Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Air flow filter component

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on S40 and V40. In this forum you'll find S40/V40-specific owners asking and answering questions on maintenance, ownership, repairs, tutorials and almost every do-it-yourself thing you can do to save money owning these Volvos.

1996 - 2004 S40
1996 - 2004 V40

rjr1031
Year and Model: 2001 G40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
rjr1031

Air flow filter component

Post by rjr1031 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:47 pm

I have a 2001 volvo s40 that I bought 15 months ago. The car would run great at times and sounded like a well oiled singer sewing machine but at other times had a hesitation and would sometimes quit but would start right back up about approx 3 months ago it quit while I was leaving work and didn't want to start again. It was acting like it was flooded. Anyway to make a long story short it started getting hot and losing coolant so I thought oh boy another head gasket blown so I kept check on coolant and didn't let it run out or drive it when it was hot . About two weeks ago i took it back to the man i bought it from because he has a mechanic garage business and he ran a compression check and said the head gasket was blown but he thought he could change the spark plugs and it would help it didnt. Honestly i doubt he did anything to the car except cash my check for 140.00 for saying he changed out the spark plugs. A trust worthy mechanic would return old spark plugs with the car. I also ask him to check for any tampering because i had all four tire valve stem caps stolen and a nice flat tire due to a screw being put into my car. Anyways i bought bars stop leak and put it in the coolant system and checked my air filter area and found a wad of duct tape shoved up under my air filter and removed it then my overheating problem was solved. But another ugly problem showed it's ugly head when the car stopped pulling while in gear. I do not know how long the duct tape had been in the air filter component but recently some of the cars where I work have been vandalized. Just curious as what kind of damage this can cause to a vechicle because my car is no longer running and is a complete loss.

rjr1031
Year and Model: 2001 G40
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
rjr1031

Re: Air flow filter component

Post by rjr1031 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:03 am

This is my answer. The duct tape was put into the air flow system to cause mechanical failure. The air flow system control the vacuum system and control how the car burns emissions in addition to causing pump failure also due to internal components that require fluid to operate at full capacity. To sum it up air flow blockage fouls out the entire engine.