Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2005 V70 Radiator Mount questions, damage after bottom out

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

dadwagonlife
Year and Model: 2005 V70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
dadwagonlife

2005 V70 Radiator Mount questions, damage after bottom out

Post by dadwagonlife » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:31 pm

Hello. This is my first post here. I am thankful for your time and any assistance is very much appreciated.

I bottomed out my 2005 V/70 this past Saturday night. I went into a parking lot and the driveway had very uneven and broken concrete. I was traveling slowly. Less than 5 mph.

I ripped off my debris guard when I tried to get off the driveway in reverse. My radiator now hangs about 3 inches from the ground on the drivers side. It is also leaking from the upper hose area on the passenger side.

The brackets that attach to the radiator on top have no bolts in them anymore. The brackets are however still attached to the frame of the car.

How bad is this? Should I be worried about my AC and intercooler too? Thanks. I believe I must replace the radiator. What else should I check?

Photos here.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ad9Q6pR6TfKxU6EK7

Thanks.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: Radiator Mount questions.

Post by oragex » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:26 pm

These radiators have the habit to crack when the bumper hit a curb (such as in a market parking spot) I guess you'll need a new rad - easier is a used one from junkyard because the genuine ones are long lasting and solid. If memory helps, it has to come out from the bottom - so car high in the airs. Google up on the subject, I think there were talks about how to detach the AC condenser and leave it in place

For the coolant, Volvo has a gallon of concentrate for really not much more than aftermarket Zerex stuff. Just mix with a gallon of distilled water from Walmart pharmacy
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
dadwagonlife

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

reverend
Year and Model: 2006 V70 2.5t
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
reverend

Re: Radiator Mount questions.

Post by reverend » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 pm

The leak might be from the radiator neck cracking, and that's because the radiator dropped.

The reason it's dropped is probably that the big mounting ears for the radiator pack (IC/condenser/radiator) are big and mounted horizontally, so a good curb shove up on the radiator the plastic ears might crack.

The easiest is to pull the bumper cover, remove the radiator fan, then disconnect IC/condenser/radiator hoses and drop them up from below.
You'll likely need to keep the car a good 12" off the ground for this.

If your AC still works and you have no boost issues, then you can separate the pack while it's in the car, pull all the pieces apart from each other and then use bungee cords to hold the condenser and IC up while you drop the radiator down and replace it.

Cheap replacements are everywhere, samesame for IC and condenser if those got damaged too.
These users thanked the author reverend for the post:
dadwagonlife

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: 2005 V70 Radiator Mount questions, damage after bottom out

Post by abscate » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:35 am

Added ref to to title
These users thanked the author abscate for the post:
dadwagonlife