IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

New Owner of a 2007 XC90 Has Questions

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
katieellen
Year and Model: 2007 XC90 3.2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
katieellen

New Owner of a 2007 XC90 Has Questions

Post by katieellen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi!

I’m the excited new owner of a pre-owned 2007 XC90 after searching for months for one that still ran decently and buying two (the first one died 30 minutes after driving off the lot, which was an eight hour round trip from home). I ended up buying another one that is not at all the color combo I really, really wanted and is missing a few desired interior features, but runs better than any of the others I looked at. However, it still needed a new compressor and transmission mount. Because of my experiences while searching, I kind of feel like it’s close to impossible to find any of these older XC90s still running well, especially if you’re looking for a certain combination of colors and features.

So here are my questions:
1. How do I keep this one last little gem running properly? Maintenance suggestions or things to watch out for? It does “jump” or shift hard when going into 2nd and this was not fixed with a transmission “flash” or the new mount, which concerns me.
2. Any suggestions for fixing minor cosmetic issues? Paint chipping fixes?
3. Any suggestions for finding/purchasing replacement parts (the rear passenger door handle is a bit loose)? And I do need to replace the headrests, because the DVD monitors have a few issues. Some black spots and one is unusable because it doesn’t open...
4. Any suggestions for updating the interior as far as convenience/tech features? The one thing I don’t like is not having Bluetooth... It has the little dealer added Bluetooth accessory, but as far as I can tell, it doesn’t work. Plus, it’s obviously very dated.
5. Any suggestions for finding another one when I have to replace this one? Because it’s still got 150k miles it already...

I just really don’t like the 2016 redesign and honestly I prefer the wood grain in the pre-2011 models. I drove a BMW X5 before this, but I really love the safety ratings of the Volvo and that these aren’t known for having the mechanical issues of the BMWs.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
ggleavitt

Re: New Owner of a 2007 XC90 Has Questions

Post by ggleavitt » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Welcome to MVS. Couple of links on this site and others specific to the XC90 and more specifically to the XC90 3.2.
2007 is the first facelift for the GEN1 XC90, and the first year for the I6 engine.

Lots of questions, much of the general XC90 maintenance information you're looking for is on this site and what's not is on just a few others. But try this site first.

Couple items for this vehicle:
TF-80SC- 6-speed transmissions with SN less than 06J "may" have worn valve body bores, this can result in hard shifts. Usually presented as a 2-3 "flare", but can be related to other gear transitions. Resolution for this is to replace the valve body, but might be good to get the car read by a Volvo centric code reader and see if it's reporting any TCM codes before spending a bunch of money on hardware. This in light of your comment that fluid and mount were already changed. For transmission fluid "flash" (flush?), it might be good to ask what was put in, just to be safe.

Bluetooth- Volvo outsourced this to Motorola for an OE kit (based on IHF-1000/IHF-1500). It's pretty easy to install (plug/play) and works fine but hard to find them available as new these days. I have them on both of my XC90s. If it's the OE accessory, a functional "guide" may be found here- https://download.lenovo.com/Motorola/Ma ... _EN_UG.pdf. Some folks have installed Parrot and other manufacturer units, there are quite a few posts with options and methods of install. Try an internet search for "2007 Volvo xc90 bluetooth handsfree kit options", see how far you get if the OE unit really does not work (even then, it's a pretty straight forward system to troubleshoot).

Parts and Maintenance information- easily the best resource for information on this vehicle is VIDA, you can find a 2014D VM image on this site or others (just posted some links in another thread) and get it loaded on a PC, then you can have a look at the door handle and determine how you want to manage it.

Sure there will be more but this should get you started. Good luck with your vehicle.

2005 2.5T AWD-195k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-125k

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: New Owner of a 2007 XC90 Has Questions

Post by matthew1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:14 pm

katieellen, welcome to MVS. Glad you found us! Post a pic of your new baby.

ggleavitt has great advice. In addition to that:
katieellen wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:43 pm
1. How do I keep this one last little gem running properly? Maintenance suggestions or things to watch out for?
Stage 0 will stop a lot of trouble before it even starts.

2. Any suggestions for fixing minor cosmetic issues? Paint chipping fixes?
Touch up paint. Get your paint code from your XC90, look for the product plate, then go looking for touchup cans. Try my sponsors. Tell them I sent you :wink:. It's one of those things that's difficult the first time you do it, but gets easier. Wash, wash, wash the spot. Dry it well. Apply a bit more than you think you need. It's a bit like nail polish. Wait. How do I know that? :?

3. Any suggestions for finding/purchasing replacement parts (the rear passenger door handle is a bit loose)? And I do need to replace the headrests, because the DVD monitors have a few issues. Some black spots and one is unusable because it doesn’t open...
Door handle part numbers, XC90s. Again, try my sponsors.

4. Any suggestions for updating the interior as far as convenience/tech features? The one thing I don’t like is not having Bluetooth... It has the little dealer added Bluetooth accessory, but as far as I can tell, it doesn’t work. Plus, it’s obviously very dated.
If you have the stomach for a sizable install bill, go to a *reputable* local car stereo installer and pick out a Bluetooth/CarPlay/Android Auto aftermarket head unit. If you have an iPhone, use my site CarPlayWorld to learn about CarPlay.

If you don't have the stomach or wallet for this, learn to live with what ya got, there are no shortcuts and many gotchas with the MOST audio system Volvo used in 2006+ XC90s. MOST is a gigantic, many-tentacled terror that defies all but the most (heh) determined. Or the most monied.

Kill it with great columns of fire, or leave it alone.

5. Any suggestions for finding another one when I have to replace this one? Because it’s still got 150k miles it already...
Cross that bridge when you get to it. 150k ain't there yet...

More

10,000 Things for New XC90 Owners
You Just Bought An Xc90. Now What?
Last edited by matthew1 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ggleavitt props, spelling, MOST additions
These users thanked the author matthew1 for the post:
pmg

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]