IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2018 V90 - Electronic modules and thunderstorms

Discussion on the exciting new 2017 Volvo cars built on the SPA platform.
GilbertR
Year and Model: 2018 V90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
GilbertR

2018 V90 - Electronic modules and thunderstorms

Post by GilbertR » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 am

Our 2018 V90 purchased in 2017 for its beautiful styling has shown some weakness on the electronics side: need to reboot or upgrade the main software a number of times. What we experienced is hard to believe: in one year interval , the driver side window rolled down by itself under thunderstorm conditions (no direct lightning strike)
No consequence the first time but the recent down pour in Wash. DC got the car drenched inside and within 24 hrs impossible to move it out of our driveway.
Has any body experienced such an occurrence? Hard to believe, but guaranteed truthful. Now we are in a fight with Volvo re warranty.
I heard from my service manager that it happened on an XC90.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: Electronic modules and thunderstorms

Post by matthew1 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:40 am

Sorry to hear of this. That's terrible.

Please post photos, let me know if you need help doing that. The more the better.

Photos provide a good deal of legitimacy.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:47 am

These newest vehicles are so complicated on the software/electronics side they practically need a full blown event logger (along the lines of what is built into modern desktop computer operating systems). So that techs can go back and see what exactly is triggering the window down. Otherwise it's sounds like a pretty wild west guessing game trying to figure out something like 'why a window is rolling down on its own while the vehicle is parked'. Presently as far as I know only the engine control module has such functionality, and only stores engine management snapshot data when a DTC is triggered. This is probably appropriate for engine management. But for the rest of vehicle/body control systems an event logger that saves record of every little button pushed/autonomous action (such as a light sensor triggering main beams on, or a door module/software/remote trigger of a window down command) would take the guessing game out of tracing freak/isolated problems such as this. I don't envy the tech at whatever dealership you go who is trying to figure this out. And the vehicle may well end up being claimed as a total loss (insurance) before it's all done. Over something, at heart, is likely rooted in a relatively inexpensive part/fix or minor software patch - but if the root cause is effectively untraceable, and thus potentially unfixable because the software systems aren't adequately complex to track and trace unintended events, the vehicle could effectively be lost.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:17 am

I had that happen once on a 2017 XC90. I left the window cracked about an inch and the rain dropped on window switches and then that window plus another rolled down. I dried the interior with towels and dried off the doors around the switches and went in the house and looked out and they all had rolled down. I disconnected the battery and put fans blowing into the car through open doors and dried it and never had another problem. I have wetted a lot of doors and window controls by leaving windows cracked and a storm sneaks in on me. On non-networked ones it only damaged switches, usually fixed with contact cleaner and air blower nozzle.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:07 pm

Follow up from Gilbert via email:

Volvo Cars NJ HQ never acknowledged that window glass motor controllers could be activated by stray currents or other RF in thunderstorm conditions. Just said external factors are not their responsibility and I should talk to my insurance company. Talk about [passing the buck. The car floor had to be stripped and carpeting put to dry, the modules were not affected just corrosion on the connectors . Don Beyers Volvo made the right decision to splice the wires at the connectors. Might be useful next time around. Passed the $ 1 000 deductible State Farm paid a bit less than that to cover what was essentially labor. We got the car back after a month, looking good as always and as if nothing happened , except that we start worrying as soon as we hear thunder. I will contact the VA AG to put the case in the record. The question is whether we should we keep the car or not.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Re: 2018 V90 - Electronic modules and thunderstorms

Post by June » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:03 pm

You need to get a security camera pointed at that car so the window can be proven to be at fault. Without video proof it would take a rash of the same thing happening before a company will take notice.

Here in Florida where it floods, unless a photo of the car actually in 1/3 or deeper in water the insurance company won't total it. And 1/3 deep in salt water rots out a car quick. So photographic proof is indisputable. June

My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned