IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

99 s70 died on highway : multiple codes Topic is solved

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

amblerman
Year and Model: 1999 s70
United States of America
amblerman

99 s70 died on highway : multiple codes

Post by amblerman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi folks,

My 1999 5 sp base s70 left me stranded and in need of a tow today. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what happened.
3 weeks (or so) ago:
Did proper shim fix on AC. Had to take off alternator. Put 500 miles on car since then and it's been fine.

2 days ago:
Landed in philly with sons. Car started right up. As we pulled onto highway, went through a LITTLE bit of water from a rain storm and it was significant enough to splash side of car. Car worked fine for another 20 mins.
While on highway, we went over a bump. normal hiway bump. Then the battery light came on... then the brake, SRS, ABS, light bulb out land traction control lights came on.. then the battery light dimmed and went off.. Rest of lights stayed on and car drove fine and I got home. Shut car off, 30 mins later started car and no lights were on except for the burned out bulb light and low and behold, my headlight was out so that made sense. (Why do these cars burn through bulbs so quickly?!?!?)

I figured the splash of water wet something and caused some flakiness. No check engine light ever came on.

yesterday:. Care drove fine but only drove 2 miles

Today. On highway, crusing for 30 mins at 70, AC on... Thought car was hiccuping ever so slightly.. "Am I imagining that????" Noticed my AC indicator light was off. Thought that was strange. Pressed it on/off a couple of times. Then noticed dash board lights on again. SRS, ABS specifcally. Told my son "I think we have to go home and change cars" . Immediately after saying this (oh the irony), the car shudders and check engine light comes on. Car running rough/ Notice speed indicates 0 eventhough we're going 60. Mileage and trip computrer are now just "---------". Engine is still running but rough. I pull it out of gear and start coasting to breakdown lane. Try driving a bit more.. Instant loss of power.. I keep down shifting and with each rev of the engine feels less powerful than at idle. As engine revs, we go slower. as if at higher RPMs, coils are turning off. Now stopped. Car idles file. Try inching along in 1st (it's a manual). once I get slightly above idle it starts getting choppy and I lose power. Have to play the clutch game to get it to inch smoothly in 1st just at idle.

Give up and stop car. Idles fine. Roll down windows.. Shut off car... wait 10 seconds and try to start. Dash doesn't light up and makes no sound.

Get towned home. Odometer is now accurate.. Car starts and immediately dies. "crank crank. VVRRRRoooommm... sputter die."

Codes : P0562 (Low voltage), P0341 (Camshaft position sensor circuit Range/performance.

The battery does sound weaker now. It's only 2 years old and an interstate. Charging up another battery to swap for time being.
Will be spending rest of day debugging this but if anyone has any suggestions, please fire away.

Thanks

-A

amblerman
United States of America
amblerman

Re: 99 s70 died on highway : multiple codes

Post by amblerman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Upon further research (other postings and Robert's video) all signs point to issue with charging system

More info to follow.

yanga001
Year and Model: 1998 v70 N/A
Canada
yanga001

Post by yanga001 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi, we had the same issue the other day abs, tracs, and brake lights. It was fixed by recharging the car battery. It seems like you are on the right track with the charging circuit. Best of luck.

1998 V70 N/A Auto (Workhorse)
1999 S70 T5 Auto(Project)

amblerman
United States of America
amblerman

Post by amblerman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Ok.

I put the battery on a small charger. Got it up to 12.00 volts. I know that's kind of low but it's only a small charger.
While it was charging, I cleaned all terminals with brake cleaner and sandpaper.
They looked good but I realize visual inspection isn't the final word.

I then hooked battery up and did this test.
1) engine off: voltage between terminal = 12.00
2) started engine. It started right up and idled fine. Voltage between terminals.: 11.75.
3) voltage between alternator nut on red cable to negative terminal on battery: 11.75.
4) turned off motor, voltage between terminals 11.75.

This points to a bad alternator doesn't it. Am I missing anything?
Would next step be take alternator off and have it bench tested?

Thanks

-A

ecbsykes
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
United States of America
ecbsykes

Post by ecbsykes » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Sounds electrical to me. The P80s, especially 99-2000 get really weird with bad electrics. How old is the battery? Is the alternator original? When mine died, I got all sort of lights and eventually found myself coasting as well. I'd suspect alternator, but also if your charging cables are original, they probably need replacing as well, in particular the negative cable to the fuse box goes bad.

