IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Help on a p455 code Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
catchaj19
Year and Model: 2007 XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
catchaj19

Help on a p455 code

Post by catchaj19 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:50 am

So recently my XC90 has been throwing a 2 p455 codes. It follows a pattern after I reset the light. First thing in the morning no code when started the next time I start the car if it is only shortly(15-30 minutes) after the 1st time I get a filler cap loose open warning in my message center. After several seconds of it being on it disappears. The absolute next time I start the car I get the same filler cap message and the check engine light comes on giving me 2 p455 codes. It repeats this pattern if I clear the codes.

Things we have tried:
1. Replaced fuel cap with a genuine volvo fuel cap
2. Replaced the purge valve.

We gave the car a quick once over and didnt find any overt tears, rips, etc. I assume the next thing to try would be a better looking over of the hoses and such followed by a smoke test if we cant anything with a thorough inspection?

Any help would be appreciated as I only have about a month and a half until my inspection is up.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
ggleavitt

Re: Help on a p455 code

Post by ggleavitt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:01 pm

Walk the evap hose all the way from the purge valve in the front to the evap canister in the back (remove spare, it's in the front part of the well). Look for a short-ish sleeve connection between the front hose section and the rear hose section, somewhere in the area between the fuel filter and the rear wheel well on the passenger side (can't recall exactly where it is). Check the J-hose and all hose connections on the canister and the pump.

Let us know what you find.
These users thanked the author ggleavitt for the post:
catchaj19

2005 2.5T AWD-195k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-125k

catchaj19
United States of America
catchaj19

Re: Help on a p455 code

Post by catchaj19 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:06 pm

Thanks for your reply. We will take this route this weekend and let you know the results.

catchaj19
United States of America
catchaj19

Re: Help on a p455 code  Topic is solved

Post by catchaj19 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:33 am

So the culprit was the filler neck vent tube. It had 3 pinholes in it since it had been rubbing against the body. We patched those with silicone and after 150 miles the light is still off. Hopefully it holds. Thanks again!