IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Help choosing a project (within these^ models)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

CIK7
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am
Year and Model: 01 V70 Base
Location: Oklahoma
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
CIK7

Help choosing a project (within these^ models)

Post by CIK7 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:48 pm

So I would like to get suggestions and advice on my next wagon project. My 98 v70 xc project went out the window because the state refused to work with me on the title stuff. So I read a lot on the 740, 760, 780, 940, 960, s/v90 (960 renamed) models. I already know a lot about the 850 series; good cars they are. I'm interested in any of these models available in a turbo wagon (excluding the V6) model years 1987-1990 and 1996-1998 for the 960/V90 Although this forum is not about the 850, it is also a car I'm strongly considering (the 1995-97 turbo or 1997+ AWD). Based ONLY on owner and mechanic experience, please share with me you thoughts, feelings, and experinces on the good, bad, and ugly of these 7 (including the 850) models. This would include engine and transmission failures (it's a Volvo, how can there be?) and successes, aftermarket upgradeability (excluding engine swaps), ease of repairs/parts replacement, and how computerized (a lot of electronics or not) they are.

My project would include replacing parts to make into a rally and offroad-capable vehicle, stripping down old carpet and paint to freshen it up, and make custom wooden structures such as middle console, mini ground-bound trunk cabinets, rear independent user space. When I'm done with it, it will be a feature rich, high-performing, offroading, super-storage, hauling-monster vehicle. And since I run a new taxi/rideshare business, it will also serve to be a handsome cloud ride for my passengers.



User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 2948
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 76 times
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Re: Help choosing a project (within these^ models)

Post by bmdubya1198 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:25 pm

If you're looking for something easy to modify/upgrade, you really can't go wrong with a good old red block! I'm a big fan of the 740/760, I had an '88 and I really regret selling it. I wish I still had it to tinker with... I have an S90, but it's just not the same. I still plan on doing some work on the S90, but I will be looking for another 740 when a driveway space clears up.

I know someone local to me who built a 740 wagon for offroading, and it's pretty badass. It's very easy to lift and put some big tires on them, and they're surprisingly capable.

As for the transmissions, they're all pretty good overall. I'm partial to the manuals (M46 and M47, only available on the 740/760 models) but the automatics are known to be stronger and more reliable. Most are Aisin units, while some 740s got ZF transmissions. I believe the AWs are a bit better than the ZF, but don't quote me on that.


1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 188k
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 155k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 collection of parts... crushed... still have parts, PM if interested!
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Still kicking myself for getting rid of this one

CIK7
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am
Year and Model: 01 V70 Base
Location: Oklahoma
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
CIK7

Re: Help choosing a project (within these^ models)

Post by CIK7 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:35 pm

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:25 pm
If you're looking for something easy to modify/upgrade, you really can't go wrong with a good old red block! I'm a big fan of the 740/760, I had an '88 and I really regret selling it. I wish I still had it to tinker with... I have an S90, but it's just not the same.
I've heard that with the redblocks, the transmissions and clutch area are able to be unbolted and replaced with other transmissions and the clutch be put in with no mod necessary. Is this true? And when you say S90, I assume you mean the late '90s model? The S90 was revived in 2018.



CIK7
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am
Year and Model: 01 V70 Base
Location: Oklahoma
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
CIK7

Re: Help choosing a project (within these^ models)

Post by CIK7 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:37 pm

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:25 pm
I have an S90
Can you post a pic of the 740 you use to have and the S90 you have now?



User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 2948
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 76 times
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Re: Help choosing a project (within these^ models)

Post by bmdubya1198 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Yeah, I have a '98 S90. Picked it up back in March for $100. It needs a transmission, but it's still kind of drivable. I'm thinking about swapping in a T6 engine from an S80/XC90. And replacing the trans of course!

If you mean doing a manual swap, it's very easy on those cars. Otherwise, all of the transmission are interchangeable, the red block bell housing is the same on all of those engines.
Attachments
IMG_2131.JPG
IMG_6404.jpg


1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 188k
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 155k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 collection of parts... crushed... still have parts, PM if interested!
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Still kicking myself for getting rid of this one

CIK7
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am
Year and Model: 01 V70 Base
Location: Oklahoma
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
CIK7

Re: Help choosing a project (within these^ models)

Post by CIK7 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:19 pm

bmdubya1198 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:47 pm
Yeah, I have a '98 S90. Picked it up back in March for $100. I'm thinking about swapping in a T6 engine from an S80/XC90.
That is a great price! Beware of the T6. I was informed by an experienced Volvo mechanic in OKC that the S80 T6 is one to stay away from because of plenty of issues the engine has. I assume it's the twin turbo because obviously you are dealing with 2 turbos, not 1. That pressure on the engine does cause wear faster and more problems. Keep in mind, Ford was the co that owned Volvo at that time. Ford has made a good few mistakes pertaining to turbocharged engines, also did not do such a hot job on their own cars at that time either. Fun fact: Did you know Ford used a Volvo 2.5T engine in their Australian Focus model?