Those voltages you're measuring seem really low.

2000 V70XC - 283,000 miles
Hilton Tune, 16T Turbo, Mototec 3" downpipe, Blue injectors, IPD Short Ram Filter, Snabb Intake Piping & RIP kit, do88 Intercooler, TME Dual Exhaust, HID Projectors, R Panels, do88 Silicone Hoses

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:34 am

12.0 volts at rest is a dead battery. If you don’t go up up to 13.5-14 with the eng8ne running, it’s alternator or wiring.

Alternator Tetris is likely in your future.

Might have good used 99 in my stash

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

brunocerous
Year and Model: 1998 V70
United States of America
brunocerous

Post by brunocerous » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm

This sounds similar to what happened on a cross-country trip in my '97 VW Golf:

First the dash lights went out, then the A/C, then it died right in front of my friend's house. The next morning it started right up, and died again after a couple of miles. AAA towed it to the dealer, where they found that a bolt had come undone from a pulley along the serpentine belt, preventing the alternator from charging the battery.

I'd check the wiring carefully first. Then, as Abscate says, alternator Tetris. Good luck!

2000 V70, base, MT, 'The Silver Bullet'
1998 V70, base, AT, 'Blue Steel'
1998 V70 T5, AT, project
1999 V70 XC AWD, AT (RIP)
1998 S70 T5, AT (RIP)

amblerman
United States of America
amblerman

Post by amblerman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:31 am

Thanks guys,

I got my battery up to 12.4 volts and I plan to test everything again. Then I will replace all the major wires as a precaution since they are 20 years old now.

I took my alternator out already so I could have it tested at a shop. I found out that they can't test this alternator outside of the car. Took me visits to three different auto parts stores before I got a definitive answer on that.
At the first store they didn't have the right pigtail for testing machine (we figured it just got lost). The second store had been open for a week and no one really knew how to use the machine. turns out machine was telling us it couldn't be tested but the message was quite vague and we assumed it was because they didn't know how to use the machine.

3rd store straight up told me they couldn't test it outside of the car for that particular model.
So I will be reinstalling it and testing it.

I have watched numerous videos on how to test it but but just checking if there is sufficient increase in voltage just tells me if it is working or not. It doesn't tell me what might be broken to determine if all I need is voltage regulator. part of me want to rebuild it but I don't want to buy a rebuild kit that is just a voltage regulator and bearings if something else is broken.

-A

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 am

Let me ask my Ambler connection who he uses for electrical testing - thats crazy that a shop can't test an alternator, sorry.

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

amblerman
United States of America
amblerman

Post by amblerman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi Folks

Sorry about dropping off and not replying. I had some personal things to take care of.

So here's where I'm at.

1) I looked at the cable going from + terminal to fuse box. It looked ok but I know visual inspections aren't perfect.

2) I looked closely at the positive cable in general and realized it's not original. Rather the battery clamp wasn't original. It was a style I didn't like. It was this style:
clamp.png
That's the kind where you just clamp the main cable and then the bolts tighten down. The cable is just squashed in there and open to corrosion.

I also found that the connection from the + clamp to fuse box was loose. Was it always loose? I have no idea.
Since The main wires were corroded and I didn't like the clamp, I decided to rewire everything.

Battery to starter: 2 AWG
Starter to Alternator: 4 AWG
Battery to fuse box: 4 AWG

I got everything back together and measured at all possible connections: 12.4 V
No voltage drops at any connections.

I fired the car up, and with nothing but running lights on, and the car idling, the voltage measured 11.9.
I then held it at 2K RPM. still 11.9 V.

Not good.

It seems to me the alternator is kaput but the odd thing is my battery light on the dash is NOT on.
But then I read what that light means. It means low voltage and NOT that the alternator isn't detected or running.

Can the light stay OFF if it still sees enough voltage with just the battery (ie a bad alternator).

I also thought about the possibility that the battery bulb could have burned out even though I replaced all bulbs a year ago. Then again we know how these cars eat bulbs for some reason.

The alternator only has two connections. the main cable and the little wire plug.

I don't know how to test anything more than what the voltage is with the car is running.
I had planned on buying a new alternator but I am puzzled as to why my battery light isn't on.

Any opinions out there

Thanks

-A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.