IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Fake Carbon Fiber Waterfall Console

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials devoted to the second generation C70, S40 and V50 Volvos -- awkwardly model year 2004 ½ onwards -- plus where to go for advice and discussion on Volvo's sporty C30 Coupe powered by Volvo's ubiquitous inline 5-cylinder power plant.
MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Fake Carbon Fiber Waterfall Console

Post by MoVolvos » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:42 pm

-
I think we are the 4th owner of our 08 C30 T5. The car was pretty filthy inside and still is. But the Waterfall Console was full of big dings and scratches. Everything in terms of replacement was expensive so decided on a cheap option. This cover up was done before I returned to the forum so no photos of the process.

I normally research before doing any work but thought it wouldn't be too bad. Wrong! The design of the Waterfall was slightly different than the S40's so had a difficult time with one screw.

The material was easier to work with after a lot of time cutting, heat, time massaging, heat, time consuming trial and trail again on the curves and corners. Should have used gloves with a heat gun but opted for a safer BBQ long tip lighter. The scene behind the panel sees some hot glue to keep things from curling. A few errors also as I tried to do everything in one piece. The door handles were a mess with patching in a few areas but the Waterfall was basically one piece with fewer mistakes. Whether it's aesthetically pleasing or not the knobs and controls are much easier on the eyes now and sort of pops.

For $9.97 ( 1 x 5 ) it was worth the try. The 3.9Mils thickness seems about right. Purchased something thinner for the S80 to cover defects in the interior and it was had a sticker look to it (well not as advertised also). Got a refund, thanks Amazon.
-
VViViD XPO Black Carbon Fiber 5ft x 1ft Car Wrap Vinyl Roll with Air Release Technology
_
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9 ... UTF8&psc=1

-
Not one of my better handi-work as you'll see the many obvious problems. Will have to spend sometime on Youtube before doing it again.
-
08 C30 Door Handle.jpg
-
08 C30 Waterfall 0.jpg
-
08 C30 Waterfall 1.jpg
-
08 C30 Waterfall 2.jpg

-

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated