IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Timing Issues

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
BentValveJohnny
Year and Model: 2004 XC90 2.5 I5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
BentValveJohnny

Timing Issues

Post by BentValveJohnny » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Please help. I bent a valsve on my 5 cyl. Had the head re-surfaced and the valves replaced with the lash adjusted. The problem I am having is I cannot, for the love of all that is wholesome and good, get the timing set properly. The one time it DID run when I put it back together, it only made it next door. I am at the end of my rope and could really use some guidance. I spent 4 hrs yesterday setting the timing over and over and now I am getting a backfire with no engine turnover. My sweet baby has been garaged and sitting for 3 months now.....that's now way for her to be.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Timing Issues

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 pm

There are countless write ups and videos on this subject. Jump over to the V70/S60 forum as that engine is in those cars and there is much activity there on this subject.

I will wager you are having issues with the VVT hubs. They need to be set correctly or the play in them (used to advance/retard timing) will throw off the timing. You can watch some videos on it and it will all make sense.

My bet is you are doing everything correct, but the VVT setting - once you figure it out it will be simple.

Following VIDA instructions doesn't make sense until you figure out the VVT movement - then it is as clear as day.

BentValveJohnny
United States of America
BentValveJohnny

Post by BentValveJohnny » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:14 am

Yes sir, U are correct. The VVT hubs are at the center of it. What is VIDA? Are U talking about the V70/S60 forums on this site?

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 am

VIDA is the official Volvo instructions on repairs - what the Volvo dealers use.

Yes I am taking about the V70/S60 forums.

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=85265&hilit=VVT+timing+belt

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Adding another link viewtopic.php?f=9&t=77183 , the last part of the PDF has some reassembly tips.

I've done 6 T-belts and screwed up the hub position on 2 of them (the first 2). One I was close enough that I could adjust with the hub belt ring, the other I had to pull the belt and re-do.

Superherman is right, once you figure it out it's pretty straight forward.

Good luck.

** Regarding VIDA, can go to viewforum.php?f=40 or https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisp ... Management to find a copy of 2014D that will load up on a PC. Just on technical information alone, it's an invaluable resource.

2005 2.5T AWD-196k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-126k

BentValveJohnny
United States of America
BentValveJohnny

Post by BentValveJohnny » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:58 am

Thank you SuperHerman and ggleavitt. I got her running. The only issue I have now is the throttle wont go over 1500 RPM. I rechecked to make sure I had everything plugged in and such. I get codes for "malfunction with the operation of the Throttle Actuator Control System.", "Engine coolant Temperature circuit.", and "Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Malfunction Bank 2."

I am currently in the process of checking sensors and harnesses. Hopefully its easier than replacing a harness. If U screw that up....oh boy. But again Thank you guys for your direction.

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:24 am

Probe the wires at the coolant temp sensor connector with a voltmeter for +5v VREF (I think it's the Brown-Black wire, terminal 1). If that's ok you likely have a grounding issue somewhere.