IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2002 S60 car stalling at stops and during low speed turns.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Ghost41
Year and Model: 2002 S60
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Ghost41

2002 S60 car stalling at stops and during low speed turns.

Post by Ghost41 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi. Car has 61,000 miles and all of a sudden stalls at stops and when making a turn at low speed. Seems to be worse as the day heats up(Phoenix). Tint shop killed my battery a few days ago by leaving key in ignition and on. Don’t know if that could have anything to do with it, but problem started right after later that day. Car starts up just fine.

I’m wondering if spraying some cleaner in the throttle body would be the best course of action. Thanks for replies.

Ghost41
United States of America
Ghost41

Re: 2002 S60 car stalling at stops and during low speed turns.

Post by Ghost41 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:11 am

Forgot to mention that this is a non-turbo engine.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Not an easy one, maybe the throttle body module but really not sure. How long had you had the car before the issue started ?

While there, be very cautious if bringing it to Volvo if they 'recommend' replacing this and that
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
Ghost41

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

MDK
Year and Model: 1998 xc 70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
MDK

Post by MDK » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:11 pm

You know... reading your post I know that " low voltage" does weird things to a Volvo. The tint shops usually let the vehicles run with the heat on to let the tint dry however.. it maybe a coincidence. You need to start with the battery and the charging system. if you have triple AAA ... which I recommend ..they can do that for free as part or their road side assistance program. I have a gold membership and it's worth every penny...
These users thanked the author MDK for the post:
Ghost41

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:56 pm

Perfectly agree with the above comment. Really quite a few owners reported weird things - including no start, immobilizer problems and so on - after having left the car parked long term and getting a drained battery. Really wish we'd learn one day the cause for these precise behavior, maybe someone who can get it fixed could report back to help us help others in the future. Until then - word of wisdom for these S60:

Long term parking = battery disconnected

These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
Ghost41

Ghost41
United States of America
Ghost41

Post by Ghost41 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. While most posts I had seen said the throttle body needs to be cleaned, I just ran across an article about a weak battery causing the alternator to work harder. It said this stresses the engine, which, in turn, causes it to stall. The tint shop had my car for 8+ hours because they had to remove the old tint. One technician said they screwed up by leaving the key in the on position. Don’t know if it was for the full eight hours. Cleaned the throttle body with a clean cotton t-shirt, but no improvement.

I have had the car for two weeks. Problem started at one week. My mechanic friend put it on his scanner when I got it, and it didn’t have one fault code. He proclaimed it “healthy as a horse”. He is incredibly busy, but is supposed to look t it tonight or tomorrow. I will post the results.

Ghost41
United States of America
Ghost41

Post by Ghost41 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:24 am

Hi, guys. Well, it was the battery. The tint shop killed it past the point of no return. My mechanic says when a cell dies and available amps go below 10 amps, it is past being able to charge back up. The alternator was fine, but at low idle speeds, the electronic throttle body is drawing power to keep it at a certain speed. Makes sense, as having the air on seemed to make it more likely to stall. As did the increased heat. He did have to do a re-learn procedure. When it was dead for so long, it forgets how it is supposed to “act” or perform. This includes the climate, idle speed, etc. He said as long as I swap the battery within 15 minutes, the car will not have to go through the re-learn process again. If it goes past 15 minutes, turn the key to the on position for 60 seconds. You will be able to hear it going through all it’s calibrations from the engine. Not very loud. You have to listen for it. After 60 seconds or more, turn it off. Then start the engine. He recommended I do this even with getting it changed within 15 minutes. Now onto the fight with the tint company to get reimbursed. If I made any mistakes in this information, it just means I forgot how my mechanic explained it. Please correct me if I did.

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:19 am

Being it was an almost 17 years old battery that makes sense. That said, I'm not sure the tint shop will be quick to refund it because draining a healthy battery does not cause it to fail. In your situation, it was a very old one - time wise, because the miles are rather low - so that might as well have been time to replace the battery at that point.

While there, it is also perhaps a good moment to replace something like half the transmission fluid at 60K miles, using 4qts of 3309 type fluid - this one should be a good choice https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... -1161540kt

Speaking of cleaning the throttle body, yours has a rather sensitive throttle body unit that is known to be problematic at higher miles so I would be a little reluctant to try cleaning it - at the very least I would undo the car battery and disconnect the tb connector and try not to move too much that flap inside. But if the idle is now stable at all times, I would leave it there to be safe

Ghost41
United States of America
Ghost41

Post by Ghost41 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:13 pm

The battery was not 17 years old. It showed May 2019 on it. You will never get even close to 17 years with our heat. Five is doing well here.

Draining a healthy battery does cause it to fail according to my mechanic. He tested it several times last night, and it is bad. He tested it when I bought it and it was over 90% at that time. See what I said above about going past the point of no return with the voltage. I said amps, but meant volts.

Mech did disconnect battery while he was cleaning throttle body.

He is going to go over it in a couple weeks and give it everything it needs. Thanks for suggestions.

Though I put in a new Exide battery this morning(SX-H6/L3/48 750CCA)it has since stalled twice. Once during coasting to a stop, and then when fully stopped. Temp was 96, with ac set to 64 and fan halfway to max. Radio was also on at time. It’s still hesitating from a stop, though it is a little better. So I don’t know what to say. The problem persists. Better is not acceptable. Waiting to hear from mech.

MDK
Year and Model: 1998 xc 70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
MDK

Post by MDK » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:37 pm

MDK here... well.. there you go... topic solved.