IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Self-Adjustment Of Damper Motor

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

Pidde
Year and Model: Volvo 1995 850
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Sweden
Pidde

Self-Adjustment Of Damper Motor

Post by Pidde » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi everyone
hope you can read my bad english

Volvo 850 1995

Someone who has an idea why I get error message 5-1-1 all the time at ECC

i have tried 3 different ECC control panels and I have tested all Damper Motor and they work perfectly what i can see and hear i have made Self-Adjustment Of Damper Motor calibration 3 times and after every attempt to make Damper Motor calibration i got error code 5-1-1 does not get any other error messages only 5-1-1,

Someone who has encountered this error and may be able to help me

/Peter

scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R
Canada
scot850

Re: Self-Adjustment Of Damper Motor

Post by scot850 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:21 pm

From this link, it would appear that there may be a step or issue coming up prior to doing the calibration and that is that the damper limits have not been set. As to how this is done I don't know.

http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/850- ... ce-manual/

Neil.

2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold

Pidde
Sweden
Pidde

Post by Pidde » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:18 am

scot850 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:21 pm
From this link, it would appear that there may be a step or issue coming up prior to doing the calibration and that is that the damper limits have not been set. As to how this is done I don't know.

http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/850- ... ce-manual/

Neil.
Thank you for the link I have already read it many times

so it must be one or more damper motor that fails when i do a calibration of damper motor for it cannot be possible for three ECC control panels that can be broken

Is it possible to measure each damper motor without removing them, I mean from the ECC control panel three contacts

Peter

Pidde
Sweden
Pidde

Post by Pidde » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:49 am

Today I have tried to do Self-Adjustment Of Damper Motor calibration but still get the error code 5-1-1 and have tried two different ECC control panels and have tested all the damper motors and they opened and shut as they should so now have I run out of ideas
when i have started the car again and are out driving it wants to perform Self-Adjustment Of Damper Motor calibration though i have not activated test mode 4 and A / C control panel blinks
grateful for several tips

Peter

jreed
Year and Model: '97 Volvo 855 GLT
United States of America
jreed

Post by jreed » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:11 am

One basic question (forgive me if this sounds stupid)... what symptoms or problems are you experiencing with the climate control system in addition to the 5-1-1 code?

One helpful description of how to carry out the initialization procedure is available here:
viewtopic.php?t=27298

First:
Ignition off.
Blower switch in Manual position, half power.
Recirculation on.
Left and right temperature controls set to 22°C or 72°F.
Air flow selector set between Ventilation/Defrost. (exactly between face vent and defrost, the selector is pointing approximately 335 degrees, if defrost is 0 degrees and the direction of rotation is CW)
Air conditioning (A/C) switch on AUTO.

Then:
Ignition on.
Activate DTM 4 for self-adjustment of damper limit positions.
Wait approx. 10 seconds to let heater fan start.
Ignition off to exit test mode 4.
Ignition on.

Finally:
Drive car for a few minutes at a speed over 30 km/h. The control unit will then carry out self-adjustment while driving. (Editor's Note: you should be able to feel this happening, if you don't, it isn't happening!)
Stop car but leave ignition on for at least two minutes to enable control unit to store all values.
-----------

There is also some potentially helpful advice on alternative tools and methods to try here:
viewtopic.php?t=67994

1997 855 GLT (Light Pressure Turbo) still going strong. Previous: 1986 240 GL rusted out in '06, 1985 Saab 900T rusted out in '95, 1975 Saab 99 rusted out in '95, 1973 Saab 99 rusted out in '94

Pidde
Sweden
Pidde

Post by Pidde » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:00 pm

jreed wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:11 am
One basic question (forgive me if this sounds stupid)... what symptoms or problems are you experiencing with the climate control system in addition to the 5-1-1 code?

One helpful description of how to carry out the initialization procedure is available here:
viewtopic.php?t=27298

First:
Ignition off.
Blower switch in Manual position, half power.
Recirculation on.
Left and right temperature controls set to 22°C or 72°F.
Air flow selector set between Ventilation/Defrost. (exactly between face vent and defrost, the selector is pointing approximately 335 degrees, if defrost is 0 degrees and the direction of rotation is CW)
Air conditioning (A/C) switch on AUTO.

Then:
Ignition on.
Wait approx. 10 seconds to let heater fan start.
Ignition on.

Finally:
Drive car for a few minutes at a speed over 30 km/h. The control unit will then carry out self-adjustment while driving. (Editor's Note: you should be able to feel this happening, if you don't, it isn't happening!)
Stop car but leave ignition on for at least two minutes to enable control unit to store all values.
-----------

There is also some potentially helpful advice on alternative tools and methods to try here:
viewtopic.php?t=67994
What happens is when I turn the ignition to position 2 then REC / AC starts flashing and when I drive with the car after a little while I can hear how Damper Motor tries to do what I think a Damper Motor calibration (then what i think it goes into safe mode and works) then when I turn off the ignition to position 2 it flashes again.

how to do an ECC RESET PROCEDURE.

I have done exat a calibration like this

First:
Ignition off.
Blower switch in manual position, half power.
Recirculation on.
Left and right temperature controls set to 22 ° C or 72 ° F.
Air flow selector set between Ventilation / Defrost. (Exactly between face vent and defrost, the selector is pointing approximately 335 degrees, if defrost is 0 degrees and the direction of rotation is CW)
Air conditioning (A / C) switch on AUTO.

then:
Ignition on.
Wait approx. 10 seconds to light heater fan start.
Ignition on.

Finally:
Drive a car for a few minutes at a speed above 30 km / h. The control unit will then carry out self-adjustment while driving. (Editor's Note: you should be able to feel this happening, if you don't, it's not happening!)
Stop car but leave ignition at at least two minutes to enable control unit to store all values.