IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud from Expansion?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the third generation Volvo V70 wagon and XC70 crossover, and second generation S80. Are you an owner? Prospective owner? Get in here and join us! Start a new topic or comment on an existing thread.

2008-2016 V70
2008-2016 XC70
2007-2016 S80

Jhook
Year and Model: 2008 S80 T6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Jhook

Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud from Expansion?

Post by Jhook » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:45 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new user here and wanted to confirm my fears if possible. I was working on my 2008 S80 T6 AWD 105k, and when removing the skid plate for an oil change I noticed a broken stud and spacer laying on the plate. Judging from the length of the spacer it appears this is indeed a manifold x head stud and not a turbo mounting stud correct? I could only see two of the turbo mounting studs and the spacers looked much shorter. With the length of stud that broke off, and the manner in which it broke (pointed, and in the wrong direction to be able to start a pilot hole easily with LH drill bits) this would most likely call for a need to drop the subframe to repair correctly, or is there enough room to attack it without pulling the head or dropping the engine? I'm very mechanical, however, I'm much more used to diesel trucks or land rovers with a bit more room to work and I also do not have access to a lift. The gasket is not currently leaking, but I imagine if one stud broke there is a chance for another to as well now with less clamping force and then it would certainly start to leak and need to be addressed, otherwise I would leave it alone. Thanks for any insight or suggestions if this is common!
volvo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

projectsmorol
Year and Model: 2008 c30
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
projectsmorol

Re: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud from Expansion?

Post by projectsmorol » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:17 am

Looks like the stud for the manifold heat shield. Not the manifold itself. There was probably galling and it snapped when being removed.

2008 C30:
Darton wet sleeves|CP Carrillo pistons&rods|Upgraded injectors|K16 turbo|3"downpipe|ELEVATE:cat back|custom intake|turbo intercooler hard pipe|lower motor mount|turbo blanket|intake plenum|downpipe wrap|dual bypass valve|lowering springs|rear camber arms|do88 FMIC|Porche 70mm TB|BMC air filter|MAF upgrade|Turbosmart waste gate|meth injection|IPD brake lines|NGK iridium 1 step colder|APR head studs|AEM AFR/Boost Gauge|Hilton Tuning