Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

S60 - Exhaust and front muffler

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo's stylish, distinctive "P2" platform cars.

2001 - 2007 V70
2004 - 2007 V70 R
2001 - 2007 XC-70
2001 - 2009 S60
2003 - 2007 S60 R

ionianp2
Year and Model: 2004 Volvo s60
United States of America
ionianp2

S60 - Exhaust and front muffler

Post by ionianp2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:24 am

Hi Everyone!

New here, but been following the forum for some time. I have an ‘04 S60 NA 5spd, which I intend to keep running for a long time. Recently, I’ve noticed that I have some exhaust leaks that are getting progressively worse.

A quick diagnosis with the shop vac and soapy water, shows the front muffler flange and flex pipe. My front muffler is on its way out so I figured, I'd replace it as well. There was an excellent video on youtube, I believe by Oragex, detailing how to replace the flex pipe how to keep the existing cat converter.

I did some research on the front muffler and there seem to be two options:

- Go with the Genuine Volvo, the more expensive route
- Starla, which is listed as an OEM, though not sure of its accuracy and there aren’t enough reviews to draw a conclusion.

Has anyone here had positive experience with the Starla? It’s less than the price on FCP euro. I wouldn’t mind going with the Genuine option if the Starla will only last a couple of years.

As for the flex pipe, would one overlapping the exhaust flanges be a better option than one going inside the exhaust flanges?

I'm a fairly good DIY-er, but never welded before.

Your insights are much appreciated.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Re: S60 - Exhaust and front muffler

Post by matthew1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Welcome to MVS, ionianp2. What serendipity: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/starl ... views.html

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:47 pm

Perhaps see this discussion for OE replacement parts viewtopic.php?t=86230

Look first for small holes in the cat itself, where the bracket is welded to the cat

I bought a $250 downflex and cat for my 2003 NA off Ebay. These came prewelded but as I expected, they fitted poorly both at the bracket and at the manifold flange - this causes the flex to stay under stress and possibly start leaking at some point. I was lucky, my cat isn't throwing a Check Engine light - cheapo ones will do

My take on this, I would either try finding a complete used genuine exhaust from a Florida car, or I would get a custom exhaust done by a place with good reputation. I guess they could do it for around $1000 or so (just a guess). Existing aftermarket parts can be a gamble - there are a few brands like Walker that may not give good results for this specific car.
These users thanked the author oragex for the post:
ionianp2

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

ionianp2
United States of America
ionianp2

Post by ionianp2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Thank you folks.

Oragex the video you made about welding a new flex pip to your OEM cat, was that after trying the ebay downflex? In the end I wasn't quite clear on which flex you bought. I believe it was an 8" 2" ID with interlock, correct?

Katten
Year and Model: S80 2002
Has thanked: 0
Sweden
Katten

Post by Katten » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:59 pm

On my 2.4 NA Volvo S80 i removed the resonator completely. Im not sure but I think that is what you mean with front muffler? :) is does not sound horrible in any way. I clamped a piece of pipe in its place.

MDK
Year and Model: 1998 xc 70
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
MDK

Post by MDK » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:14 am

Rockauto... 225$ ..2004 non turbo S60
Attachments
326197__ra_m.jpg
326197__ra_m.jpg (6.57 KiB) Viewed 66 times

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:49 am

ionianp2 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:10 pm
Thank you folks.

Oragex the video you made about welding a new flex pip to your OEM cat, was that after trying the ebay downflex? In the end I wasn't quite clear on which flex you bought. I believe it was an 8" 2" ID with interlock, correct?

I first put a good quality flex pipe (Vibrant brand - they also sell off Ebay) and kept the original cat (so cut and swapped the downflex section and welded the new one to the original cat). However, the garage who did the job was really poor and it didn't weld the flex section in the correct position, which put stress on the flex section and caused it to leak soon after. This is why it's really important to find a place who knows how to adjust the new part when welding it to the cat. If you go this, way, I absolutely recommend the TurboFlex Couplings with Interlock Liner. https://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/ ... =1527_1064 Saying this because there is confusion over Internet if you really need the Interlock Liner or not, some people think it's only for turbo engines, etc.. In reality I recommend spending a few extra dollars for this feature no matter the engine, because the construction is much more solid. Having said that, the chinese flex couplings all say they have interlock liner which often times is not true.

Then I went with a full aftermarket flex and cat prewelded - much like the one posted by MDK above. These are not bad - if you get lucky to get one that doesn't cause a CEL, but I found out they are very often times poorly positioned (brackets, flanges) so fitting is a problem and when this happens it puts stress on the flex section which can cause it to leak prematurely.

About the size of the flex pipe alone, it's good to keep in mind that these measures are always only an approximation. It will depend how is the flex pipe welded both on the front flange and on the cat side - depends where exactly the old flex pipe is chopped off the exhaust, the angle is positioned, etc. It is pretty much an adjustment thing, so any measure may or may not work the same on every car. The very best is to find someone really used with such welding and who knows where to cut and how to position the pipe sections. They may even lift the car and recommend a seize for the flex section. Surely an exhaust shop should be a good place to try

2003 2.4i S60 automatic 125k miles
DIY Volvo repairs videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s0FSVSOT_c

ionianp2
United States of America
ionianp2

Post by ionianp2 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:39 am

Thank you all for your helpful feedback. The next step would be to get an estimate on what it costs to replace the flex at a good muffler shop. I’d rather do that and save the OEM cat.

As for the muffler, maybe I’ll take my chances with the Starla unless I find a southern used OEM muffler.

I don’t think it would hurt to drill some small holes for any moisture to escape. Maybe even paint the welding spots with high temp engine block paint to prevent them from rusting.

Once again thank you!

vtl
Year and Model: 2005 XC70
United States of America
vtl

Post by vtl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:26 am

MDK wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:14 am
Rockauto... 225$ ..2004 non turbo S60
Snabb sells a stainless steel 3" downpipe for $495, a piece of workmanship. I wish I can weld like this some time :) The quality is on par with Volvo original downpipe.

2005 XC70 250k
2016 XC60 40k