IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Electronic Parking Brake Service required?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

Locky2001V70
Year and Model: v70 P2 2001
Been thanked: 0
Locky2001V70

Electronic Parking Brake Service required?

Post by Locky2001V70 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:15 pm

Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched however nothing specific came up.
We recently purchased a very clean 07 build XC70 3.2 with 6 speed Auto.

Went to start the car this morning, all ok and then a warning flashed up "Parking Brake Service Required".
Car will change to Reverse, Neutral and Drive, but Parking brake is locked on.
I also disconnected the battery for 10 mins with no luck.

I've done a google search and looks like this is a mechanic/dealer fix only? I also saw that there is a hack to disengage the parking brake by jacking up the car and removing the EPB assembly and manually winding the motor back in.

I guess my question is , what part has actually failed? HAs anyone else experienced this issue and how did you solve it?

Im relative good with DIY repairs, I maintain our 04 V70, but with the electronics on the newer ones im not is sure its that easy?
I do have a VICE VIDA connector so I can clear codes if it comes to just that.