User avatar
bmdubya1198
Posts: 2948
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am
Year and Model: '98 V70 GLT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 76 times
United States of America
bmdubya1198

Re: Help choosing a project (within these^ models)

Post by bmdubya1198 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:52 am

CIK7 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:19 pm
That is a great price! Beware of the T6. I was informed by an experienced Volvo mechanic in OKC that the S80 T6 is one to stay away from because of plenty of issues the engine has. I assume it's the twin turbo because obviously you are dealing with 2 turbos, not 1. That pressure on the engine does cause wear faster and more problems. Keep in mind, Ford was the co that owned Volvo at that time. Ford has made a good few mistakes pertaining to turbocharged engines, also did not do such a hot job on their own cars at that time either. Fun fact: Did you know Ford used a Volvo 2.5T engine in their Australian Focus model?
Yup, the European/Australian market Focus ST, RS, and RS500 used a highly modified version of the RNC 2.5T from the P1 cars. It made a lot of power and a sweet sound!

The main issue with the T6 cars was the transmission, which was a GM 4 speed. I won't be using that since it's a FWD/AWD transmission, I'll likely find another AW30 for my S90. Ideally I'll manual swap it with a Ford T5, but that depends on if I can find the other swap parts easily and cheaply. Overall the engines are pretty solid, but I'm sure the twin turbo setup would require a little more maintenance.


1998 V70 GLT Black/Beige 193k
2000 V70R Venetian Red/Charcoal M56 Swapped 188k
2001 S60 2.4T Black/Black 230k
2007 XC90 V8 AWD Sport Titanium Grey/Black 155k
1998 S90- Silver/Gray 207k
1995 850 collection of parts... crushed... still have parts, PM if interested!
1988 744 Turbo M46 Beige Metallic/Beige 188k- Still kicking myself for getting rid of this one

lummert
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:39 pm
Year and Model: 760 1988
Location: Portland Indiana, USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 11 times
United States of America
lummert

Re: Help choosing a project (within these^ models)

Post by lummert » Wed May 29, 2019 9:49 am

The 1988-1990 760 Turbo Wagon has been a good car for me. Nearly 14 years with my 1988 760 Turbo Wagon and only one major issue that turned out to be the ignition power stage. At this stage in my car's life i'm just trying to keep it going as long as possible.


1988 Volvo 760 Turbo Wagon

lummert
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:39 pm
Year and Model: 760 1988
Location: Portland Indiana, USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 11 times
United States of America
lummert

Re: Help choosing a project (within these^ models)

Post by lummert » Wed May 29, 2019 9:55 am

CIK7 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:19 pm
bmdubya1198 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:47 pm
Yeah, I have a '98 S90. Picked it up back in March for $100. I'm thinking about swapping in a T6 engine from an S80/XC90.
That is a great price! Beware of the T6. I was informed by an experienced Volvo mechanic in OKC that the S80 T6 is one to stay away from because of plenty of issues the engine has. I assume it's the twin turbo because obviously you are dealing with 2 turbos, not 1. That pressure on the engine does cause wear faster and more problems. Keep in mind, Ford was the co that owned Volvo at that time. Ford has made a good few mistakes pertaining to turbocharged engines, also did not do such a hot job on their own cars at that time either. Fun fact: Did you know Ford used a Volvo 2.5T engine in their Australian Focus model?
The S80 design had already been done by the time Ford took over.


1988 Volvo 760 Turbo Wagon

CIK7
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:15 am
Year and Model: 01 V70 Base
Location: Oklahoma
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
CIK7

Re: Help choosing a project (within these^ models)

Post by CIK7 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:39 pm

lummert wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:55 am
CIK7 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:19 pm
bmdubya1198 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:47 pm
Yeah, I have a '98 S90. Picked it up back in March for $100. I'm thinking about swapping in a T6 engine from an S80/XC90.
That is a great price! Beware of the T6. I was informed by an experienced Volvo mechanic in OKC that the S80 T6 is one to stay away from because of plenty of issues the engine has. I assume it's the twin turbo because obviously you are dealing with 2 turbos, not 1. That pressure on the engine does cause wear faster and more problems. Keep in mind, Ford was the co that owned Volvo at that time. Ford has made a good few mistakes pertaining to turbocharged engines, also did not do such a hot job on their own cars at that time either. Fun fact: Did you know Ford used a Volvo 2.5T engine in their Australian Focus model?
The S80 design had already been done by the time Ford took over.
Yes that is true. It was released in 1999, the first year Ford had ownership.



Post Reply