IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Brake Lights won't go off - 2006 XC90

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
The Blue Whale
Year and Model: 06 xc90, 2011 xc60,
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
The Blue Whale

Brake Lights won't go off - 2006 XC90

Post by The Blue Whale » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:15 pm

I went to drive my 06 xc90. As soon as I unlocked my car with the key fob, the third brake light came on and stayed on. I could get it to go off by pumping on the brakes a few times. This worked for a while, but then it didn't. The light stayed on. On my way home, the windshield wipers started coming on. I had no way to stop them. After I got home, and turned the motor off, everything stopped like it was supposed to. But a few minutes later, the third brake lights came on again. No key in ignition. I removed the panel on the left rear by the tailgate and messed and shook wires and all the brake lights came on. The only way I got them off was to just disconnect the battery.
Where should I start looking for an answer.
Also, it had rained earlier that day, if that means anything.
Help.
Last edited by matthew1 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improved title. Please, no "help"s in titles.

The Blue Whale
Year and Model: 06 xc90, 2011 xc60,
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
The Blue Whale

Re: Brake Lights won't go off - 2006 XC90

Post by The Blue Whale » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Welp. I think it was the rain. Next day everything was and is fine. I got on internet and read where they are issues with water and the control unit. Sure enough, the drains below the windshield wipers were severely clogged and the water was pouring into the vent onto to of the control unit cover. Fixed that and now I'm going to fix the moon roof drain in the roof pillar that's probably clogged. Hoping this will fix the issue.