Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Intermittent AC 2012 Volvo S60

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 and XC60.
pshdars
Year and Model: 2012 Volvo S60 2.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
pshdars

Intermittent AC 2012 Volvo S60

Post by pshdars » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:14 pm

Hello Everyone!

My AC has been working intermittently for the past year; and believe me that is very uncomfortable in Texas! It will blow ice cold, then blow hot. Really hot. Eventually it will come on again. I've taken it to four different places for diagnosis and no one can tell me what is wrong. It doesn't work as well on the super hot days (above 90 degrees) and there are a lot of those where I am. However it is pretty consistent when I drive on the highway at higher speeds. When I am at lower RPMs it goes out more often, but always comes back on. Someone suggested a freeze sensor but that part takes 4-6 weeks to get in which suggests to me that it is not a common problem.

There are no coolant leaks or electrical problems.

Has anyone here ever had this problem? If so, how did you correct it?

Susan

jlh3rd
Year and Model: 2012 s60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jlh3rd

Re: Intermittent AC 2012 Volvo S60

Post by jlh3rd » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:38 pm

hi susan,
well, i'd never take my car to any of those places that says they couldn't diagnose your a/c, unless they were not set up for a/c diagnosis, that's for sure.
The only way to properly diagnose your a/c is to start with reading high/ low side pressures on the a/c gauges that a shop ( or someone like me) has. That starts the troubleshooting process. Trying to do it any other way on the internet can cost you parts and money and still not be fixed.
So, i'd need mileage, has anyone done any work, and the pressure readings ,both engine running and not. That would be a start.
There's got to be a legitimate repair shop around , is there not a volvo dealership as a last resort? Or do you live in a small town.