IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Front subframe bushings and bolts parts compatibility check

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

justanotherhumanoid
Year and Model: 2006 S60
United States of America
justanotherhumanoid

Front subframe bushings and bolts parts compatibility check

Post by justanotherhumanoid » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:24 pm

Hey all, just wanted to check I've got the right parts before I replace the front lower subframe on my 2006 S60 2.5T AWD. It has a big dent in it that has been bugging me so I'm going to get a "new" subframe from a junkyard, replace the bushings, and install it with new bolts. I might do the front and rear lower engine mounts while I'm at it too but I'm undecided. Car has about 100k so it might be time for those. Anyway if anyone who has done this or is smart on it could confirm I've got the right parts picked out, I'd appreciate it, just a little uneasy because some posts I read indicated one of the bushings/two of the bolts might be different, and I don't want to be stuck mid-install because I ordered the wrong stuff.

Anyway here's what I think I need as far as the bushings and bolts go:
4 of these bushings: https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2 ... nents-scat
4 of these bolts: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/vo ... NS1nYXM%3D
Front subframe bushings and bolts.png
And if I decide to do the front and rear mounts (I'll leave the side for later since it's more accessible), two of these:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... 0-30778951

Thanks, all. Happy 4th!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MDK
Year and Model: 1998 xc 70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
MDK

Re: Front subframe bushings and bolts parts compatibility check

Post by MDK » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Well humanoid... are the subframe bushings on the new used one bad? Where is the subframe from originally. Are they dry rotted or something? Seems a little excessive. Look up subframe bushing inserts from ipdusa.com 30$ ... really tightens up the P2 's.. if you're bolts are good...why buy new? MDK

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:08 pm

-
Looks like a 4th Sale from IPD?
-
2006 S60 2.5T AWD Sub Bush Kit.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:19 am

OP should check his Tasca order. The bushings differ (see the kit). Not all 4 corners are the same.

Also, I believe the bolts are stretch bolts so they're single use. (of course I reused mine when I installed my poly inserts)

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:54 pm

That's a sweet price for such big bushings not to mention genuine + the inserts. Surely they don't get many orders, reason for the low cost - few are willing to venture with replacing them

MDK
United States of America
MDK

Post by MDK » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:28 pm

So, I just added the ipd inserts..30$... and added the strut tower brace convertor...ipd 44$..or so. What a difference. Really stiffened everything up and I used my old bolts with thread lock ...a 30" breaker bar and a piece of 3 foot fence post. That ain't coming loose!! And no ..I didn't notice any engine vibration really. 2004 S60 R AWD auto 5 speed. Still needs more work...I gotta list. Rolling on

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:48 am

105 Nm for the new subframe bolts, then 120 degrees angle tightening

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

justanotherhumanoid
Year and Model: 2006 S60
United States of America
justanotherhumanoid

Post by justanotherhumanoid » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:12 pm

Gents, just wanted to say thanks for the info and replies. I'll follow up here:

MDK: I'm planning to replace the bushings because I just assume that they'll be bad or close to it on any subframe I'm getting from a junkyard - also there's apparently no better time to do it than when you have the subframe out (easier to remove the old bushings and press in the new ones, both of which appear to be not much fun to do while laying under a car). The bolts are supposed to be replaced any time you pull them per VIDA because of the stretch or something, and well, I'm just paranoid about contradicting VIDA. The inserts I might do later, I went and read some about them and they seem like a good compromise between the Delrin (added vibes at idle but better feel while driving) and the standard bushings (kind of mushy feeling). What is a strut tower brace converter, this thing? https://www.vivaperformance.com/strut-t ... e-s60-v70/

MoVolvos: Dude, thanks! When I first searched for the part numbers directly on IPD, nothing came up, but when I searched for that kit I found all the bushings, bolts, etc. I just ended up ordering the bolts and aftermarket bushings, and also the IPD sway bars (~$407 during the 4th sale, ends tonight!). Tasca ended up being out of stock so you totally bailed me out with that kit info, otherwise I would have had to venture down the more questionable eBay/amazon roads.

Georgeandkira: I ended up ordering 4x 3507923 bushings, which is what Tasca and IPD's sites recommended. IPD does sell another but it looks like that is a front bushing for an XC90. So maybe they are different front and back on the XC90 but same all round on the S60? Also the Delrin bushings I checked out appeared to be 4x identical pieces, so I'm hoping they're all the same, otherwise I'm going to be in for an unfortunate surprise and my Volvo is going to be stuck up on jacks for a bit (very uncool). If you're 100% sure, then please show me what I should have ordered, otherwise I'm going to be in a tight spot come Saturday afternoon.

Abscate: Rog. Thanks man (again)!

Excited for the sway bars, totally unexcited for subframe bushing replacement and basically everything related to it. But hey sway bars!

Thanks again gents, man this site (because of ya'll) is awesome. Will update later.

MDK
United States of America
MDK

Post by MDK » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:05 am

Well humanoid... MDK here. Of course I'm probably the last person you should listen to. I've been fixing cars/ trucks... whatever since 1983. You see Volvo designs those bushings for "ride comfort" I suppose being in San Diego that the ocean salt air could be a factor in dry rotting. I can't "SEE" through this forum you know. All I know is what works for me. Stretch bolts? Sounds like snake oil...I just did what your attempting to do. I'll let the forum know if my S60 R comes apart from not using new bolts. Engine vibration? Steering wheel feed back? ... get a magic carpet!! Hahaha..I realize there are checks and balances for everything... all things have their limits. Welcome to the human condition.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:05 am

This probably is a place where you should use new Torque to Yield (stretch) bolts

If you are scraping by, at least punch mark all four with two marks and then watch them with the abscate formula

Drive a day, inspect
Drive a week, inspect
Drive a month, inspect
three months, inspect
Six months - they are proclaimed to be safely attached and staying in.

You might get bored with all that inspection, buy new ones and torque them to spec. They make great birthday presents

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW