IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2001 s60 running problem

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

davidbir
Year and Model: 2001 s60
Been thanked: 0
Canada
davidbir

2001 s60 running problem

Post by davidbir » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Hello all. This is long.
I have a XC70 and also this 2001 S60 (145000 miles) that my wife uses for short local journeys. We bought it cheaply a year or so ago. Last week we took it on a 500 mile trip because it has colder a/c than the XC70!

Prior to the trip I serviced it thoroughly with new engine and trans fluid and also replaced the pcv system and hoses-I did the rubber glove test and it failed. All went mostly well, the famous intake manifold bolt came out easily-I used a thin 1/4" drive socket but the banjo bolt held me up for four hours! While in there I replaced the spark plugs which looked like they had been there a long time-there was also a lot of oil under the top cover which I cleaned out.
The engine started well and ran fine for the few days prior to our trip.

We set off and after a half hour drive as we were pulling onto the freeway and I was accelerating fairly hard there was a 'pop' from under the hood and the engine continued to pull reasonably well but every time I lifted off the throttle the engine bucked. I pulled into a gas station after a few miles and the engine died at idle.

Examination revealed that the intake hose had blown off the intake manifold! "Funny, I thought" , since I had tightened that clamp thoroughly. I had packed tools so I was able to remove the cross-over pipe from the turbo and access the intake hose and clamp. The clamp was seized and would not tighten fully - I had a spare clamp (!) in my toolbox and fitted that, refitted the hose and the engine started and ran fine-my wife was very impressed!

We drove about a hundred miles at speed up into the mountains and symptoms suddenly returned: Ran reasonably well at sustained speed (70 mph) but bucking a lurching as soon as I had to lift off. I managed to pull off and examined the engine and could find nothing wrong-no loose hoses, no apparent leaks. After five minutes I tried starting the engine and it ran fine-so off we went again.

Seventy five miles later the problem returned only this time, as I pulled into a gas station I nearly ran into another vehicle since I was getting no power assist on the brakes. Ahaa! The servo vacuum line is off I thought--but it wasn't... I disconnected and reconnected various vacuum lines and checked for leaks-then restarted the engine and it ran fine. So we drove the last 75 miles or so-over mountains so lots of load and arrived at our friends place with the car running fine.

The car sat for two days and then we set out for home. Seventy five miles into our drive the problem occurred again. And fifty miles after that. Then thirty miles, then twenty miles... Each time I stopped, removed and refitted a couple of vacuum lines, checked everything and the engine restarted and drove fine for a while.

I have removed all the vacuum lines at the front of the engine and blown them out and checked and cleaned the one-way valves. When I pulled the brake servo vacuum line off the one-way valve at the manifold there was a rush of air into the servo -so it is retaining vacuum. I drove it hard most of this morning with no problem but as my wife drove to her work this afternoon (three miles) she had trouble keeping it running-the same problem.

Any suggestions? I convinced myself it was a vacuum issue but I suppose it could be something else. It seems to be temperature related. Coils?
Last edited by davidbir on Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: 2001 s60 running problem

Post by oragex » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:58 pm

Welcome to the forum
It may be related to the PCV job, it is easy to attach a hose the wrong way - or at the wrong place, on a turbo engine. May try a check perhaps using a mirror. Maybe that would cause the engine to create pressure instead of vacuum, at some point. Also perhaps good to check again all exterior hoses each goes to its place.

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 06 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:18 pm

When you mentioned the brake booster not functioning as it should it triggered a recent memory of a part I've replaced (a week ago).

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... o-30665561

Car ran like utter crap, (braking was horrible too) if the hoses going to/from this thing weren't positioned perfectly. Very easy thing to overlook, especially if you just did the PCV job.

The "cap" on the boost vacuum ejector tends to bust off after a while, moving hoses around & such, just kinda gives way.
These users thanked the author - Pete - for the post:
davidbir

2001 V70XC 135k
2004 V70 AWD 130k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 150k

davidbir
Canada
davidbir

Post by davidbir » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11 am

Thank you both for your responses!
Oragex: I have checked and double checked the vacuum hoses and cannot find a problem-which doesn't mean there isn't one of course!

Pete: That unit drew my attention-it is an odd unit and I wasn't sure what it does-it is a one way vacuum valve but obviously does more than that-it appears to have been replaced before since it is date coded 2008-If I do not find another problem I will replace it.

Last night I spent some time on youtube looking for clues and "robert" who has done quite a number of videos on older Volvo problems suggested that the rubber hose connections to the intercooler and then the intake manifold could collapse causing symptoms similar to what I am experiencing. I am about to try to get the symptoms to occur on local roads-wish me luck!

davidbir
Canada
davidbir

Post by davidbir » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:23 pm

OK, I took it for a run and got it good and hot and the problem occurred. I was able to check the rubber turbo hoses while the engine was acting up and they were fine. I could not find any other possible cause although I did give the suggest vacuum ejector thingy a couple of whacks-it didn't help but made me feel better.
I shut the engine off and immediately restarted and it ran fine! Got me home a few miles away.
I have ordered one of the vacuum ejector valve things from FCP and will try that but given the effect of temperature on this problem I am not sure that is the cause.

Any more suggestions gratefully received.

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 06 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:54 pm

Having had many encounters with failed ignition coils, I'm going to say that is your last concern. Were it an ignition coil you'd feel it most prominently under acceleration, not lifting off the go-pedal. Also, symptoms of a failed coil are constant, not intermittent. You will eventually run into a bad coil, so start stocking up on them whenever they pop up on CL or whatever. I've gotten a couple brand new ones for $20-25. They're $47/coil new. Do NOT buy anything but OEM/Bosch for these. Enough about coils.

The fact that you lost your brake boosting tells a lot right there. It has to be something involved in that circuit of vacuum hoses, which I'm sure you've already deduced. No guarantee of the ejector being the culprit, but replacements are a good thing to have on hand.

The booster ejector was the first thing that came to mind that can mechanically fail & create sporadic symptoms that parallel yours.
As a preemptive test, while idling, move the 3 hose barbs on the ejector around, exerting pressure from varying angles. You will hear a hissing noise if it has failed. If not, your problem lies elsewhere - but is likely linked via vacuum hoses to this very location.

I accidentally broke one of these checking the trans dipstick. I had no clue I had broken the cap off the ejector until a couple days later my mother in law said her brake pedal felt really hard & the car was running really bad.

If the ejector was positioned just right, it would run fine & brake function was normal. If it was kinked or just misaligned, it ran horrible & the brakes were not being boosted.
These users thanked the author - Pete - for the post:
davidbir

2001 V70XC 135k
2004 V70 AWD 130k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 150k

allenmathew
Year and Model: 2019 XC40
Has thanked: 0
India
allenmathew

Post by allenmathew » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:48 am

Thanks for the explaination..

davidbir
Canada
davidbir

Post by davidbir » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks Pete. There does seem to be a relationship to temperature-it only occurs when the engine is quite hot which would indicate to me that it isn't just a loose vacuum line--but I am only guessing!

The vacuum ejector is on order from FCP but it looks like I missed their early Friday cut-off so it won't get shipped until Monday...

dj_v70
Year and Model: v70 2003
dj_v70

Post by dj_v70 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:36 pm

My first thought is to break out VIDA/DICE to evaluate when issue occurs. Compare fuel trim/MAF, etc values to same when car is running fine. I would think you would narrow it down in short order. Do you have one? If you plan to keep the car for a few years, $100 well spent.

davidbir
Canada
davidbir

Post by davidbir » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 pm

No I don't have one and since I also own a XC70 it seems like a good idea!

Anybody have suggestions for an inexpensive source for VIDA/DICE reader?