IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Help trouble shooting 240 dL that won't idle..

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on all Volvo's "mid era" rear wheel drive Volvos.

1975 - 1993 240
1983 - 1992 740
1982 - 1991 760
1986 - 1991 780
1990 - 1998 940
1990 - 1998 960
1997 - 1998 V90/S90

Jamvo
Year and Model: 98 v70
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Jamvo

Help trouble shooting 240 dL that won't idle..

Post by Jamvo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Hello and thanks for any help!!
I recently started to fix up an 87 240 DL in the US, so that’s a b230f auto. It ran fine before, sometimes died when going into gear but was fine with gas. Now I replaced the engine harness and cleaned all the connections and what I could up, and I’ve run into two/three issues. Mainly that now it won’t idle for long. It starts up fine and will go a good 10 seconds before it chokes and dies, if you give it gas it’ll rev up but will immediately start choking again after.
So..
1. I cleaned the TB when I removed the intake (new gasket on intake) and I may have messed up the tps? It clicks like it should but I don’t have an ohm meter to check it. Can I just unplug it and see if it doesn’t stall?
2. 1 injector maybe leaking a tiny bit, but it just looks damp around the base of injector and I have new o-rings to put in. But I plan to replace the pcv soon so I want to wait until that comes and I’ll take the intake off again..
3. I wasn’t completely sure on where the vacuum lines all connected nor could I find a good diagram.. mainly the big pcv hose
4. Does the wire to the injectors have a specific order or can anyone go to any spot?

Any help is appreciated. I double checked the grounds, and everything I touched seems hooked up properly.

Thanks again. This is my first big project (where I’m doing more than suspension work or something) and it’s been a great experience! Hope my Vo can be on the road soon!

93Regina
Year and Model: 93:240/940
Has thanked: 0
93Regina

Re: Help trouble shooting 240 dL that won't idle..

Post by 93Regina » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Removing injectors with fuel rail....energize fuel pumps quickly...

Or, remove spark plugs, and energize fuel pumps for several seconds or more...do you smell fuel in one of the cylinders?

volvolugnut
Year and Model: 2001 v70
United States of America
volvolugnut

Post by volvolugnut » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:48 am

Sounds like you have a fuel supply problem. If this car has sat for a while before you started to fix up, it may have clogged fuel lines, clogged fuel filters ( I believe has in tank and external fuel filters) or failing fuel pumps ( I believe it has in tank and main fuel pumps). Start checking by directing fuel hose at engine into a safe contained and cranking engine. Should get a good stream of clear fuel. If weak stream or dirty, work your way back to tank.

volvolugnut

VolvoBrett
Year and Model: 1988 240
Australia
VolvoBrett

Post by VolvoBrett » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:33 am

Have had this problem on my 88, 240. Traced it to a bad connection in a connector on the firewall at the left side. Only found it after having start issues with no power to injectors. It also the same a problem with the same connector.

I would recommend checking the throttle position switch itself. It's is a simple switch, one at for and one for full throttle. It is NOT a resistive sensor.

VolvoBrett
Year and Model: 1988 240
Australia
VolvoBrett

Post by VolvoBrett » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:42 am

Have had this problem on my 88, 240. Traced it to a bad connection within a connector on the firewall at the left side. Only found it after having non start issues with no power to injectors that was located in the same connector.

I would recommend checking the throttle position switch itself too. It's is a simple switch, either on or off. one for idle and one for full throttle. It is NOT a resistive sensor.