IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo XC 90, 2008, 3.2, Problem with A/C turning on

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Lubkov
Year and Model: 2008 xc90 3.2
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Lubkov

Volvo XC 90, 2008, 3.2, Problem with A/C turning on

Post by Lubkov » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:17 pm

Hello all,
I am experiencing trouble with the car's ac. The problem is that car does not want to blow cold air when I turning A/C on. My first thought was that it is low on freon, but the problem persisted when it was recharged. By mechanic's recommendation I changed my compressor in the car, but it still did not help. Now after changed compressor it starts to blow cold air after 30 minutes from the moment when I start the car.
Then I read with Vida any errors that my car might have. The car had few code errors, but they did not have any connection to A/C control module (Errors: failed 3rd seat memory and steering angle sensor). After, I looked at pressure and temperature readings from an evaporator and cabin. I will attach three photos from my computer with:
1) does not blow cold air,
1.jpg
2) after 10 min turned off and on but still does not blow cold air,
2.jpg
3) after 20 min turned off and on and it started to work.
3.jpg
I don't know what to look next to fix AC.

In advance thank you for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: Volvo XC 90, 2008, 3.2, Problem with A/C turning on

Post by jimmy57 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:02 am

new compressor or used compressor?
The most common reason for your symptoms on that engine is the solenoid stuck into compressor is worn and binding. Once the compressor gets hot the expansion releases the bind of the solenoid and it works until car is parked and cools down. The solenoid is available separately and the refrigerant has to be evacuated in order to replace the solenoid. The solenoid controls compressor piston stroke. If the solenoid is the problem the high and low side pressures will be almost the same when the problem is happening. The high side might be 120 and the the low side 95-100.
These users thanked the author jimmy57 for the post:
Lubkov

Lubkov
Year and Model: 2008 xc90 3.2
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Lubkov

Re: Volvo XC 90, 2008, 3.2, Problem with A/C turning on

Post by Lubkov » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:47 am

I've got Sanden rebuild compressor.
Initially I planed to get Valeo compressor that my car had. Salesman recommended me a Sanden compressor because his customers had no problem with it compared to problematic valeo compressor.
Also the mechanic said told me that in order to make normal pressure in the system, he had to charge less refrigerant than it was recommend by volvo. I think also this could be the answer but while looking at VIDA the pressure is somewhere between 247 and 260