IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

850 oddities and questions

Help, Advice and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's extremely popular car line -- Volvo's 1990s "bread and butter" cars -- powered by the ubiquitous and durable Volvo inline 5-cylinder engine.

1992 - 1997 850, 850 R, 850 T5-R, 850 T5, 850 GLT
1997 - 2000 S70, S70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70, V70 AWD
1997 - 2000 V70-XC
1997 - 2004 C70

SonicAdventure
Year and Model: 1996 850 wagon
United States of America
SonicAdventure

850 oddities and questions

Post by SonicAdventure » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:49 am

Hi I have a 96 850 base now, and I’m trying to sort out a few oddities as follows:

1. Cigarette lighter is functional, but I’ve tried two plug in USB chargers and neither will work. Do these only function as a way to heat the cigarette lighting element? If so, what is a work around to get phone charging capability in the car?

2. Driver’s side heated seat does not function. The button works and the light comes on but no heat. What to check first?

3. What is the delete button (empty switch panel) on the passenger side next to the gear selector below the passenger side seat heater switch for?

4. Passenger side lower Map pocket from x70 series cars; can one be fitted into an 850? The trim panel seems similar in size. Is there a knee bolster in the 850 series like in the 70 series that would have to be removed?

5. Would all the fog light relays from a 98 V70 work if I was installing fog lights in the 96? I know the fog lights for 850s are a slightly different shape, but I assume the wires would be the same.

6. What is the usual problem when the front windshield squirters squirt fine, but not even a drop from the rear windshield squirter? The nozzle and the hose going up through the tailgate panel all seem to be intact.

7. Does the 850 have the yellow universal accessory plug above the steering wheel under the dash like the 70 series does?

8. Anyone have a good source for the 3/4” wide rubber weather strip that runs across the top of the windshields for an 850? Not seeing much online for this one and when you pull one off a car at the scrap yard they are covered in dripping mastic.

9. Is there a way to change the light bulb to the left of the A/C on master switch? I have manual climate control. The recirculate button lights up yellow when pushed to the left, the AC bulb is always off.

That should be enough for now, lol

scot850
Year and Model: 2000 V70 R
Canada
scot850

Re: 850 oddities and questions

Post by scot850 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:38 pm

#1 - There is a very low current output on the early cars cigarette lighter. Check that the contacts are not corroded at the base. Most moderns have a much higher output. Don't know of an easy way to up the output.

#2 Check the contacts under the seat. On an 850 there are 2 wires that go up through the center of the cushion base to the seat heater contacts. Either the wires fracture or the contact break off.

#4. Don't believe they are compatible as dashes are different especially around the glove box.

#6 - Can't recall if the 850's also have the dual washer motors. Check if there is a second motor mounted in the top of the washer bottle near the front of it. If I recall correctly there was a one way valve on the inner RH fender that can block.

#8 - Try a windshield shop. They may have a generic or aftermarket option.

Neil.

2000 V70 R - still being an endless PITA
2006 XC70
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited
2015 Kia Sportage EX-L
1993 850 GLT -Sold
1998 V70 XC - Sold
1997 Volvo 850 SE NA - Went to niece in California - Sold
2000 V70 SE NA - New project and test bed - Sold

callahanoffroad
Year and Model: 1995 850
United States of America
callahanoffroad

Post by callahanoffroad » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:27 am

SonicAdventure wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:49 am
Hi I have a 96 850 base now, and I’m trying to sort out a few oddities as follows:

1. Cigarette lighter is functional, but I’ve tried two plug in USB chargers and neither will work. Do these only function as a way to heat the cigarette lighting element? If so, what is a work around to get phone charging capability in the car?

2. Driver’s side heated seat does not function. The button works and the light comes on but no heat. What to check first?

3. What is the delete button (empty switch panel) on the passenger side next to the gear selector below the passenger side seat heater switch for?

4. Passenger side lower Map pocket from x70 series cars; can one be fitted into an 850? The trim panel seems similar in size. Is there a knee bolster in the 850 series like in the 70 series that would have to be removed?

5. Would all the fog light relays from a 98 V70 work if I was installing fog lights in the 96? I know the fog lights for 850s are a slightly different shape, but I assume the wires would be the same.

6. What is the usual problem when the front windshield squirters squirt fine, but not even a drop from the rear windshield squirter? The nozzle and the hose going up through the tailgate panel all seem to be intact.

7. Does the 850 have the yellow universal accessory plug above the steering wheel under the dash like the 70 series does?

8. Anyone have a good source for the 3/4” wide rubber weather strip that runs across the top of the windshields for an 850? Not seeing much online for this one and when you pull one off a car at the scrap yard they are covered in dripping mastic.

