IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

06 V8 - AC Question

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
neworleans
Year and Model: 2007 S60R
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
neworleans

06 V8 - AC Question

Post by neworleans » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:51 am

Hello all,

I have a 06 XC90 V8 with 166K miles. I recently changed the compressor and the condenser however I am still not getting enough cold air. It is blowing around 63 at idle where it should be 40. I checked the pressures again yesterday at 100F outside and the low pressure was 50psi high pressure was 185psi. The pressures were equalized after shutting off the engine. Then I tested the fan with Vida 2014D and was able to start/stop the fan at 33 & 66% but it didn't work for 100%. I was successful with this test for my S60R at all three stages.

Do you guys think I need a new fan? What you all think? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by neworleans on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: 06 V8 Question

Post by jimmy57 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:01 am

Tell us what it does with engine at 1200 or a little higher. Volvo and others give vent temps with engine speed increased above idle. Your 50/185 is dead on for a too slow compressor not able to elevate high side or drawn down low side since compressor is not at 100% capacity RPM. The variable displacement compressor on that vehicle improves idle performance but on 3rd row evap models the rear evap adds to the load.

VIDA does not run all models at that 100% selection. I doubt the fan has a problem. To check place an old bed sheet across front of vehicle and watch the high side pressure with engine speed elevated and see that fan speed ramps up. Pull the sheet at 350 psi as it would be at full speed by then and you don't need to stress compressor and reach the compressor of pressure.

Checking a/c with engine at idle speed is like checking for max alternator performance also with engine idling...not the way it is done. I'm not picking on you, I'm trying to get this info out there.

I have cut off old broom handles and 1x2s all over in a few lengths that I use for all the different vehicles to wedge between front edge of seat cushion and placed on accel pedal. Adjust as needed to get the desired elevated engine speed. They make a rig that looks like robbed pieces of a caulk gun but my pedal sticks work just fine.

neworleans
United States of America
neworleans

Re: 06 V8 - AC Question

Post by neworleans » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks Jimmy, I will definitely try it this evening and report back.

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Post by wanderdüne » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:41 am

Maybe reset the CCM, possible blend door?
http://www.timthurber.com/tims-volvo-si ... oor-noise/

neworleans
United States of America
neworleans

Post by neworleans » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:08 am

Hello all,

I checked the pressures yesterday evening and got the readings below.

@ Idle: LP: 51psi, HP: 185PSI, Vent Temp around 66F
@ 1500 RPM: LP: 44psi, HP: 215PSI, Vent Temp around 61F
The outside temperature was around 101F.

I also checked the fan. When I started the car with AC off the fan came on right away but at a slow speed. Turned on the AC and after about a minute or less fan started turning faster and always ran at that speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:31 am

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... e-readings

Might not be your issue but could be some additional info in the link to assist in troubleshooting.

** See MVS link in the SS link- viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86206

2005 2.5T AWD-195k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-125k

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:38 pm

Check that recirc is working. On a 101 day the vent temp should get in low 50s within a few minutes of window up, high idle, recirc on. It will usually get to upper 40s on 100F days even in the swamp after the vehicle interior cools. Volvo test spec for those temps is fan speed about 3/4 of full speed.
What the suction line temp before and after the junction with rear /c line behind engine? Not actual degrees but if it is fully charged an things are good those lines should be 30s and sweating. Does rear unit cool OK?

neworleans
United States of America
neworleans

Post by neworleans » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Guys, first of all I'd like to thank you very much for helping me out with this issue and I am currently considering every word you guys put in.
The compressor I put in is a used one that I got from Erie Volvo and it came off of a Volvo that had 60K miles from NY where people don't use AC as much. I was thinking about going towards replacing that selenoid after reading thru ggleavitt's second link which is pretty much my case.
Then I read jimmy's message and now I am really questioning if the recirc button is working because the light on that button goes off sometimes itself and I would just press again when I notice it. I am not sure how to test that button if it really functions. Any tip on that?

I will check the lines this evening and report back.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:04 pm

Recirc can be time based set or not, in the owners guide- https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/homeV3

Timer mode activation: (Vehicles equipped with the Interior Air Quality System have no timer mode) Press and hold the recirculation button for at least 3 seconds to activate a recirculation timer mode. The amber LED in the recirculation button will flash 5 times to show that the timer mode is being activated. In timer mode, each time the recirculation button is pressed, the climate control system will recirculate the air in the passenger compartment for 5-12 minutes, depending on the outside air temperature, and then revert back to fresh air.

Timer mode deactivation: Press and hold the recirculation button for 3 seconds. The amber LED in the recirculation button will illuminate steadily for 5 seconds to show a return to "normal" mode.

I defer (with much respect) to the guy who does this for a living as far as troubleshooting, just recall older compressors had the bore wear thing. Nevertheless, if you even suspect the compressor is a problem, Erie is great to work with, call them up and they'll send you another.

Good luck with your repair.

2005 2.5T AWD-195k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-125k

neworleans
United States of America
neworleans

Post by neworleans » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Thanks for your help ggleavitt. I checked a few things again this evening and here are my findings. The AC vent temperature went down to 53F after about 15 minutes so it takes a very long time to get a cool air but it gets cold. I checked the rear vents, they all work. Checked the suction line and it was very cold and sweating. Some guy on another forum said that the fan should be working at all three stages when checking with Vida, that makes me think if the fan is not sufficient so that cause long period for air to get cold, or is it really the compressor or the solenoid, or the expansion valve. Hopefully you guys can give me some directions.