IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

98 v70 t5 320,000 never had pcv/ptc maintenance

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Mark1967
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 4:27 pm
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5
Location: Me
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Mark1967

98 v70 t5 320,000 never had pcv/ptc maintenance

Post by Mark1967 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:45 pm

Car was given to me 10 years ago. Runs excellent. Am looking to do pcv/ptc replacement and noticed all original hoses, clamps, etc. Is this possible with 320,000?



User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 17639
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 601 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: 98 v70 t5 320,000 never had pcv/ptc maintenance

Post by abscate » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:01 pm

It is if the oil changes were religiously done every 5000 miles. I had mine at 160k and it was less than 10% blocked.


Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

Mark1967
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 4:27 pm
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5
Location: Me
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Mark1967

Re: 98 v70 t5 320,000 never had pcv/ptc maintenance

Post by Mark1967 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Ok. I was just surprised that everthing is original. Never pulled codes and engine light has been on for years. Never needs oil. Drives amazing. Engine has oil on it from oil fill cap which led me to pcv system



User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 17639
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 601 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: 98 v70 t5 320,000 never had pcv/ptc maintenance

Post by abscate » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:07 am

Do the “glove test” and if you don’t have crank pressure it’s not needed.

The engine oil on top will come from your bad oil cap gasket. Cheap fix, but go OEM

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... gLQe_D_BwE


Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 1409
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 100 times
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: 98 v70 t5 320,000 never had pcv/ptc maintenance

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:24 am

abscate wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:07 am
Do the “glove test” and if you don’t have crank pressure it’s not needed.

The engine oil on top will come from your bad oil cap gasket. Cheap fix, but go OEM

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... gLQe_D_BwE
FCP must have a stock of them because Volvo in Sweden doesn't sell the gasket anymore. You have to buy the entire cap. Or buy the gasket elsewhere..



850 LPT
Posts: 1104
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:05 am
Year and Model: 96' 850
Location: CT
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 30 times
United States of America
850 LPT

Re: 98 v70 t5 320,000 never had pcv/ptc maintenance

Post by 850 LPT » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:48 am

Rattnalle wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:24 am
abscate wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:07 am
Do the “glove test” and if you don’t have crank pressure it’s not needed.

The engine oil on top will come from your bad oil cap gasket. Cheap fix, but go OEM

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... gLQe_D_BwE
FCP must have a stock of them because Volvo in Sweden doesn't sell the gasket anymore. You have to buy the entire cap. Or buy the gasket elsewhere..
FCP stock is quickly depleting, I just bought 10 of them the other day :D


96' 850 sedan, base, auto, pewter/charcoal, 106k miles
99' S70, base, 5-speed manual, nautic blue/ tan, 209k miles
04' V70, auto, ash gold/ tan, 222k miles
05' V70, 5-speed manual, loaded, mistral green/ tan, 142k miles
79' Ford Capri S, Euro Spec 2.8 V6, T9 5-speed manual
58' Porsche Diesel Junior
13' Honda Odyssey :oops:

User avatar
Rattnalle
Posts: 1409
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:10 am
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 100 times
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: 98 v70 t5 320,000 never had pcv/ptc maintenance

Post by Rattnalle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:58 am

850 LPT wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:48 am
Rattnalle wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:24 am
abscate wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:07 am
Do the “glove test” and if you don’t have crank pressure it’s not needed.

The engine oil on top will come from your bad oil cap gasket. Cheap fix, but go OEM

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... gLQe_D_BwE
FCP must have a stock of them because Volvo in Sweden doesn't sell the gasket anymore. You have to buy the entire cap. Or buy the gasket elsewhere..
FCP stock is quickly depleting, I just bought 10 of them the other day :D
I'm pretty sure they'll find a new source for something as generic as a flat rubber gasket if needed :-)



tryingbe
Posts: 1889
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:43 pm
Year and Model: None
Location: Mesa, AZ, USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 22 times
United States of America
tryingbe

Re: 98 v70 t5 320,000 never had pcv/ptc maintenance

Post by tryingbe » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Image


85 GLH, 367 whp
00 Insight, 72 mpg

User avatar
abscate
MVS Moderator
Posts: 17639
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Location: NYC, ALBANY NY
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 601 times
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: 98 v70 t5 320,000 never had pcv/ptc maintenance

Post by abscate » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:12 pm

Blech,...

Go check your turbo oil return line gasket....


Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

Mark1967
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 4:27 pm
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5
Location: Me
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Mark1967

Re: 98 v70 t5 320,000 never had pcv/ptc maintenance

Post by Mark1967 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:25 pm

Where exactly is the turbo oil return line gasket located? Thanks



Post Reply