9. Is there a way to change the light bulb to the left of the A/C on master switch? I have manual climate control. The recirculate button lights up yellow when pushed to the left, the AC bulb is always off.

That should be enough for now, lol
1: my 1994 works, but the contacts are kinda funny. They only work with certain devices, it's not very difficult to grab an aftermarket DC accessory socket and mount it in the same location. Bc cig lighters and accessory sockets are different. You can also mount it in a different location on the center console and get creative with it. Heck they sell wire in USB and wireless charges these days get crazy.

2: there was a recall for the wires to the seat iirc but the actual heating element goes bad over time. Get a multimeter and test to your hearts content.

3: rear seat heaters. One is for the seat heater the other is for show.

4: 850 and x70's interiors are different. So you'd have to swap the entire dash and doors to make it work. 850's perfectly hold 2 12 oz cans in the doors

5: no idea. But you can always cut and splice anything.

6: so wagons get a clogged pipe/nozzle that is an unbelievable waste of time to diagnose. There is one tank in the front but two motors. One in the rear right of the car behind the wheel well. Motors don't usually go bad but the tubing or nozzle in the hatch does. In my opinion not worth fixing.

7: no idea take it apart and look.

8: I'm missing mine as well let me know if you find one under $20 bc I need one too. Hahaha

9: yes, you have to pop out the mcc and replace the bulb inside the control unit. Some disassembly required.

Author, Chef, and Shade Tree Mechanic

1995 Volvo 850, Non-Turbo, VVIS, LH FI, Green, 215,000 miles. B5254FS engine. Herman. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84393

1996 Volvo 850, died at 280,000

Founder of: CookingForChemo.Org

erikv11
Year and Model: 850, S/V70, 06 S60R
United States of America
erikv11

Post by erikv11 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:01 am

1. I have several USB adapters and they all work in all my Volvos. It is hit and miss on construction but a big source of problem is crud accumulating in the socket, and blocking connection when you plug it in

2. Look for a post (or two) by Ozark Lee that explain very clearly and in great detail how to test, but usually this means the heating element in the seat has gone bad.

3. Pass, not sure

4. Unsure on the map pocket but very unlikely. Yes there is a knee bolster on 850 cars.

5. Absolutely, this has been done many times.

6. A common one is the tubing disconnects or clogs right at the nozzle in the rear. This is easy to investigate if you just pull the trim off and look for the tubing coming in on the passenger side, I really like to keep these working as rear windows get pretty dirty where I drive.

7. Yes, plain as day right there under the driver's dash, same pinouts.

8. Search this forum this has been discussed several times. Most common solutions are (1) electrical tape and (2) go to an auto glass shop they have a thicker, generic tape/trim they use, they can cut you a piece. Less common you can buy this piece from Volvo but it may be the windshield needs to be out to install it correctly, I don't remember. Another search button question.

9. I have never owned an MCC car but short answer is likely no or not without difficulty. These bulbs tend to be a real hassle, the climate control bulbs are mostly soldered in.

'95 854 T5-R, Motronic 4.4, 185k
'96 855 NA, 140k
'98 S70 NA, 210k (living out west)
'98 V70, T5 tune-injectors-turbo, LPT engine, 280k
'06 S60 R, 160k
gone: '96 NA 850 210k, '98 NA V70 182k

Richard_TD
Year and Model: 855 2.5 20V 1996
Great Britain
Richard_TD

Post by Richard_TD » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:22 am

The switch blank is for the transmission mode switch on RHD cars.

1996 855 GLT 2.5 20V

SonicAdventure
Year and Model: 1996 850 wagon
United States of America
SonicAdventure

Post by SonicAdventure » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:42 am

Richard_TD wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:22 am
The switch blank is for the transmission mode switch on RHD cars.

Wow, that is pretty interesting. It’s also interesting that there are only two window switches on that car; what model is it? Is it an 850 coupe with fixed rear windows? Or are the back windows manual?

Plus I love that blue cloth interior.
These users thanked the author SonicAdventure for the post:
Richard_TD

Richard_TD
Year and Model: 855 2.5 20V 1996
Great Britain
Richard_TD

Post by Richard_TD » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:31 pm

It's a 1996 GLT model. It's actually quite well specced- with front foglights, traction control, sunroof, cruise control on the diesel (which this one is), air con, trip computer, 8 speaker Premium Sound System, half-leather seats, Columba wheels but manual windows in the back. The model below it gets four electric windows.

This brochure (it says US but it's definitely UK) shows what you got with the various trim levels. http://www.volvotips.com/brochures/850/ ... 0R-AWD.pdf

1996 855 GLT 2.5 20V