Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Oil Pressure Warning and Light at Idle

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Taskmaster
Year and Model: 2006 XC70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Taskmaster

Oil Pressure Warning and Light at Idle

Post by Taskmaster » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:22 pm

I recently pulled the oil pan on my 06 XC70 and cleaned it/replaced the orings. I also did the PCV box. Upon reassembly I had a misfire on cylinder 4 so I moved around a couple ignition coils and the problem followed so I replaced the problem coil. I did new Volvo plugs while at it and the car runs well. I took it out for about a 40 mile round trip today and all was good. When I got back and went to park the darned oil pressure warning returned only at idle and goes away if I go above idle rpms at all. Could this be caused by the block to pan orings shifting on me a bit during assembly? It took a couple tries to get the pan lined up and it didn't occur to me at the time they may have moved, but now that I have the light/warning back at idle I'm hoping that's it. What do you guys use to hold the orings in place during assembly? Any other suggestions to check?

Taskmaster
United States of America
Taskmaster

Re: Oil Pressure Warning and Light at Idle

Post by Taskmaster » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Should I be using something other than a 5W-30 on an 06 XC70 w/200k+ miles?

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:36 pm

I think 30W tops off at 86F so you might Be too thin in hottest part of summer.

Get an oil pressure gauge on your motor Tom confirm pressure at rpms is ok

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Did you have the issue before the work - and did you change oil viscosity?

If you didn't have it before and the oil type is the same that strongly suggests your oil pan o-rings are not seated correctly. One most likely fell off or got pinched.

What you describe is consistent with the o-rings not seating correctly - regardless of oil.

If the engine is cold, you can try some assembly lube - thickest type. You can also use regular grease or Vaseline - it will mix with the oil and should cause no issues. Some people clean the area real well and use the smallest amount of RTV, but I am not a fan of this as it may peel off and plug an oil galley. Maybe some gasket maker gray - the slightest amount - apply to the engine and the o-ring - let it sit (like contact cement) and then install the o-ring. Follow directions, but this is how the stuff I have would work - like contact cement. You want just the thinnist circle on the block and on the top of the o-ring - that way it will not be exposed one the pan is installed. (I have yet to try this approach as I use assembly lube in this type of situation). Best approach is cold engine, chilled grease, coolest part of the day -- and apply the grease and o-ring last after everything else is ready to go so it sticks best.

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 06 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:10 am

Does your 06 have the metal oil pickup tube?

I know there was an updated tube at some point, but I don’t know what year it was introduced.

I ask this because the metal pickup tubes had a sort of “spaceship” shaped orifice through which they sucked & screened oil. The shape of this happened to trap a good amount of particulates (sludge that had broken free) & would not “release” these upon shutting the engine off. The updated design has more of a bellmouth or trumpet/velocity stack type shape to it. This shaped allows those aforementioned particulates to drop out of the pickup tube & settle back to the floor of the oil pan when you switch off the engine. What I’m getting at here is, if you have the metal pickup tube & didn’t remove/clean it (and the oil pan) thoroughly, it may still be trapping enough particulates in it that you only get a short distance down the road & the particulates clog/partially clog the screen & your oil psi message gets populated. I can expound if need be, but I hope that made sense. I know, this sorta thing can really pucker a guy up.

Like the other poster(s) asked, did you have the “no oil psi” message prior to oil pan removal? Generally, oil pan removal is often predated & prompted by this message, thus the questions if you had received it prior to oil pan removal.

Be a good idea like Abscate said to get a manual oil PSI gauge on there.

2001 V70XC 135k
2004 V70 AWD 130k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 150k

Taskmaster
United States of America
Taskmaster

Post by Taskmaster » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:37 pm

I did have an oil pressure warning prior to doing the work, but it was coming on pretty quickly, like by the end of my street and wouldn't go away no matter the RPM. I got the warning now flickering at idle after a 40 mile round trip. I haven't changed oil weight and was using 5w-30 before. I didn't pull the pickup tube while in there, though I'm fairly certain it was a metal pickup. I will pull that when I go in there next time. Before cleaning the pan and changing the PCV I was getting a positive pressure out of the oil fill tube, but now the 'glove test' shows I'm pulling a negative pressure.

