IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

AGM battery on P2 models?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Xand3r
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
Been thanked: 0
Canada
Xand3r

AGM battery on P2 models?

Post by Xand3r » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:48 am

Hello everyone, need to replace the battery on my '05 xc90, 2.5T. Was thinking about an h6 agm energizer (made by johnsons ctrl) with the same capacity and RC as OEM but with 760cca, sold at costco for the same price as the dealer is selling its battery, but with much longer warranty (5yrs full and another 3.5 yrs prorated). Now, the big question is: is there any problem if I'll put this agm battery, since the all system (meaning alternator and the cem program) wasn't "designed" for this kind of a battery. Have anyone had any kind of electrical problems. I know it should be plug'n'play, but the thing that the agm has a different resistance doesn't make me sure on my choise. Thanks a lot everyone, best regards.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Re: AGM battery on P2 models???

Post by Rattnalle » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:15 am

I've heard several people who says they've done so without noticing a difference. Apart from probably better battery life since they charge faster.

I'd have done so as well if i wasn't a cheapskate.

Xand3r
Year and Model: 2005 XC90
Been thanked: 0
Canada
Xand3r

Post by Xand3r » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:41 am

))), my oem is 9 yo, it is still cranking, but I don't want it to die on me next winter...

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Masscomguru

Post by Masscomguru » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:06 am

I have a 2010 v8 and just put an AGM H8 in. So far so good. I went through two diehards in two years. I know the charging system had changed over the years so I am not sure if the two are apples to apples. Last night I did a double feature at a Drive-In so the radio was on for almost 4 hours. The low battery message came on at the end but there was still plenty of cranking power. The starts are also much stronger.
These users thanked the author Masscomguru for the post:
Xand3r

mrbrian200
Year and Model: 2006 S60 2.5T FWD
United States of America
mrbrian200

Post by mrbrian200 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:21 pm

The charge rate/voltage required by AGM batteries is a little different than for standard lead acid. Hence why (better/more expensive) newer battery chargers will either say "for AGM" or have a switch to modify the charge rate characteristics/voltage for AGM. You can put an AGM into a vehicle that wasn't designed for AGM, however, the battery's expected service life will be shortened somewhat.

This is why I suspect most aftermarket AGM batteries have a shorter warranty period than their standard battery counterparts: despite being a superior battery technology they know that in most cases AGM batteries are being installed in older vehicles that weren't designed for them.
These users thanked the author mrbrian200 for the post:
Xand3r

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
ggleavitt

Re: AGM battery on P2 models?

Post by ggleavitt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:08 am

Was some discussion on another site about batteries, see https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... -Questions and https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... my-battery for a couple examples.

Both H6/48 and H8/49 batteries may be fitted (battery bracket moves), I have a group 49 battery in both vehicles ('05 got the '08s larger lead acid battery when it swapped over to AGM).

edit 082719- remove "AGM" highlight from second link.
These users thanked the author ggleavitt for the post:
Xand3r

2005 2.5T AWD-198k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-127k