Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

VIN's with Magneti Marelli ETM's? Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

93SCMax
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5 mt
United States of America
93SCMax

VIN's with Magneti Marelli ETM's?

Post by 93SCMax » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 am

I'm trying to determine whether my 2001 V70 T5 with manual transmission was originally shipped with the Magneti Marelli ETM. I'm the original owner, have lived at the same address since I bought the car new in 2001, and I never received any ETM recall notice from Volvo. I have received multiple recall notices from Volvo for the fuel pump issue. Having read thru the ETM forum multiple times, it appears that the suspect ETM seems to be based on model year, 2001 being in the recall. I would like to know if there is an original parts generator that will tell me what ETM I have based on my VIN. This would be easier for me then climbing under the car in 90+ degree heat to try to find the white Magneti Marelli tag on the ETM.

I've never had a throttle body issue, so I'm wondering if I'm lucky, whether my car was shipped with the upgraded ETM or whether having the manual transmission plays into the lack of a failure. By all rights, if I have the MM ETM, it should have given me problems long ago.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by 93SCMax on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Georgeandkira
Year and Model: 2007 V70 base
United States of America
Georgeandkira

Re: VIN's with Magnetti Marelli ETM's?

Post by Georgeandkira » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:59 am

How many miles are on your '01? I always ask this.
If I remember correctly, the occasions of engine stoppage whilst driving caught the attention of the feds (NTSB?) and Volvo extended the warranty to 10 years and 200K.

A coworker mentioned the severe hunting his car was exhibiting and that he had it replaced at his expense. I printed him the claim form I found online and because he fell within the extended warranty he got a full refund. He was grateful.
As I recall Volvo didn't host the site where I got the forms. I believe the government did but that was a while ago.

I sold my '02 (bought from the original owner-with dealer records-at 70K) at 198K. Neither of us had any ETM issue.
I remember seeing the MM logo molded into the plastic part of my ETM body but mine was a non-turbo.

Could a small mirror help with reading yours?

I've seen one picture of the mylar strip which had shed it's oxide. The wear was indeed concentrated.
Having a manual transmission might spread the wear out a bit. I do not know.

Could a dealership run your VIN and learn which ETM you got? I don't know.
People on these boards "always say" that the dealerships can only supply a customer with a new duplicate ETM (meaning the old, inferior design) so having XeMODeX rebuild yours when the time comes with improved materials is the way to go. Plus, there'd be no need to program anything as your is already married to your car.
These users thanked the author Georgeandkira for the post:
93SCMax

93SCMax
United States of America
93SCMax

Re: VIN's with Magneti Marelli ETM's?

Post by 93SCMax » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:11 am

Thanks for your reply.

Car has just over 151k.

Saw the extended warranty was past due for my car (time wise), that's why I'm trying to determine whether I even have the MM ETM. I should have received a recall notice if I do have that ETM. Something doesn't add up.

Glad to hear your's ran without failure. I may be in the same lucky boat.

I could ask the local dealer, but felt asking here 1st was better...have not been impressed with the Hendricks Volvo dealership here in Charleston. They have done a few things over the years that make's it hard for me to patronize them.

I'll try an extension mirror or wait for cooler weather to crawl under her. I was just hoping to get a fast answer with the VIN since this topic has now caught my interest, and I want to get a plan in place if she starts acting up.
Last edited by 93SCMax on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

93SCMax
United States of America
93SCMax

Re: VIN's with Magneti Marelli ETM's?  Topic is solved

Post by 93SCMax » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Topic closed. I was able to get to an angle to where I could see the Magneti Marelli markings on the ETM. I guess my lack of a failure in 19 years is do to good living :D . I'll plan according for the inevitable.
Last edited by 93SCMax on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Re: VIN's with Magneti Marelli ETM's?

Post by abscate » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:09 pm

We get a failure bias here on this and any other part failure

My first MM ETM failed at 137k

My parts car MM had 210K on it and is now living on another car.

I’ll guess the MTTF is between 150-200k

Your 2001,does have the MM ERM, 2002 was transition year to Bosch for non turbos, MM for turbos, then Bosch for P2s

The throttle bodies were not recalled, a new software was loaded which was more forgiving of mismatched throttle positon reports, and the warranty extended.

Empty Nester
A Captain in a Sea of Estrogen
1999-V70-T5M56 2005-V70-M56 1999-S70 VW T4 BMW