IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Front End Clunk

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

michaelunderway
Year and Model: 2000 v70xc
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
michaelunderway

Front End Clunk

Post by michaelunderway » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:16 pm

I have been trying to find the cause of a front end clunk noise ( sounds like a rubber mallet hitting something) and I have run out of ideas. It only does it when i go from a stopped position and not every time. It sounds like it is coming from under the drivers floorboard, tire or tranny area. I have so far replaced the spring seats, strut bearings, end links, upper motor mount, and lower torque rod mount. Could it be the lower control arm or lower ball joint? What about the sub-frame bushings or the large motor mount under the frame? What does axle ping sound like? Any ideas what to try next?

jking4020
Year and Model: 1997 850, 2001 v70xc
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
jking4020

Re: Front End Clunk

Post by jking4020 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:42 pm

Sounds like its something in the suspension. On accelleration the front end lifts up a bit. Your on the right track. Check all of the bushings and mounts. Inspect the strut again. An out of place/slipped spring can make a rubber mallet type clunk when going bad. Good luck.

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:25 pm

How many miles on your vehicle?
Axle ping is a lighter weight noise.

You didn't mention the mount beneath the crank pulley. Remove the RF wheel and the 2 nuts affixing the fender liner. Fold the liner back and hold it out-of-the-way with Vise-Grips. Only now can you inspect that mount. The rubber part collapses...you'd then get metal on metal.

I shoved in the 4 poly bushing inserts into my sub-frame bushings and felt a difference. They weren't making noise when I did it but I'd bet if they were the culprit the $29 insert set would abate any noise.

The "prying test" done to ball joints is easy to see. It does require a delicate touch with an 18" to 24" prybar. Don't gorilla it.

michaelunderway
United States of America
michaelunderway

Post by michaelunderway » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:29 pm

I have around 174k miles. I haven't replaced the passenger side mount because it sounds like it is the drivers side. What am I looking for when I pry the ball joint? I assume that i am carefully applying pressure to the lower control arm to see if the ball joint separates? Could it be the large hydraulic mount in back of the engine, that is the area that it sounds like. If i rock the car back and forth, i can see the engine rock from front to back 1/2-3/4"? I will probably do those sub frame bushings from IPD.

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:32 am

You are correct on the ball joint test. Have at that last mount for sure.
These users thanked the author Georgeandkira for the post:
michaelunderway

zjevik
Year and Model: S60 2006
United States of America
zjevik

Post by zjevik » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:49 pm

michaelunderway wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:16 pm
I have been trying to find the cause of a front end clunk noise ( sounds like a rubber mallet hitting something) and I have run out of ideas. It only does it when i go from a stopped position and not every time. It sounds like it is coming from under the drivers floorboard, tire or tranny area. I have so far replaced the spring seats, strut bearings, end links, upper motor mount, and lower torque rod mount. Could it be the lower control arm or lower ball joint? What about the sub-frame bushings or the large motor mount under the frame? What does axle ping sound like? Any ideas what to try next?
Does it do only after you start the car and reach 10mph?

michaelunderway
United States of America
michaelunderway

Post by michaelunderway » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:15 am

I dont hear it all all when im driving, only the first foot of movement from a stop and not always but most of the time.

michaelunderway
United States of America
michaelunderway

Post by michaelunderway » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:47 am

So after chasing the drivers side clunk for a while, this morning I jacked up the car both sides and removed the tires. There are a few things that looked out of place that I have questions about that maybe someone can answer. #1 The CV joint axle shaft on the drivers side, the inner joint has a good deal of play in it at the joint and also where it goes into the transmission? Is that normal or should it be tight like the passenger side? #2 The lower ball joint on the drivers side, if i put a pry bar between the knuckle on the Lower Control Arm, it moves about 1/8" does that mean that it needs to be replaced? #3 The hydraulic mounts, i dont see any tears in them but the steel cable is slack and they look flattened compared to the new ones online, how do I need if they need to be replaced? #4 the front engine lower mount, if I jack up the engine a little from under the oil pan and pry around the mount it moves front to back, how do I tell if this needs to be replaced? Sorry to have so many questions, I just want to get it fixed and on to other projects.

dj_v70
Year and Model: v70 2003
dj_v70

Post by dj_v70 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:03 pm

It sounds like you might have multiple issues, however, it is best not to troubleshoot based solely on this description alone. If you want to get the best feedback, recommend pictures/video.

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 06 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:06 pm

michaelunderway wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:47 am
...snip ... #1 The CV joint axle shaft on the drivers side, the inner joint has a good deal of play in it at the joint and also where it goes into the transmission? Is that normal or should it be tight like the passenger side? #2 The lower ball joint on the drivers side, if i put a pry bar between the knuckle on the Lower Control Arm, it moves about 1/8" does that mean that it needs to be replaced? #3 The hydraulic mounts, i dont see any tears in them but the steel cable is slack and they look flattened compared to the new ones online, how do I need if they need to be replaced? ...snip...
It really sounds like you're getting pretty close to nailing this.
Has your steering felt abnormal? (see #2)

Off the bat, I'd say spring seats/top mount plate (avoid Lemforder, new ones are all 5-month-lifespan Chinese isht!), sway bar end link, lower ball joint. But you've replaced all but the last of those.

For #1 - get a pair of claw hammers between your drivers side inner CV joint & trans housing (spaced far enough apart where they won't nick the seal/splines) and see, by prying, if it feels solid or if it actually moves outward from the trans housing. If it does move outward (freely), the snap ring hasn't been seated in the groove in which it should be. In a normal situation, where the snap ring is seated in it's little groove, you can move the inner CV joint in/out of the trans a small amount (1/8" max or so I'd say). If it is greater than that, the snap ring isn't seated or the snap ring has broken & can no longer seat into a groove properly for all the obvious reasons.

If it does move freely in/out of the trans, I might want to ask what has been done to it service-wise recently?

#2 - Try tightening those 2 bolts under the knuckle first. I highly doubt they are loose, but who knows. If steering/handling has felt abnormal, this (ball joint) is a probable culprit.

The 2 big, beefy motor mounts are the least likely of your symptoms (in my opinion). Rule out things in the front left corner of the car before looking at these.
#4 the front engine lower mount, if I jack up the engine a little from under the oil pan and pry around the mount it moves front to back
There's hole in the underside of the subframe for this mount. Make sure the nut it tight. I doubt it's lose, but ya never know. With the weight of the engine being overcome by the jack under the oil pan (a jack under this has always made me nervous, disperse the weight with a 2x6 or 2x8 board at the very least) there will be a little wiggle room in the mount. You'll know if it's more than there should be.

2001 V70XC 135k
2004 V70 AWD 130k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 150k