Where do you guys connect a gauge to read pressure? Any way to leave it installed and put a gauge in the cabin? Anyone got a link to what they ordered to use? Thanks for all the info guys.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:41 pm

More background information. Did you find any signs of metal sparkle in the oil change and/or pan cleaning? Looking for signs of bearing damage, which would cause low pressure. How long did you drive the vehicle with low oil pressure? What was the condition of the o-rings that you replaced?

Did you clean out the square tube that drains the PCV firebox into the oil pan? If not do this when you drop the pan again.

If all looked well when you changed the oil/dropped the pan and the original o-rings were bad I would focus on the o-ring not sitting correctly or dropping during the install.

Just be careful. Some have lost their engines due to o-ring failure - lack of oil pressure.

Taskmaster
United States of America
Taskmaster

Post by Taskmaster » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:18 pm

I've noticed no sparkle or chips in the oil during changes or when cleaning everything out. The car was right near home when the warning appeared, within 100 yards and was not driven again with the warning. I had it towed to my sister's house and used her garage.
I did thoroughly clean the pan and the PCV passages but I'll double check that rectangular area when I have the pan off again. The pan orings were somewhat stiff when I pulled the pan and one was odd shaped. It was like 3/4 of an 'O' with a crescent shape in the other 1/4 (think Pac-man with a rounded mouth).

- Pete -
Year and Model: 01, 04, 04, 06 V70's
United States of America
- Pete -

Post by - Pete - » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:10 pm

This is what the old style oil pickup tubes looked like --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/54Y026-ENGINE- ... Sw6AlbMcT6

This is what the updated pickup tube looks like --> https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... en-9186116

It may be hard to tell, but the entrance to the old style tube has a lip that protrudes inward, or, towards the screen. I know from experience that this lip truly does prevent at the very least, some of the junk from being voided from the bottom of the 'spaceship' & then falling back to the floor of the oil pan.

I had the same experience as you not so long ago & opted to replace the pickup tube while I had the pan off for cleaning & rod bearing inspection. HERE is my thread, lots of words, but may be of some help to you.

Like SuperHerman was saying, you're probably going to have to pull the oil pan once again. Were it me, I'd get the updated pickup tube and entire reseal kit (I order extras of certain seals, dipstick tube seals, oil cooler seals etc, stuff you know you'll likely need down the road). Not only is it much easier to do future oil pan removals (never would be nice), but getting the oil pan back up is also much easier with the updated pickup tube. If you have the pan off again, I'd be darn sure to check the #5 rod bearing (like I was advised to do), both for lateral/axial play & also remove rod cap for visual inspection. Be sure you have marked the rod cap so that it goes back on EXACTLY as it came off. You'll need 12pt sockets for the rod bolts.

I'd be super careful with starting that engine & obviously super aware of any abnormal noises.

Oil PSI port is on the front of the block, literally almost dead center on the "front", or radiator side of the block. Since it sits horizontal in the engine bay, the actual "front" of the engine is on the passenger side, that's the true front of the motor. I think it's like a 19 or 22mm for removal. It's a very tight area, would be easiest to access by removing your radiator fan (2 screws top left & right & it just lifts out from the top).

Edit: I knew I had taken pictures of the inlet to the pickup tube on mine, just crazy to me how such a small detail like the inward protruding lip could make that much of a difference on a sludge impacted engine. And equally as crazy how omitting that same oversight/tiny detail frees the pickup tube of so much junk.

IMG_3904.JPG
IMG_3906.JPG

2001 V70XC 135k
2004 V70 AWD 130k
2004 XC70 278k
2006 XC70 150k

Taskmaster
United States of America
Taskmaster

Post by Taskmaster » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:48 pm

Any reason to steer clear of a used one of those updated pickup tubes? I see one for about half the new price.