IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Impressed: Mercedes CLA 250 "Most aerodynamic production car to date" Topic is solved

Come on in, introduce yourself and say hi! List Volvo events here. Have a hot Volvo? Show it off here.
mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Impressed: Mercedes CLA 250 "Most aerodynamic production car to date"  Topic is solved

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Mercedes Claims It's CLA Is The Worlds Most Aerodynamic Production Car

Plugging some numbers into ecomodder.com, even with standard tires and engine efficiency tweaked the 'low side' etc, the FWD equipped CLAs running on gasoline are likely to achieve real word highway econ on flat terrain approaching or over 50mpg.
That's impressive.
Seems MB got serious to address the primary reason I wouldn't consider any of their mid size sedans dating through the 2000's: small cars that get awful MPG, even on the highway. I know somebody who bought one - and traded it within 6 months for a Jetta citing fuel cost as primary 'car killing' factor.

@3200lb curb weight, turbo with 208hp/258lb-ft, luxury class.. pegs it as a 'real car' in my book.
Volvo hasn't released aerodynamic numbers for the MY19 S60. I'm guessing they have work to do in this area --especially considering their electrification plans + PHEV buyers are more likely look at this stuff.

I look at it. Drivetrain variant of my S60, FWD-low pressure turbo, was chosen specifically for it's winning combination decent performance with style and good econ. Just because gas is relatively inexpensive now doesn't mean it's going to stay that way.
These users thanked the author mrbrian200 for the post:
matthew1