pay 100% attention to the uninstall I didn't think of it. Not only that but the electrical connector looks like it goes the other way.

So there you go. Some food for thought.
These users thanked the author CanadianSteel for the post:
abscate

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: 2001 volvo v70 XC Turbo Spacer TPS/THrottle body [install orientation important]

Post by abscate » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:40 am

Thanks for follow up, added note to title!

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW
Link to Maintenance record thread
Link To Volvo Glossary