IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Oil filter removal XC60 T6

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials for the groundbreaking new Volvo S60 2011+, V60 and XC60.
Olonniser
Year and Model: 2013 Volvo XC60
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Olonniser

Oil filter removal XC60 T6

Post by Olonniser » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:01 am

Last time I changed the oil in my wife's 2013 XC60 T6 R-Design was my first for the engine, model, and even my first change on a Volvo. Some things much different than I'm used to, some the same (I almost always drop the drain plug ). I did the requisite research (I thought) to figure out sizes and any recommendations from the SS community.

Now, when it came time to actually do the oil change, everything went swimmingly except for the filter change. There are a few walk-throughs on here and videos on youtube that I reviewed when I had difficulty but it appears that they all applied to the 2010 T6 non-RD and for some reason the engine compartment layout I was presented with on ours was...tighter. Moving the headlight and moving the reservoir did not produce enough room to remove the oil filter housing cap from beneath the myriad hoses. I believe the R-Design attribute is only a tune difference, so maybe something changed in compartment layout design between the earlier T6's and our 2013? Anyways, last time I made due by pushing the cap far enough out of the way to the side to get the old filter out and the new one in, but I don't want to have to do that again due to the risk of pushing debris into the housing on accident.

TL;DR: Does anybody have recommendations for/a secret to removing the cap on the oil filter housing from the engine compartment for an XC60 T6 RD that has been confirmed on a 2013 or later?