IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2004 S80 2.5.T AWD - Tight turns lead into Stall- tie rods to blame?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
andeus
Year and Model: 2004 S80 2.5LT AWD
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
andeus

2004 S80 2.5.T AWD - Tight turns lead into Stall- tie rods to blame?

Post by andeus » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:48 pm

Long time no see, MVS crew.
I'm back with yet another issue.

About 3 weeks ago, I went into a Quality Auto Center (QAC) shop near me for a wheel alignment.
The wheel alignment was performed, yet after about a week, I noticed the alignment was still off- I had to hold the wheel at an angle to drive straight still, granted not as steep as an angle as before.
Wheel alignments are covered by a limited warranty, so I went back and had the alignment redone- same location as before.
The alignment was performed.
They said they tried their best to align straight, but the tie rod ends are in a poor condition that they couldn't make it 100% straight alignment.
QAC advised on replacing the tie rod ends, quoting $400 parts/labor.
I got the car back, and the steering felt "loose"- I have to really crank the wheel around to turn 90 degrees in either direction.
I'm guessing that it's something to do with the tie rod ends?
No matter, I ordered replacement tie rod ends, outers and inners, for both sides.
I'm planning on either replacing them myself or hiring a mechanic.

But recently, something else sprung up.
One day I was driving home from work and I made a less than 90 degree turn at an intersection from rest.
The S80 shuddered, and stalled out. All the lights on the dash lit up and the car shut off, still in Drive.
I managed to turn on the hazards and after a complete safe stop, I placed in park and restarted the car.
The rest of the drive home (around 10 miles more) went fine.

Since then, I noticed that sometimes when I make a 90 degree turn or less from rest, the car "pauses" and then revs up, despite normal consistent acceleration during the turn (aka, my foot on the pedal)
Odd.

Three days ago, I parked my car at work and when I tried to turn to back out, the car stalled out in the same manner as the first time.
Despite all efforts to restart, no success.
Must have tried 20 times- the car would turn over, reach 1000 rpm, idle and then die within 1-7 seconds.
AAA towed the S80 home.

After "resting" for one hour, the car drove fine- idle was at 700 RPMs, which according to Wikipedia, seems to be fine.
Mechanic friend of mine hypothesized that this issue couldn't be related to the tie rod issue, and recommended to replace the fuel filter and clean the MAF sensor.
I did both last night; the fuel filter looked like it was from the Titanic- it was terribly rusted, but not compromised.
MAF sensor looked fine, but cleaned it anyway using CRC's MAF Cleaner, according to the directions.
Drove the S80 afterwards, with everything hooked up and cleaned up, and the car drove fine. If anything, I noticed I didn't have to depress the medal as much as before to accelerate.
Shifting between gears was fine, no anomaly there.

Today, went out to do errands, and came back to the house, parked out front.
Experienced the turn anomaly when I turned 90 degrees into the street I live on, to park.
And now- same issue as three days ago- can't start, in the same way.

It should be noted that none of these issues were present before the second alignment.

TL;DR- S80 has "loose" steering, "pauses" on some 90 degree or less turns, almost guaranteed to fail to start after parking afterwards. Tie rod ends to blame, or something else?

My questions are as follows:
Was what QAC said about the tie rod ends preventing 100% alignment correct?
What did they do that would leave the steering so "loose" afterwards?

Why does my S80 "pause" on 90 degree or less turns, or lead to a stall?
And is this the same cause as to why it usually cannot start afterwards?

Was my mechanic friend correct in saying these issues with stalling are not connected with whatever QAC did during the second alignment?
If not, are bad tie rod ends connected to this issue?

Sorry if this post seems like a text wall, but I figured it's best to give as much context as possible rather than re-explaining myself over and over in the comments.

Currently cruising (or fixing) my 2004 Volvo S80 2.5L Turbo AWD.

dj_v70
Year and Model: v70 2003
dj_v70

Re: 2004 S80 2.5.T AWD - Tight turns lead into Stall- tie rods to blame?

Post by dj_v70 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:35 am

Yes, it can be. Bad tie rod ends generally give loose steering.

I don't think anyone could say for sure here. They might have damaged them slightly more in the evaluation process.

This is totally unrelated. Or if related at all, they left a connector slightly loose or something similar that is faulty while turning. However, there really isn't anything engine related that should have been messed with while aligning vehicle.

Was my mechanic friend correct in saying these issues with stalling are not connected with whatever QAC did during the second alignment?
He is correct. It is generally a fuel or spark issue. If car can't start, shoot some starter fluid into intake and see if car starts even for a second or two. If it starts and then stalls again, it is a fuel issue else check spark.
These users thanked the author dj_v70 for the post:
andeus

andeus
United States of America
andeus

Post by andeus » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:48 pm

dj_v70 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:35 am
Yes, it can be. Bad tie rod ends generally give loose steering.

I don't think anyone could say for sure here. They might have damaged them slightly more in the evaluation process.

This is totally unrelated. Or if related at all, they left a connector slightly loose or something similar that is faulty while turning. However, there really isn't anything engine related that should have been messed with while aligning vehicle.

He is correct. It is generally a fuel or spark issue. If car can't start, shoot some starter fluid into intake and see if car starts even for a second or two. If it starts and then stalls again, it is a fuel issue else check spark.
Fuel, huh?
I only put in premium and occasionally Lucas Oil.
I'll try the starter fluid and see if it helps.

dj_v70
Year and Model: v70 2003
dj_v70

Post by dj_v70 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:39 am

When I suggest possible fuel issue, I mean fuel delivery not the actual fuel itself.

Starting fluid is great for troubleshooting, however too much can be a fire risk. Read the can and/or YouTube videos for proper procedure.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:19 am

The apparent stall might be the ABS/Traction system killing the engine output- Two possibilities are a damaged ABS sensor wire that's either open or shorting as you turn the wheels, or a chunk of rust from one of the rotors came loose and is interfering with one of the wheel sensors. Inspect the wires/sensors on the front.

Try disabling the STC/DTSC when you start the car, if the stalling issue around turns goes away (the system resets after the next restart) then this is the issue.

andeus
United States of America
andeus

Post by andeus » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 pm

mrbrian200 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:19 am
The apparent stall might be the ABS/Traction system killing the engine output- Two possibilities are a damaged ABS sensor wire that's either open or shorting as you turn the wheels, or a chunk of rust from one of the rotors came loose and is interfering with one of the wheel sensors. Inspect the wires/sensors on the front.

Try disabling the STC/DTSC when you start the car, if the stalling issue around turns goes away (the system resets after the next restart) then this is the issue.
How do I disable the STC thing?
Got a guide for that?

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:33 pm

There should be a button on the dash below the climate control labeled either STC or DSTC with the green LED. After starting the car press and hold this button for 3 seconds, the green LED will go out and the DIM should show a message that the system is disabled. It automatically resets back to 'on' when you restart the engine.