IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

s40 skipped timing belt

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
05s40
Year and Model: 2005 s40
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
05s40

s40 skipped timing belt

Post by 05s40 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Hello.

My first post here on MVS, thank you all in advance.

I have a 2005 s40 which stopped running when the serpentine belt shredded and wrapped around the crank and caused the timing belt to skip, according to a Volvo shop I bring it to.

Because of it's age and mileage (155k) they said not worth fixing, they wanted 3k+ to fix.

I had the car towed home and decided to make a summer project out of this, I truly love this car and so does my daughter who drives it. I bought it from a dealer four years ago and the car has run great all this time. The timing belt was changed by the dealer at 106k.

I have the cam cover off and it seems all the valves are at the same height.

My question is:

Is it possible that the motor got out-of-time enough so that it would not run but no damage occurred?

I don't want to pull the head if I don't need to, I have a cam lock tool on the way and I'm thinking of timing the motor, putting the TB back on, see if I it turn by hand a couple revs with no interference and if so start her up?

Thanks again.,

05s40

tardcart
Year and Model: 96 850t. 93 940t
United States of America
tardcart

Re: s40 skipped timing belt

Post by tardcart » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:22 pm

I can't see how the serpentine belt could influence timing. they are no where near each other and no amount of force could slow the crank to the point the cams would over run the timing belt. Its simply impossible unless the lower cover were destroyed and the serpentine got inside the timing area. If thats NOT the case, put a new serpentine belt on, charge the battery and drive away.

05s40
United States of America
05s40

Post by 05s40 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:39 pm

Yes, It is true, the serpentine belt started shredding in a long single thread. It got into the TB cover and wrapped around the timing belt sprocket. In fact it still has some threads wrapped around the crank going inside the oil seal.

I was as amazed as you are that this could happen but trust me, it did. I can post photos if you like. I thought the same as you that the inertia of the cam could not be slowed by the crank causing a skip, but what I think happened was the tread of the serpentine belt built up around the timing belt clog to cause the TB to skip. The serpentine unraveled like pulling a thread from a piece of cloth.

tardcart
Year and Model: 96 850t. 93 940t
United States of America
tardcart

Post by tardcart » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:18 pm

what terrible luck. now I'm sorry I put my old cracked belt back on thinking who cares if it breaks. people seem to agree that three teeth will not cause interference, but the car would still runs so you must have gone beyond that. still it would be worth while to retime it and do a compression test or just try and start it. when it turns over you will hear it sounds wrong if there is no compression in one or more cylinders. then get a junk yard head and put it on. It cost more to buy 10 exhaust valves. it sounds like very worth it project unless you just dont have the time or space. try to stick with it once started as memory gets fuzzy after three weeks.
These users thanked the author tardcart for the post:
05s40

05s40
United States of America
05s40

Post by 05s40 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Hey thanks, that's what I wanted to hear, I gonna go this route first. As I said this is a summer project, no rush.