IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics My Swedish Parts ad - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Replace HDD with SSD in late 2015 iMac

Non-car talk is a place to talk about topics that are not related to cars or MVS.
Forum rules
Disallowed: religion, race, politics, war and disrespect toward others.
Allowed: history, computers, sports, movies, careers, art, music, relationships and the ten million other topics in our lives. Act like the adult you are. Enjoy.
jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Replace HDD with SSD in late 2015 iMac

Post by jimmy57 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:39 pm

A friend has this iMac late 2015 21.5 inch display that has a wonky hard drive and they purchased a new one. It would not do anything and the Apple genius bar (hehehehehehehehe, can't help it, I giggle every time I say or type that) ran diags and watever and said new HDD and motherboard. I got it to start and after many attempts go to the utilities and wiped it as they were not wanting it to get loose with all the stuff on the hard drive. Now that it is cleaned it does work but has significant hard drive segments not accessible. OK, the question: has anyone installed SSD in one of these? apparently 2012 brought changes that make it more difficult. #2. Does the replacement drive have to be the same size? I actually don't need 1 TB and would probably go with a 500 GB drive.