IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics My Swedish Parts ad - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Mystery engine issue

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Worrad
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5M
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Worrad

Mystery engine issue

Post by Worrad » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:42 am

Greetings all. It's been quite some time since I've needed to ask for help here - the old girl (2001 V70 T5M, 214 K) has been pretty good to me for a while now. Here's the recent issue(s): I had been feeling some very subtle hesitations or surging when "loafing" along - fairly low revs. Hard acceleration/deacceleration was fine. I decided to run a can of injector cleaner (Techron) through, per instructions. Ran the tank down to near empty before refilling and the issue seemed to improve as the tank gradually emptied. After tank refill, and after the car sat for several days while a suspension issue was resolved, I experienced severe engine malfunction: surging, inability to accelerate, high idle (1500 RPM, I think). Triangular warning light on dash w/ message to the effect of "engine service required" Multiple roadside shut downs and restarts (initially unsuccessful) and the car began to run normally. Warning light and engine service message remained until next shut down, then both disappeared - message did not display when searched for either. Car ran normally through the day's errands - multiple stops/restarts. Same symptoms the next day, and a couple of times since. A couple of days w/ no symptoms. I haven't been able to get the codes (if any) pulled yet. Car runs great if symptoms are absent, undrivable if present. Any advice? Anyone with similar experiences? Thanks in advance.

93SCMax
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5 mt
United States of America
93SCMax

Re: Mystery engine issue

Post by 93SCMax » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:51 am

Original MAF? Been cleaned lately? Start here, and also clean the electrical connector with electrical contact cleaner. Disconnect battery 1st.

I had a similar experience a few years back with my 2001 V70 T5. Final solution was replacing the MAF with a used one from the junkyard. Cleaning was only a temporary fix for me. Make sure you get the same PN (Bosch # on side), although some MAF's are interchangeable. Use the battery reconnect procedure to avoid other problems.

I run a can of Techron about every three tanks. I only run premium. The Techron wasn't your issue, and is recommended to avoid injector issues.

Good luck.

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Post by Georgeandkira » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:15 am

Is it turbocharged or not?
Cross the T's and dot the I's first.
Plugs correct? Their age?
Any symptoms of misfiring? This generally throws codes.
Fuel filter age? It could be original. Air filter for that matter.

You have the inferiorly designed, early ETM. People refer to it as the MM (for Magneto Marrelli, I believe). Even if yours was replaced with another old style one at 100K, it's had enough time to fail too. A patch of mylar film (think recording tape) wears out causing erratic behavior. Does your car hunt (near rhythmic increases and decreases in RPMs)?

Fuel pressure consistent? I've read our fuel pumps are hearty beasts but a 20 year old part is always suspect.
There is a regulator on the fuel rail which may statistically be suspect too.

Worrad
United States of America
Worrad

Post by Worrad » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:43 am

Gentlemen: thanks for the replies. Here's hoping MAF cleaning/replacement will suffice - a quick drive to bring it up to operating temp exhibits no "hunting" behavior, cold or warm. ETM service sounds painful, both to the pocket and in terms of downtime. Plugs are correct (from dealer), a bit less then 2 yrs old - ~15 K/yr usage. Probably original fuel filter, pump and regulator - I got the car at ~ 168K. I'll back check these as well as ETM in the records the previous owner provided. Air filter looks good, but it's been a while, so I'll address that.

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Worrad wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:42 am

I decided to run a can of injector cleaner (Techron) through, per instructions. Ran the tank down to near empty before refilling and the issue seemed to improve as the tank gradually emptied. After tank refill, and after the car sat for several days...
The Techron could have been cleaning the injectors along the way and stirred the bottom of the tank. Try changing the fuel filter.

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion

velorider
Year and Model: 2005 S60 T5
United States of America
velorider

Post by velorider » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:22 am

I had a bad maf and the car stalled at idle and drove like crap. I unplugged it to get home. Without the maf the car will use default values. If your is bad a good test is just unplug it. If it runs better you've confirmed it's the maf.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:23 am

Unplugging the MAF is not a good diagnostic for theMAF. Covered in many threads
Plugs are correct (from dealer), a bit less then 2 yrs old - ~15 K/yr usage
If they used standard Volvo plugs 30k will be end of life. Single electrode only for turbo cars.

There are probably codes pending you can read. You are on the tail end of the life of the MMthrottle body. $500 fix, roughly. Nearest Volvo dealer if software is needed is rutland, I think.

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

Worrad
United States of America
Worrad

Post by Worrad » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:11 am

Update: I have ordered a new MAF - it will be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I removed the old one to clean it. Found a loose plastic cover to a circuit board (?!) inside (black rectangular slab), which I snapped back in place - thought "Ah ha!". Upon replacement, experienced the expected initial symptoms, then after several repeats of same, car settled in to essentially normal behavior - still experiencing that subtle surge/hesitation though. Digging into previous owner's records, I found that the original ETM was indeed replaced which sets my mind at ease a bit, but with time and mileage accrued since, is no guarantee of blamelessness. Careful and repeated monitoring has shown no "hunting" behavior, though, so I'm hopeful there. Also while researching the old records, I realized that I'm a bit overdue for timing belt service (!!) so I have an appointment Fri. to rectify same. I will probably have them replace the plugs at the same time, and will get myself a new fuel filter if the new MAF and plugs don't maker her run flawlessly. Thanks for all the replies!

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:04 pm

Worrad wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:11 am
will get myself a new fuel filter if the new MAF and plugs...
You said the Techron showed improvement till it emptied. I would eliminate the fuel first because the new MAF and Plugs could mask the problem if everything is old.

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:22 am

Just coming up on your second timing belt replacement. Some recommend Water pump replacement on that schedule, but if you think it was maintained well with fluid changes you can choose to skip and monitor for weeping instead.

If you think you will run for another 30-50k that’s the more economical choice, but you’re risk aversion may vary from mine

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW