Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Possible connector issue

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

Mike Langlois
Year and Model: 2002 V70 & V70 XC
United States of America
Mike Langlois

Possible connector issue

Post by Mike Langlois » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:56 am

Greetings,
I am having a throttle issue with a 2002 V70 2.4T. The car starts perfect and idles, but responds to throttle input intermittently (at best). Idle is a little irregular, but seems to calm down when the transmission is engaged. Everything else seems to work fine. Codes from Vida include:
ECM-913C Throttle Valve faulty signal
ECM-3503 Miss fire- emission agitation
ECM-3513 Miss fire #1
ECM-903C Throttle Position Sensor- faulty signal
ECM-9150 Throttle Unit potentiometer #1- faulty signal
ECM-9160 Throttle Unit potentiometer #2 faulty signal
ECM-91A7 Throttle Valve - faulty signal

The car has had a basic tune up including plugs, oil and filter, belts, coolant and ATF flush. The factory wiring harness plug, that attaches to the Throttle Valve (I hope I have that name right; bolted to bottom of intake manifold), had disintegrated and was attached with wire and glue. I suspect this is my problem. The throttle valve was changed out with a know good part and the gas pedal was also exchanged, since one was available. The problem persists. I have another V70 wiring harness with a good throttle valve plug on it. Thinking about attaching the good plug to the existing harness. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I will replace the #1 coil and see if that fixes the miss fire.
Mike

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Re: Possible connector issue

Post by Georgeandkira » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:11 am

Replacing a melted connector of any kind in any application is the right thing to do.
Out of curiosity, how many wires are in the ETM's connector?
Stagger the location of your splices will avoid making a large, unwieldy lump which may not fit.

To get started I suggest relocating coil #1 to position #5 and vice versa. See if the misfire code travels to cylinder #5.

As usual, the questions for you are:
How many miles are on this car?
Do you work on cars yourself?
Are you certain the correct plugs were installed?

Cheers

Mike Langlois
United States of America
Mike Langlois

Post by Mike Langlois » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:29 am

Great idea on staggering the splices (and I am part electrician); there are 6 conductors. 170,000 miles it is a rescue Volvo. I Installed Volvo or the OEM equivalent spark plugs my self and am a Mechanic of sorts by trade. I tend towards OEM or stock parts, because they seem to save $$ in the long run. Thanks for the advice.

Mike Langlois
United States of America
Mike Langlois

Post by Mike Langlois » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:46 am

Greetings All,
Here is what I found:
Someone had attempted the connector replacement for the Throttle valve (My Mind is blocking the proper name): with crimped connectors
Bad coil at #1

Repaired the connector with the proper connector, soldered in and replaced the coil. I also added a new fuel filter. Started and ran so well, I washed it, while it warmed up. Then it died and did not want to run. Since it was near empty and the gas was old, I added 5 gallons of fresh fuel and let it sit over night, it started and ran fine. I ran Vida and came up with :
CCM-0021 Air Quality sensor Internal fault
UEM-0004 Siren communication fault
UEM- Sun roof Communication fault.
I am going to run it and the run Vida again; any thoughts would be appreciated. Can anyone tell me where the air quality sensor is?

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:16 am

The Bosch ETA on that car is VERY sensitive to connections. Volvo techs do not unplug them when doing work on cars, they unbolt throttle and set it aside due to the incidence of comebacks for throttle codes and reduced engine performance message. There is a throttle pigtail sold by Volvo and they did make an overlay harness with the ECM connections made on it but that may not b available any longer.
These users thanked the author jimmy57 for the post:
Mike Langlois

Mike Langlois
United States of America
Mike Langlois

Post by Mike Langlois » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:19 pm

I'll check with Volvo for the pig tail. It ran fine, let it sit and does not want to run again, codes:
ECM-913C throttle valve faulty signal
-919A ECM faulty signal
-9106 Throttle unit potentiometer 2 faulty signal
-917B Throttle Valve faulty signal

I have a feeling the ECM or the other module has been removed and not re-seated properly. I have the tool, just need to search out how to use it and re-seat things.