IPD sale Volvo Parts
XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics My Swedish Parts ad - genuine Volvo parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Help with orphan electrical connector

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Frohike999
Year and Model: 2004 XC70
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Frohike999

Help with orphan electrical connector

Post by Frohike999 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:41 pm

I was wrapping up changing the hoses and radiator out of my 04 XC70 today and while checking that everything was plugged in and where it should be, I found one connector that I don't remember unhooking and can't find what it would plug into. This is on the drivers side of the engine and comes out of a wiring harness going along the front of the engine. Along with the radiator I had removed the charger inlet pipe and replaced the coolant supply hose for the turbo, but I don't see anything around there this could plug into, and honestly I'm not sure it would reach that far anyway.

I've included pics but I'm lousy at taking them, so hopefully the description helps a bit. The connector has 3 wires, red black and blue. In the last pic I posted it comes from a wiring harness where the red line is and comes out where the red circle is. It's identical to the plug that's plugged into the top drivers side of the engine already.

Anyway I don't really want to button anything else up before I know what I'll have to tear apart to get to this. If anyone has any insight I'd really appreciate it.
engine.jpg
connector2.jpg
connector2.jpg (78.75 KiB) Viewed 65 times
connector1.jpg
connector1.jpg (63.25 KiB) Viewed 65 times

highmiles
Year and Model: 2003 S60
United States of America
highmiles

Re: Help with orphan electrical connector

Post by highmiles » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:05 pm

I think if you look you might find one on the other side as well, with the same color wires. I am basing this off work on my 03 S60 that has two similar 3 prong connectors doing nothing. My guess on my car is that the are for the optional head light wipers. If the connector is fairly dirty inside it might be an indicator that it has never been plugged in.

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:01 pm

Intake camshaft or crankshaft sensor? Latter one is barely visible. Here's this plug hanging in air:

Crankshaft sensor bracket is that broken plastic thing sitting right on top of the flywheel:

2005 XC70 250k
2016 XC60 40k

Frohike999
United States of America
Frohike999

Post by Frohike999 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:12 am

Thanks for the reply guys! After looking into it, the camshaft position sensor is the part I was referring to that has the same type of plug already plugged in, so yep, it's exactly the same as that, but that one's good.

I'll have to look into the headlight wiper motor, I hadn't thought of that since this wire definitely couldn't reach that far forward, but maybe there's a wire up front I just am not seeing yet that comes back toward this. The wipers did work before and this connector's clean which means I'm sure this is something I did. If it were a minor thing like the wipers I'd feel fine just leaving it, but I guess I'd rather know what I'm leaving unpowered.

I'll keep looking today and come back with the results. Thanks for the replies!

Frohike999
United States of America
Frohike999

Post by Frohike999 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:57 am

Ok I went back and took another look and vtl was exactly right, it was the crank sensor (I was confusing it with the cam sensor at the top of the engine). I've got it all put back together now. Thank you again!