IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

T6 Drive-E 2.0 turbo timing belt swap

A forum for Volvo's new, fantastic XC90! XC90 T5, T6, T8... all the new XC90 trim levels for this Volvo built on Volvo's Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) that also is the platform for the S60, XC60, V60, V60 Cross Country, Polestar 1, S90, V90 and V90 Cross Country.
soundquest
Year and Model: v70 2005
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
soundquest

T6 Drive-E 2.0 turbo timing belt swap

Post by soundquest » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Wondering if anyone has done the timing belt swap on their Drive-E 2.0 engine yet. Mine is coming up shortly (I know, we put a lot of miles on this thing); due at 120K

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: T6 Drive-E 2.0 turbo timing belt swap

Post by jimmy57 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Actually it is a 150K mile belt and serpentine belt change. That engine has several things done that would lessen stress compared to any previous engine. One being the humongous harmonic balancer and the crank gear driving cam belt is 1 mm oval. The faint ovality counters the tight-loose cycling from power stroke followed by crank slowing from the next compression stroke on the next cylinder in order. Back to the question: Volvo has a special tool that fits into the three holes in each cam hub to lock cams so they don't move and fight you when changing belt. There is a universal tool available for all DOHC timing belt engines that goes between gears and pushes outward to lock them for the same reason. There are marks but if you use the tool and some white-out or other marker paint then you don't even need to worry as you will lock gears, mark crank gear and the cam gears, remove belt and then put it back on and tension it. Remove lock and then turn engine twice and check and retension if needed. You will be needing a jack and block of wood as the engine mount is in the middle of belt and has to be removed. Honda and others did (do) that same motor mount in the middle deal. The timing belt comes as a kit with tensioner and idler assy. The serpentine belt tensioner is supposed to be changed too.

OH, you also need the diamond dust crank to balancer washer as Volvo says it is to be replaced if balancer is removed. I'm not sure if it is in T belt kit. That washer assures the balancer doesn't slip back and forth and loosen fasteners since it is a heaver second motion dampener.

soundquest
Year and Model: v70 2005
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
soundquest

Re: T6 Drive-E 2.0 turbo timing belt swap

Post by soundquest » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:20 pm

Great reply. Thank you! I'm liking the 150K t-belt change interval. You must be a Volvo Tech no?