IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Loud metallic screeching from rear wheels

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Randall0208
Year and Model: 2000 volvo s70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Randall0208

Loud metallic screeching from rear wheels

Post by Randall0208 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:25 pm

Hello, I have a 2005 volvo xc90 t5 and its embarrassing to tell this story but I was backing out of my spot at the beach and they have the damn wooden logs as dividers for the parking lot and its the dead of night and I couldn't see them. I ran over one of them and it shook the car violently and in a fit of rage I put it back in drive and ran back over it. After that, there was a really bad metallic screeching and very small vibration and almost felt like drag coming from both rear wheels. The sound was like a shopping card being pushed in a parking lot except mixed with some nails on chalkboard noises. I'm guessing I blew out both my wheel bearings so I need to replace the hubs? I saw online though that a bad wheel bearing is mostly just vibrations but maybe I destroyed them so badly from the impact that they are screeching too? I also heard the screeching could be from rotors or something like that. I'll be doing my own work on it and stuff I have the tools, just wondering if anybody has any tips or advice. I plan on jacking up the rear and spinning the wheels to see what I hear. My guess is the wheel bearings are shot and I need new hubs on both sides but I'll also inspect the rotors and all that. Thanks guys, this is rough it's my only way to work :(

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Masscomguru

Re: Loud metallic screeching from rear wheels

Post by Masscomguru » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:30 pm

More likely that the parking brake shoes delaminated from the hit and are just floating around inside the rotors inner drum.

Randall0208
United States of America
Randall0208

Post by Randall0208 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:18 am

Masscomguru wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:30 pm
More likely that the parking brake shoes delaminated from the hit and are just floating around inside the rotors inner drum.
Wow that would actually really make sense, is there a chance I can put them back in place or are they totally shot and need to be replaced? I guess I’d have to look im assuming

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:37 am

Here are my three guesses: 1) You managed to deform the e-brake cable and/or its routing; 2) You bent a brake dust shield; 3: Above rear e-brake pads.

Start be getting under the car and looking for actual damage - you should see something. Then either lift the car up so you can rotate the wheels or have some one drive it slowly in a safe spot and you follow walking trying to pin point the sound. If still no luck jack it up and remove the rear wheels and take a look. Finally take off the rear rotors and inspect the inner brake pads. For this operation you will have to read up on the e-brake assembly as they will need to be backed off. If they are damaged you may have a slight fight on your hands to remove the rotor.

The only way to know what is going on is to get under there and isolate the noise. If the e-brake cable routing to knackered you may be able to realign it, but this depends on what damage you did.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:38 pm

"bad metallic screeching and very small vibration and almost felt like drag coming from both rear wheel"

I would lean towards dust shield bent and dragging on rotor as noted above, experienced that myself.

2005 2.5T AWD-194k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-124k

Randall0208
United States of America
Randall0208

Post by Randall0208 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:35 pm

Thank you all for your input and help, took apart one of the rear wheels today and took off the caliper and rotor and thankfully when I spin the hub it doesn’t make any noise. But when I attach the rotor back on it still makes the noises. The parking brake system appeared to still be in tact and working although I don’t know much about them. I don’t think the dust shield is rubbing either, it looks normal no gashes in it from rubbing on my rotor. Anyone have any clue? I’m guessing it must just be the parking brake, if I don’t want my parking brake can I take it off any way? Thanks!

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Visuals for reference-
XC90 Rear Brakes.JPG
XC90 Rear Brakes.JPG (48.66 KiB) Viewed 152 times
XC90 E Brake.JPG
XC90 E Brake.JPG (61.88 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Emergency brake shoes are not de-laminated and I'll assume they have some material left so no metal to metal there I'll guess. The wheel rotates so I'll further guess the e-brake cable is not an issue.

Only so many parts can make a metallic screeching sound and when I've heard it to a degree it's annoying on either of my cars, the culprit has turned out to be a dust shield contacting a rotor or a heat shield rubbing against an axle (V8 pass side as example). Metal to metal contact is key to this sound in my opinion.

I would get under the car and walk the dust shields on both the front and rear wheels and don't be shy to bend them back some, make sure the outside lip as well as the entire back plate are completely free from contact with any rotating part.

I'll be interested in seeing what this turns out to be. Good luck !

2005 2.5T AWD-194k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-124k

tardcart
Year and Model: 96 850t. 93 940t
United States of America
tardcart

Post by tardcart » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:45 pm

sometimes I think Mathew is stiring the pot with psudonames asking about crazy scenarios.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Post some pictures of your exhaust and of the hangers plus the center carrier bearing. Maybe something got bent based on the other thread you started.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:58 am

Ill go with
bent rotor
Bent driveshaft
bent backing plate

I doubt anything inside the rotor got hurt